I have 2 computers on my home, one PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 and the other one running XP Home Edition SP2 , both connected to the Internet via a TL-MR3420 router and TL-WN822N adapter from TP-LINK. I have enabled file sharing on both computers, and don't have any problem to view any shared files between each computer, until now.
Everytime I try to view other computer via 'Network' menu on 7 (or Network Places on XP), I can't see my other computer which is supposedly there. So far I have tried a few attempts to analyze and solve it :
1. ping each other by IP - success.
2. ping each other by computer name - failed.
3. try to access "\\<ip> and <computer name>" from run - failed with error 0x80070035 - network path not found.
4. disable firewall on computers & router.
5. make sure few services necessary for file sharing are active.
6. re-enable wireless connection on both computers.
7. change the workgroup name.
As far as I can remember, I didn't change any settings for this one, except when I stumbled into problem trying to connect my tablet to access shared files on Windows 7 computer (via ES File Explorer app - samba service, AFAIK). I change 'log on' and 'depedencies' on few services, and revert it back straight away. I forgot the names of the services, and whether if I still can view other computer after this. I still can access those shared files via my tablet though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks