Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Missing notification area icon

01 Oct 2012   #1
koalaw

Windows 7
 
 
Missing notification area icon

For some unusual reason, the network icon has disappeared in the notification area by the clock. I have tried rebooting. Once it reappeared and then I noticed later it was gone again. I have tried going to the customization list and the name is there but not the icon.
This may sound petty to some people, but I really would like to have my network icon back.
And yes I am on the network but the icon is missing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Oct 2012   #2
JDobbsy1987

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koalaw View Post
I have tried going to the customization list and the name is there but not the icon.
When you click on customisation, do you get the following option?
Name:  Notification Area Icons.png
Views: 12
Size:  4.6 KB

System Icons - Turn On or Off

or

Notification Area Icons - Hide or Show System Icons and Notifications

Regards,
JDobbsy1987


My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Oct 2012   #3
koalaw

Windows 7
 
 

Yes I do, but see that item beside the name??? Mine has no icon showing.

Most of the others have icons, but not one for my network??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


10 Oct 2012   #4
SuperSaiyan

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Hey,

I just joined and this is the exact same problem I'm having...on several computers actually but completely random. The icon in the systray that shows connected to ethernet/wireless has vanished ... and when I go to notification customization (refer to post above mine), and then system icons, turn on and off ... the network notification is greyed out! In addition, the action center notification is grayed out also. PLUS, if you look at and click on "change adapter settings" (right click network then properties under start menu), and then click properties of the wireless adapter, I don't have a wireless networks tab. I have spent days on this issue and the only way I can get rid of it is to do a reinstall of windows. I myself have tried so many different things (common sense stuff plus stuff I've read on message boards), that I'm desparate for new things to try.

I'd be willing to bet it's something simple and I've just over-thought it! I will be watching this post anxiously. I hope you don't think I'm thread-jacking...

Matthew
"the new guy"
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2012   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by koalaw View Post
For some unusual reason, the network icon has disappeared in the notification area by the clock. I have tried rebooting. Once it reappeared and then I noticed later it was gone again. I have tried going to the customization list and the name is there but not the icon.
This may sound petty to some people, but I really would like to have my network icon back.
And yes I am on the network but the icon is missing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
From what I have read this problem is caused by certain A/V software installations and is fairly common. Multiple restarts can sometimes fix the problem.

If you have an A/V installed you might try installing a different version.


Have you tried clearing the notification tray cache?

There's an option in CCleaner that does that, it's lower in the options - I don't know the exact name.

The catch is that after you do that you have to kill explorer.exe and then start it again.

or see the tutorial below for how:

Notification Area Icons - Reset

Or try this:

Step 1: CTRL + SHIFT + ESC (brings up the task manager)
Step 2: On processes tab find "Explorer.exe"
Step 3: Click End Process
Step 4: Click File--> New Task
Step 5: Type Explorer.exe
by restarting this executable corrects the settings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Oct 2012   #6
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SuperSaiyan View Post
Hey,

I just joined and this is the exact same problem I'm having...on several computers actually but completely random. The icon in the systray that shows connected to ethernet/wireless has vanished ... and when I go to notification customization (refer to post above mine), and then system icons, turn on and off ... the network notification is greyed out! In addition, the action center notification is grayed out also. PLUS, if you look at and click on "change adapter settings" (right click network then properties under start menu), and then click properties of the wireless adapter, I don't have a wireless networks tab. I have spent days on this issue and the only way I can get rid of it is to do a reinstall of windows. I myself have tried so many different things (common sense stuff plus stuff I've read on message boards), that I'm desparate for new things to try.

I'd be willing to bet it's something simple and I've just over-thought it! I will be watching this post anxiously. I hope you don't think I'm thread-jacking...

Matthew
"the new guy"
Hello Matthew, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Since the system icon is grayed out, you might see if this may be able to help.

System Icons - Enable or Disable

Hope this helps,
Shawn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Missing notification area icon




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Zoom icon in Notification Area missing
I used to have a zoom icon in the Notification Area with IE9. It has vanished. The Zoom facility is still available in the page menu but I would like the icon down on the taskbar, any thoughts please?
Browsers & Mail
Icon Notification Area Locks Computer
No matter how I try to access the Icon Notification Area to customize hidden task bar icons, Win 7 freezes to a great extent. :( I am running 64 bit Win 7 SP1. Under these conditions, when I put my pointer onto the task bar it changes into a hand with a pointing index finger. The Icon...
General Discussion
Notification area icon scrambled up
I been searching high and low for a solution to this problem seems that after my boot up session my notification icon's are not matching with the program listed. I supplied a picture so you can get a image of what I mean. I uninstalled dameon tools and the icon is also still present is there...
General Discussion
Taskbar notification area icon spacing
Hi all! Is it possible somehow to modify the vertical spacing of the icons in the notification area (systray) ? I set my taskbar height bigger than the default, so my icons are placed into more rows: http://www.sevenforums.com/picture.php?pictureid=1274&albumid=198&dl=1253871737&thumb=1 ...
Customization
Show Icon in Notification Area
"Show Icon in Notification Area when Connected" was removed from connection properties in W7 in the pre-RC builds and there was talk of it being reinstated for the RC but I can't find it anywhere in RC7100. I've got kind of used to seeing that net traffic blinking in my tray; anyone heard any more...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App