several days ago, I started having problem with Windows 7 not seeing the internet - i have the big red X through the network icon in the systems tray. This comnputer is wired into the router. What's I've done to fix this:
1. Replaced my wireless router with a new Netgear 950
2. Replaced my ethernet cable between the router and the PC
3. Deleted the Network Adaptor in Device Manager forcing Windows to re-install it
4. Purchased a new gibit NIC card
5. Diabled the NIC on the Chipset in the BIOS to force Windows to use the new card, (btw, both seem to be getting packets as the yellow and green light are lit up when the ethernet cable is attached.
6. Booted up in SAFE MODE with networking
7. Did a system restore to a previous date. (This worked once, but when, after a shut down, I rebooted and once again got the big red X, a second system restore didn't fix the problem).
At the moment, I have both adapter present and visible in Device Manager.
When run ipconfig/all however, I don't see an entry for an ETHERNET ADAPTOR, should I?
I'm down to re-installing windows - which I really don't want to do.
Yes, all the other devices on my home network, (lap tops, iphones, and ipad see the network just fine - - - arrrrgh!