Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 and problem with samba shares


23 Oct 2012   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Windows 7 and problem with samba shares

Good evening,


I've been trying for a week to get a Windows 7 Home Premium equipped laptop to be able to access samba shares on my home network.

The network is setup as follows:

1) "master" modem/router connected to Internet (192.168.1.1)
2) "slave" router connected to master router (192.168.2.1)
3) NAS physically connected to slave router via Gigabit LAN / static IP address 192.168.2.2
4) Laptop n1 running WXP (192.168.2.10) and Laptop n2 running Windows 7 (192.168.2.7) connected to slave router via WLAN and DHCP using "reserved IP address by MAC address" feature of the router (802.11g with WPA/WPA2)


The problem is that the Windows 7 machine won't see either of the NAS or WXP machine shares.

The WXP machine can see and access the Windows 7 machine shares.


The Windows 7 machine is setup as follows:

- windows firewall OFF
- network connection configured as a Home/Work network, HomeGroup feature not used
- no domain, workgroup named WORKGROUP, same as WXP and NAS.
- in advanced network settings, file and printer sharing enabled, network discovery enabled, public folders enabled
- Server service running.

In the File Explorer in the Network folder the Windows 7 machine sees itself as well as DLNA/UPnP devices (Twonky Media Server running on NAS, the NAS itself (but not it's shares), the slave router), but no SMB shares.

The NAS user accounts is configured with a user account using the same credentials as the Windows 7 administrator account.

Using the NAS finder program (QNAP finder) sees the NAS on the network but cannot map a drive or see the shares. Error message saying that the server cannot be found on the network. Trying to map a share as a drive in File Explorer doesn't work, even when using NAS IP address or name.

However, access to NAS' web interface works OK by HTTP...


After having tried to find a solution on QNAP's forums, I'm now turning to you hoping that you can help me out ;-)

Thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Oct 2012   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flyingflatfour View Post
Good evening,


I've been trying for a week to get a Windows 7 Home Premium equipped laptop to be able to access samba shares on my home network.

The network is setup as follows:

1) "master" modem/router connected to Internet (192.168.1.1)
2) "slave" router connected to master router (192.168.2.1)
3) NAS physically connected to slave router via Gigabit LAN / static IP address 192.168.2.2
4) Laptop n1 running WXP (192.168.2.10) and Laptop n2 running Windows 7 (192.168.2.7) connected to slave router via WLAN and DHCP using "reserved IP address by MAC address" feature of the router (802.11g with WPA/WPA2)


The problem is that the Windows 7 machine won't see either of the NAS or WXP machine shares.

The WXP machine can see and access the Windows 7 machine shares.


The Windows 7 machine is setup as follows:

- windows firewall OFF
- network connection configured as a Home/Work network, HomeGroup feature not used
- no domain, workgroup named WORKGROUP, same as WXP ans NAS.
- in advanced network settings, file and printer sharing enabled, network discovery enabled, public folders enabled
- Server service running.

In the File Explorer in the Network folder the Windows 7 machine sees itself as well as DLNA/UPnP devices (Twonky Media Server running on NAS, the NAS itself (but not it's shares), the slave router), but no SMB shares.

The NAS user accounts is configured with a user account using the same credentials as the Windows 7 administrator account.

Using the NAS finder program (QNAP finder) sees the NAS on the network but cannot map a drive or see the shares. Error message saying that the server cannot be found on the network. Trying to map a share as a drive in File Explorer doesn't work, even when using NAS IP address or name.

However, access to NAS' web interface works OK by HTTP...


After having tried to find a solution on QNAP's forums, I'm now turning to you hoping that you can help me out ;-)

Thanks in advance.
For Home Premium you don't have the local security policy in order to adjust the LM and NTLM authentication levels so you will need to do that in the registry.

If the key doesn't exist you need to create it. Back up the registry first just in case.

There needs to be a DWORD named LmCompatibilityLevel set to value of 2 " at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

So open regedit and navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa then choose to create DWORD named LmCompatibilityLevel then set the value to 2 although value 1 may work.

Also according to the Samba site you may need to make another adjustment. I'm not entirely sure if this pertains to Windows 7 Home Premium or not.

Windows 7 Registry settings
There are currently two registry settings required to be added on the Windows 7 client prior to joining a Samba Domain. These are:
HKLM\System\CCS\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters DWORD DomainCompatibilityMode = 1 DWORD DNSNameResolutionRequired = 0More about the Samba share and there is an update. http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

This link explains what the different values do.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc960646.aspx

One of the LM values should allow you to connect to those Samba shares and this is about all I can find on this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2012   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Before I try this, are you sure that this applies to my case since I'm reading that this is to be able to join a Samba domain, whereas I have no domain, just a regular Microsoft Networking Workgroup.

My usage of the term "samba" comes from reading about the QNAP NAS: this is how they call Microsoft Networking service. I'm not quite sure of what is the difference between the two.

Thanks!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


24 Oct 2012   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

From what I understand Samba is a freeware SMB server, and that's what QNAP is running in their firmware.

Apparently only poeple who can see the shares but have sluggish file explorer behaviours do those registry hacks...

BTW, it doesn't explain why I cannot see the native WXP SMB shares whereas the WXP can see and access the Windows 7 SMB shares?

I'll try them nevertheless, and perhaps look into NOD32 see if it's blocking anything?

Thanks again,


Andr
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2012   #5

Windows 7 - 64bit
 
 

Try changing these settings in Control Panel>Administrator Tools>Local Security Policy:

* Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security
Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always): Disabled

* Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Restart the system after making changes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Oct 2012   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Khestra View Post
Try changing these settings in Control Panel>Administrator Tools>Local Security Policy:

* Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security
Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always): Disabled

* Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated

Restart the system after making changes.
That would be impossible on his system because he is using Windows 7 Home Premium which does not have the Local Security Policy. This is why I posted adjustments that are required in the registry.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Oct 2012   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Ok I'll try these settings soon and let you know ;-)

I also think I'm going to upgrade her computer to Windows 8 Pro in the next weeks, don't know if the problem will be the same but I guess it will.

Cheers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2012   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Good evening,

I actually opted for directly installing Windows 8 Pro on her computer which turned out to be a good decision since everything is now working fine ;-) Sorry for those who were expecting a solution for Windows 7, but I guess following the advice given above would have solved your issue.

Thanks everyone.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2012   #9

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by flyingflatfour View Post
Good evening,

I actually opted for directly installing Windows 8 Pro on her computer which turned out to be a good decision since everything is now working fine ;-) Sorry for those who were expecting a solution for Windows 7, but I guess following the advice given above would have solved your issue.

Thanks everyone.
Yes I've been using Windows 8 for months now. With Windows 8 Pro you will have access to the Local Security Policy so you can adjust those settings without having to mess with the registry.

The registry adjustments I posted for Windows 7 Home Premium have been proven to work so other's may find this thread useful.

Most likely the problem was that the Win 7 machine was just hosed with the usual missing files or virus's and other typical long term usage problems. The machine probably would have failed the sfc/scannow file check test as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 and problem with samba shares




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 and problem with samba shares
Thread Forum
Problem:i can't access shares from win 7 to win xp Network & Sharing
SAMBA share windows 7 and HP Unix Network & Sharing
Samba shares and Home Premium Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Home & Samba issues Network & Sharing
Network Shares problem Network & Sharing
Strange Network Shares Problem Network & Sharing
Network Shares problem Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33