Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: LAN not connected


22 Sep 2009   #1

Win 7
 
 
LAN not connected

Hi guys, so happy to find this forum. I have looked for this exact issue but so far haven't been able to come up with a working solution.

I installed Win 7 a month ago. Final beta build. Install went smoothly. No issues until a week ago. LAN is no longer connected. I tried the usual fixes ( uninstalled and rebooted, unchecked auto detect ). It says install failed after re-boot. I also tried command prompt ip reset but don't know how to run this as administrator.

My lappie is also running the same build ( HP ) with no issues at all. The 3rd. machine on the network is running XP Pro. My ISP knows nothing about Win 7 so won't troubleshoot.

I'd appreciate any help you all can offer.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Sep 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by inane View Post
Hi guys, so happy to find this forum. I have looked for this exact issue but so far haven't been able to come up with a working solution.

I installed Win 7 a month ago. Final beta build. Install went smoothly. No issues until a week ago. LAN is no longer connected. I tried the usual fixes ( uninstalled and rebooted, unchecked auto detect ). It says install failed after re-boot. I also tried command prompt ip reset but don't know how to run this as administrator.

My lappie is also running the same build ( HP ) with no issues at all. The 3rd. machine on the network is running XP Pro. My ISP knows nothing about Win 7 so won't troubleshoot.

I'd appreciate any help you all can offer.
Hi and welcome to sevenforums.

More than likely its a driver issue. can you go into device manager (type device manager in search) and look for your network adapters. there should be two wired and wifi. Is the wifi there? does it have a yellow triangle over it?

let me know what the results are

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #3

 

Unplug your LAN cord. Plug it back in.

Test.

Simple, works sometimes - long history.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


22 Sep 2009   #4

Win 7
 
 
re: LAN not connected

*More than likely its a driver issue. can you go into device manager (type device manager in search) and look for your network adapters. there should be two wired and wifi. Is the wifi there? does it have a yellow triangle over it?*



Thanks for the welcome. DM shows that only my wifi is connected. When I go to properties of my 1394, is shows not connected. I've tried uninstalling and rebooting, no luck. DM tells me that installation failed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #5

 

1394 is firewire. Do you have a firewire network connection?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #6

Win 7
 
 

DM shows only the wireless adapter ( Marvell Yukon 8056 ), nothing else. Properties of Marvell show "this device is working properly". No yellow mark on this adapter.

Other devices show Ethernet Controller with a yellow ? as well as SM Bus Controller with a yellow ? .

When I look at network connections, nothing shows there but the disconnected 1394.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by inane View Post
DM shows only the wireless adapter ( Marvell Yukon 8056 ), nothing else. Properties of Marvell show "this device is working properly". No yellow mark on this adapter.

Other devices show Ethernet Controller with a yellow ? as well as SM Bus Controller with a yellow ? .

When I look at network connections, nothing shows there but the disconnected 1394.
Looks like that you have no driver installed for your ethernet card

Can you tell us the model of your MOBO (Asus if I read correctly) and the manufacture/model of your ethernet card

I will find you a driver and link it here
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #8

 

You seriously need a driver update (SM Bus). All other drivers depend on this. Then, of course, you need to update the NIC driver.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
You seriously need a driver update (SM Bus). All other drivers depend on this. Then, of course, you need to update the NIC driver.
I completely read over the SM BUS controller...

...anyways Antman is right...that comes first. We can then move on to the ethernet controller
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Sep 2009   #10

 

I got your back, Darth Z.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 LAN not connected




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: LAN not connected
Thread Forum
VPN Connected but no network access; TCP/IP Not connected Network & Sharing
Connected but not connected Network & Sharing
Solved Connected to Wireless network, but windows says Not connected Network & Sharing
VPN connected, no packets being sent Network & Sharing
Connected but not? Browsers & Mail
Connected but under 1 Mb/s Network & Sharing
Not Connected!! Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33