Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Wireless haywire!

19 Sep 2009   #1
tomween1

Windows 7 Premium, SP1 64-Bit
 
 
Wireless haywire!

I have several computers using XP and 3 using 7. On my XP drive I can view all computers on my home group but in Windows 7 I see my computer and one other.

In the "Network and Sharing Center" I click see full map to the far right. It shows my computer connected to the router and then to the Internet. Until earlier today I saw two other computers on my home network but nest to each of these computers an arrow was pointing to a big ?. I tried selecting fix problem on each of the other computers i goes through the motions and says there is a problem w/ the network???

OK so how do I start from scratch and also see the XP computers all in one group? We all want to be able to share files. I also want to be able to control the other desktops.

I have worked on this for several days and seem to get further and further away from a solution. I think I need to start from the beginning all over again, but I want to do it right and see everything.

Thanks in advance


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Sep 2009   #2
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Do you have XP SP3? Is it XP Home or Pro? Did you install LLTD on your XP machines? Are all computers part of the same workgroup? Do you have any third party firewalls installed on any of the computers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #3
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tomween1 View Post
I have several computers using XP and 3 using 7. On my XP drive I can view all computers on my home group but in Windows 7 I see my computer and one other.

In the "Network and Sharing Center" I click see full map to the far right. It shows my computer connected to the router and then to the Internet. Until earlier today I saw two other computers on my home network but nest to each of these computers an arrow was pointing to a big ?. I tried selecting fix problem on each of the other computers i goes through the motions and says there is a problem w/ the network???

OK so how do I start from scratch and also see the XP computers all in one group? We all want to be able to share files. I also want to be able to control the other desktops.

I have worked on this for several days and seem to get further and further away from a solution. I think I need to start from the beginning all over again, but I want to do it right and see everything.

Thanks in advance
Before you start changing anything, first disable all firewalls on all computers.
In 99% of the cases it is the culprit for not showing all computers.

When after doing that, it works ok, examine the firewall rules closely to find out which rule is blocking the view.

Work with one enabled firewall at a time.

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Sep 2009   #4
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I recommend removing firewall applications instead of merely disabling them. I've run into quite a few situations where the disabled firewall still caused network problems, and the problems disappeared only after the applications were removed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Sep 2009   #5
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
I recommend removing firewall applications instead of merely disabling them. I've run into quite a few situations where the disabled firewall still caused network problems, and the problems disappeared only after the applications were removed.
True, that would be second step if disabling doesn't work.

Thanks for the addition.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #6
tomween1

Windows 7 Premium, SP1 64-Bit
 
 

"Do you have XP SP3? Is it XP Home or Pro? Did you install LLTD on your XP machines? Are all of the same workgroup? Do you have any third party firewalls installed on any of the computers?"

No to sp3. XP Home. No LLTD. All computers are on same workgroupe and all are ciewable when using XP On my first boot disk. All have the same firewall installed and all have been configured.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #7
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tomween1 View Post
"Do you have XP SP3? Is it XP Home or Pro? Did you install LLTD on your XP machines? Are all of the same workgroup? Do you have any third party firewalls installed on any of the computers?"

No to sp3. XP Home. No LLTD. All computers are on same workgroupe and all are ciewable when using XP On my first boot disk. All have the same firewall installed and all have been configured.
What firewall is that?

And have you tried disabling them all?
Or even uninstalling them?

I just solved a guys problem who's wireless card seemed to be broken.

Turned out it was Zonealarm.

After uninstall of ZA, all was fine.

So it goes to show that with network problems the first thing to take out of the equation is the firewalls.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #8
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

In order for the network map to function with XP and Vista/7, you need to install LLTD. I always recommend installing it when mixing XP and Vista/7 machines. If you can't see XP machines from Vista/7 machines, install LLTD. You should also install SP3.

Remove your third party firewall software. If things start working, your firewall software is the culprit.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #9
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
In order for the network map to function with XP and Vista/7, you need to install LLTD. I always recommend installing it when mixing XP and Vista/7 machines. You should also install SP3.
Sorry but all of the above is nonsense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #10
kegobeer

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Really? You can get the network map to function without LLTD on XP machines? I've never seen that before. You also don't recommend installing SP3 on XP machines? Why is that? Please post your reasons - your reply of "that's nonsense" doesn't really help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Wireless haywire!




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD Issue Custom Build PC, Screen and Sound go Haywire
Hello I've been having a BSOD issue that started last month. It has happened 7 times and i've ran memtest and checked my hard drives and they appear to running smoothly. The issue occurs when my computer has been left on for a while and often begins with the screen blurring and sound going...
BSOD Help and Support
Hard Drive Management Gone Haywire
Hello, Yesterday, I decided to get rid of the 199MB System Reserved partition in my hard drive setup. I had the 199MB partition at the front, then a 150GB data/system partition, then the rest was unallocated space. Using MiniTools partition manager software, I deleted the 199MB System Reserved...
General Discussion
Printer Services Haywire & "Add Printer" Broken
Hi. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Suddenly, my printer no longer receives recognition from the computer. It worked just fine for over 6 months, and simply won't be recognized any longer. Re-installing drivers doesn't help. Any ideas? I have attached some pictures for reference. ...
Hardware & Devices
PCI-E intel 5300 wireless doesn't work. Then the USB wireless adapter
Dear all, I thought I have met this problem before before my two wireless adapters both stopped working. PCI-E INTEL 5300 TP-LINK WN821N My case is a little different from those I found on this forum. 1. When I upgraded my thinkpad x200 to win7 64bit, I don't have "Wireless Network...
Network & Sharing
W7 Going Haywire.....
I was using W7(ultimate) for a while.Suddenly one day things started disappearing.Media player,The default gadgets etc.tried some things didn't work. So i formated the c drive and gave a new Installation.(professional). Now after a reboot, Windows explorer dissappeared,gadgets are gone,The...
Installation & Setup
csrss.exe is going haywire
I know I can probably just restart my system for this to reset itself, but it this been happening to me a lot recently. Sometimes I will compile & run a program in VC++ or DevC++ and the <name>.exe file will become unstable (non responsive) so I have to resort to killing the process. After...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App