Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Share XP drive with Windows 7?


20 Sep 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Share XP drive with Windows 7?

Okay, so I've set up network drives before going from XP to XP.. but a long LONG time ago and can't really remember what I did. Looking through Windows 7 also, it's all changed and a bit confusing :$.

I have two computers.. my main computer running Windows 7 64bit, and my server computer is running XP Pro 32bit. I want to have my server's 250GB drive (the only drive in the computer) accessible via my main computer as if it were plugged in.. so under 'my computer' it'll show something like "Server X:", X being the drive letter giving to the server's drive, and when I double click it I'll see Windows, Program Files.. everything and un-restricted.

Could anyone help be get this sorted and set up?
If anyone has links to a tutorial / step-through that would be very much appreciated.

I need my server (localhost) computer up and running as soon as I can as it's for my home business.

Many thanks to all that help .

Cheers, Ace.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Sep 2009   #2

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acer0169 View Post
Okay, so I've set up network drives before going from XP to XP.. but a long LONG time ago and can't really remember what I did. Looking through Windows 7 also, it's all changed and a bit confusing :$.

I have two computers.. my main computer running Windows 7 64bit, and my server computer is running XP Pro 32bit. I want to have my server's 250GB drive (the only drive in the computer) accessible via my main computer as if it were plugged in.. so under 'my computer' it'll show something like "Server X:", X being the drive letter giving to the server's drive, and when I double click it I'll see Windows, Program Files.. everything and un-restricted.

Could anyone help be get this sorted and set up?
If anyone has links to a tutorial / step-through that would be very much appreciated.

I need my server (localhost) computer up and running as soon as I can as it's for my home business.

Many thanks to all that help .

Cheers, Ace.
Hi Ace,

Welcome.

I will give a hypothetical example.

Suppose your username (with admin rigths) on the xp machine is "Ace".

Suppose your xp computer name is "xp-server"

Suppose you have a shared folder on the server named "data"


1. In Windows 7 open the explorer in computer view. (with all the drives in view)

2. In the bar click on "map network drive"

3. In the next dialog chose a drive letter (Z: will do fine)

4. check the "connect using different credentials" box
(leave all other options as is.)

5. type \\xp-server\data

6. click on "Finish"

In the next dialog type your username and password of the xp machine.

Check "remember my credentials"

and click on "OK"


That's it.

Good luck

.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

I'm assuming you've already taken the usual steps of putting all machines on the same workgroup, and you've been able to connect without any problems. Is that correct?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Sep 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote:
Hi Ace,

Welcome.

I will give a hypothetical example.

Suppose your username (with admin rigths) on the xp machine is "Ace".

Suppose your xp computer name is "xp-server"

Suppose you have a shared folder on the server named "data"


1. In Windows 7 open the explorer in computer view. (with all the drives in view)

2. In the bar click on "map network drive"

3. In the next dialog chose a drive letter (Z: will do fine)

4. check the "connect using different credentials" box
(leave all other options as is.)

5. type \\xp-server\data

6. click on "Finish"

In the next dialog type your username and password of the xp machine.

Check "remember my credentials"

and click on "OK"


That's it.

Good luck
I get a "the network path was not found" error each time?
Both computers are on the defaul group name "WORKGROUP". The server computer is called "server0169" and there is a folder "C:\SERVER" on that computer which I have set to "share on network" under the name "SERVER".

Any ideas why it can't find it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #5

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acer0169 View Post
Quote:
Hi Ace,

Welcome.

I will give a hypothetical example.

Suppose your username (with admin rigths) on the xp machine is "Ace".

Suppose your xp computer name is "xp-server"

Suppose you have a shared folder on the server named "data"


1. In Windows 7 open the explorer in computer view. (with all the drives in view)

2. In the bar click on "map network drive"

3. In the next dialog chose a drive letter (Z: will do fine)

4. check the "connect using different credentials" box
(leave all other options as is.)

5. type \\xp-server\data

6. click on "Finish"

In the next dialog type your username and password of the xp machine.

Check "remember my credentials"

and click on "OK"


That's it.

Good luck
I get a "the network path was not found" error each time?
Both computers are on the defaul group name "WORKGROUP". The server computer is called "server0169" and there is a folder "C:\SERVER" on that computer which I have set to "share on network" under the name "SERVER".

Any ideas why it can't find it?
Is the username you are using to login on the xp machine, and you are now using to logon to the share, present under the security settings of the "Server" folder? and with full permissions?

And did you give the share "everyone"with full permissions?

Temporarily disable firewalls on both machines to make sure nothing is blocking the acces.

Greetz
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hi squonksc,

Thank you for the continued support, it's very much appreciated!

I have overlooked setting zonealarm to work with my LAN. By default, the thing blocks pretty much everything. I went through the settings looking for what needed to be changed, came across "zones" which allows me to either "trust" or "block" IP addresses or IP ranges.

I allowed a range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99 so anyone on my network can find the home server.. and presto! Works fine . I've now got "server" shown under my computer with instant access to my other computer.

Can't thank you enough!

I've been part of forums such as TomsHardware etc for a long long time.. and most of their "experts" are very lazy and take days to come up with some answers. I'm sure to stick around on these forums and hopefully help a few as I go .

Thanks again.
Have a beer on me .

Ace.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Sep 2009   #7

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acer0169 View Post
Hi squonksc,

Thank you for the continued support, it's very much appreciated!

I have overlooked setting zonealarm to work with my LAN. By default, the thing blocks pretty much everything. I went through the settings looking for what needed to be changed, came across "zones" which allows me to either "trust" or "block" IP addresses or IP ranges.

I allowed a range of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.99 so anyone on my network can find the home server.. and presto! Works fine . I've now got "server" shown under my computer with instant access to my other computer.

Can't thank you enough!

I've been part of forums such as TomsHardware etc for a long long time.. and most of their "experts" are very lazy and take days to come up with some answers. I'm sure to stick around on these forums and hopefully help a few as I go .

Thanks again.
Have a beer on me .

Ace.
Glad it worked.

You are the fifth person in two days who had problems with ZA at default settings.

Sadly they don't serve beers on SF.


Attached Images
 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Share XP drive with Windows 7?




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Share XP drive with Windows 7?
Thread Forum
windows 7 network drive share? Network & Sharing
Win 7(32b) won't share second drive Network & Sharing
Share C drive from Seven to XP Network & Sharing
One drive won't share, the rest does Network & Sharing
Why can't I access my NAS share, linux share, etc. in Windows 7? Network & Sharing
Best way to share a drive on the internet? Network & Sharing
cannot share drive between 2 win7 cpu's Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33