So I'm an idiot. I'm on a 32bit Windows 7 pro box and WMP12 was streaming fine to my Onkyo NR509 receiver. One day it was twitchy (I couldn't play to the receiver, but retrospectively it is because it was on the wrong input) and under the Media Streaming Options in WMP12 where it "shows devices" for the local network I decided to remove, then re-add the receiver. Little did I know that when you remove the receiver it would never reappear in the Local Network area of WMP12 again (I was thinking it would be like a driver
where it would auto-discover the device and I'd re-add it). The receiver has a static IP and is on the same subnet. Nothing has changed w/ my network prior to the problem, or after it.
Now I cannot "Play to" my receiver. It doesn't appear there at all. The receiver does show under the "All Networks" dropdown in WMP12 but as an unknown device only. It is the right MAC address, this "unknown device" is allowed to access my media. In fact, if I use my receiver I can pull down music/video from my Windows 7 box and play it successfully to the receiver. Likewise, I can use the android and iOS apps to browse the network and see my computer and play media from it. However, I can no longer "play to" that device from WMP12 anymore.
I've tried nearly every damn tutorial (incl. all the tut's from microsofts website about 'allowing' or sharing or any other such things) and I'm at a loss.
I'm thinking I have a registry setting that has been changed that will no longer show the device under Local Network anymore so WMP12 won't see it as an available device, but I'll be damned if I can find the entry/area where that might be changed.
Any help would be GREALY appreciated.
(edit: after some more digging)
I scanned my registry for either the IP address of my receiver, or the MAC address of my receiver and I found one entry under:
then a long string.
When I look at this entry, it is clearly for the Onkyo receiver. I cannot alter, nor delete the registry entry in any way. I've tried screwing with permissions to take ownership but it always returns an error.
Additionally, I've run the RegdelNull program to see if maybe it is that I have null entries hidden deep inside the key, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. Specifically, when I tried to examine "properties" in the key it gave me errors in viewing it. When I took over ownership (which it kept giving me errors for) I saw a series of strings, but each one appeared empty. When I took ownership of each entry and tried deleting the entry, it would create a sub-key that I'd then have to take ownership of. Nothing would happen until I try deleting that sub-key and it would make a null sub-key of that afterwards which I'd have to take ownership of etc... etc...(never-ending it would seem).
I feel like this is likely the root of my problem, but I'll be damned if I can delete the key.
Very frustrating. It all stemmed from removing the receiver from my Local Networks dropdown from w/in WMP12. If that was a programming error on Microsoft's part it's a very frustrating one!