I've been fortunate to find many solution on these resourceful forums. Alas, my PC was affected by malware that has since been removed but probably left a few bad gifts behind.
- All other networked devices work fine and can access to modem/router/Internet.
On the affected PC:
- Windows Firewall could not be turned on. A backup registry file fixed that.
- Public network appears BUT home network cannot be created/joined/shared.
- All applications run fine.
- Uninstalled MS Security Essentials (could not run after malware issue).
- Using wireless USB can detect networks but troubleshooter shows unable to connect.
- "Identifying" and black exclamation/yellow triangle shows up over network icon.
- Cannot flush or reset dns from command line.
- All important services have been (re)set to automatic (delay).
I have read many threads related to the "Identifying" issue but have seen little evidence of a quality fix. Please help. Thank you in advance.