Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Network connectivity lost on startup despite all indicators OK


21 Sep 2012   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Network connectivity lost on startup despite all indicators OK

I have a frustrating problem with my internet/network adapter. It is an
Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) connected to a Netgear DGN 2000 router, with one other computer connected that works fine.

When the computer boots up, the internet connection on my computer appears to be fine, but no websites will load. All troubleshooting finds nothing wrong, all indicators and lights appear to be fine. Everything that can be updated or reset has been done to no avail.

There is one procedure that works to fix this problem, and bear with me because it is very silly and completely illogical, but it works.

I unplug the ethernet cable and replace it with an old, unreliable cable, attempt to connect with it (no connection of course because it's a dud) then reconnect the new cable and all works perfectly - no reboot, no reset, just a magic cable that somehow makes it work. The same procedure but just taking out the existing cable and putting it back in does not work. Resetting the router does not work. Disabling the adapter and then enabling it does not work. Unplugging the other computer does not work.

Edit: Forgot to add - while the old cable is in I run troubleshooter so it realises a dud cable is in...

Please, can anyone help me resolve this madness, because it is driving me insane!



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Sep 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

If you can post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine it would be most helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2012   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I tried to post a screen shot, it said it would post when it was approved, but never did so I'll try again. Maybe I'm not allowed? I'll make it smaller... :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Sep 2012   #4
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 8.1 Enterprise
 
 

Hello Ixtila, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Please see: Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2012   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks Brink, just put me in a corner in a dunce cap :P lol

Trying again:


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ixtila View Post
Thanks Brink, just put me in a corner in a dunce cap :P lol

Trying again:
According to the ipconfig you should be online.

Which A/V software do you have installed?

Have you tried resetting winsock or the TCP/IP stack?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2012   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thanks Chev65, I'm not surprised. As I said, everything appears to be ok, there should not be a problem. It occurs on startup, but according to all checks it's fine and once I do the silly cable thing it's perfect and doesn't drop out again unless I start playing around with the adapter settings. Right now I just don't shut down.

A/V is Norton 360 (and yes I've heard it can cause problems).

Not sure how to reset winsock or tcp/ip, but will work on it and get back to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2012   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ixtila View Post
Thanks Chev65, I'm not surprised. As I said, everything appears to be ok, there should not be a problem. It occurs on startup, but according to all checks it's fine and once I do the silly cable thing it's perfect and doesn't drop out again unless I start playing around with the adapter settings. Right now I just don't shut down.

A/V is Norton 360 (and yes I've heard it can cause problems).

Not sure how to reset winsock or tcp/ip, but will work on it and get back to you.


Fix Winsock Manually on Windows 7

1. Open up the command line utility and enter:
netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)
2. Reboot your PC

Besides resetting winsock and TCP/IP you should definitely update the driver for the Atheros AR8151, or you should at least try a different driver version for this adaptor.

It's hard to say if Norton is causing this issue or not but starting up in safe mode with networking might be worth trying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

Fix Winsock Manually on Windows 7

1. Open up the command line utility and enter:
netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)
2. Reboot your PC

Besides resetting winsock and TCP/IP you should definitely update the driver for the Atheros AR8151, or you should at least try a different driver version for this adaptor.

It's hard to say if Norton is causing this issue or not but starting up in safe mode with networking might be worth trying.
Thanks Chev65,

Tried all of those, no change. It occurs to me that the adapter might not be waking up properly, it's connecting but not working and somehow the cable trick wakes it up? Just pulling things out of the air here...

Edit: I have found there is a new driver, but am having trouble finding a download. Will let you know what happens.

Edit: Driver updated - no fix. :P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Network connectivity lost on startup despite all indicators OK




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Network connectivity lost on startup despite all indicators OK
Thread Forum
Connectivity lost after Windows update General Discussion
Lost Internet Connectivity; Connected to "Unidentified Network" Network & Sharing
Solved Internet traffic connectivity lost Network & Sharing
Wifi connectivity lost after sleep mode Network & Sharing
Lost network connectivity Network & Sharing
Lost Internet Connectivity, and more issues. Network & Sharing
Lost all32-bit internet connectivity Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33