Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Networking Win 7 and XP, got something wrong :-(

14 Dec 2012   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
Networking Win 7 and XP, got something wrong :-(

Hi.

I’ve spent around a week finding information about Networking and have printed out lots of information from this forum and MS. However I still cannot get it right so here a few questions that I hope/am sure you will be able to answer.

My setup is as follows, the main PC is running Win 7 Pro 64bit, I also have a PC running Win XP Home and my wife has a laptop also running Win XP Home. It is these three that I want to network and share files across our Belkin router.
There is also another PC and a laptop in the house using our network that I do NOT want to be able to access any of the above 3 computers.

I have managed on my WIN 7 PC to see a test folder on my Win XP PC, I can open this test folder and change its contents, so far so good. I have tried to share a folder on my Win 7 PC with that same XP PC but this seems far more complicated. I have, using the tutorial “Window 7 File sharing between XP and Windows 7… “ attempted to ‘Share’ a folder but only arrived at the “Share with other home computers running window 7?” Which won’t work as I am not connecting to another Win 7 PC.

When I try share with “Specific People” it asks for a ‘NAME’ then to click ADD, I have entered my XP PC’s Name, also my WORKGROUP Name but was advised they couldn’t be found. When I somehow managed to share a folder I was told I could email the link to the recipient (I assumed my XP PC) but on opening the email on the XP PC it couldn’t find the file! (As I could not enter a ‘NAME’ I selected my name on the list below, I didn’t know what else to do so tried it anyway!)

As you and see from the above I am not very PC Savvy, so here are some questions you may be able to answer.

How do I get folders on my Win 7 to appear on my XP PC and wife’s laptop?
How do make sure only the computers I want to can access files but not other computers on the same network?
I have the same logon password on both the Win 7 and XP Pc’s will this confuse the issue?

Many thanks.
Alan.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Dec 2012   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2012   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Hi Chev65.
Thanks for the link, its all printed out so hopefully my problems should be over.



Regards
Alan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


16 Dec 2012   #4

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Er, not yet .
Printed out all 5 guides from How- To Geek. These seem to be aimed at seeing either XP or Vista from Win 7 or Win 7 to Win 7. I need to access my Win 7 from a PC running XP.

I have no problem is seeing my shared file on the XP PC and work on it from my Win 7 PC. However I cannot even get to see my Win 7 PC from my XP PC so obviously cannot access any files on the Win 7 PC.

I put a folder in my win 7 Public/shared folders called 'My Shared Folder' I clicked properties and the sharing tab, I then clicked 'Share' and then 'Everyone'. Clicked OK and was informed I could 'Not share the folder'

Damned frustrating.

I do not want to go messing around with permissions etc without being sure I know what I am doing, as otherwise I will probably screw it up completely!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2012   #5

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Try putting the folder in the root of you C: hard drive. I hope you have the Windows 7 computers set up as a business type work network NOT Homegroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2012   #6

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Is the network wired or wireless? Also be aware that in XP the default workgroup name is MSHOME but this was changed in Vista and Windows 7 to WORKGROUP. Unless you make them all the same you'll have problems using a work group.

If you already had some networking set up on the XP computers then I'd change the Windows 7 computers to use MSHOME. For the 2 machines you want to isolate, just make a different work group for them. Like OTHER or whatever.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2012   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Er, not yet .
Printed out all 5 guides from How- To Geek. These seem to be aimed at seeing either XP or Vista from Win 7 or Win 7 to Win 7. I need to access my Win 7 from a PC running XP.

I have no problem is seeing my shared file on the XP PC and work on it from my Win 7 PC. However I cannot even get to see my Win 7 PC from my XP PC so obviously cannot access any files on the Win 7 PC.

I put a folder in my win 7 Public/shared folders called 'My Shared Folder' I clicked properties and the sharing tab, I then clicked 'Share' and then 'Everyone'. Clicked OK and was informed I could 'Not share the folder'

Damned frustrating.

I do not want to go messing around with permissions etc without being sure I know what I am doing, as otherwise I will probably screw it up completely!
This will spell out the process in simpler terms.

This process will make the network a little less secure but it works well because a password isn’t used and everyone is allowed access.

1. First, know what the Computer name is and what Workgroup it belongs to.
The Workgroup name needs to be the same on all PC’s that are being networked; no matter the OS on each system. This is already setup, even if only by default, in the setup process while installing each OS.

Verify what the Windows 7 computer and workgroup names are by going to Control Panel > System and Security > System > and read information under “Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings” (The third category down).

2. Second, adjust Windows 7 settings to allow for sharing with older OS on other networked systems.

Now go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change Advanced Sharing Settings (side panel). Make sure Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, and Public Folder Sharing are all set to “on” and Password Protected Sharing is set to “off”.

Note: I recommend leaving Media sharing set to “on” and under Windows HomeGroup connections select “Allow Windows HomeGroup to manage Homegroup connections (recommended)”.

3. Third, choose which folders to share on the network and adjust properties to do so.
Drag any folders to be shared to the Public folder.
Or…
To share a specific Windows 7 folder or additional drives on the system, right-click it > Properties > Sharing Tab > Advanced Sharing > tick box for Share this folder > Apply > OK > Close. You only need to share the highest level folder, not every sub-folder. Two little people should appear on the icons of the folders that are shared.

4. Now, you MUST follow this step or the folders will not be shared despite previous steps followed.

Because Password Protected Sharing is turned off, the security permissions have to be changed on the folder(s) to allow Everyone access. Right-click the shared folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type “Everyone” (not the quotes) into the box and select OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow (e.g. Read or Write, etc.) then Apply > OK. Some messages may appear: “An error occurred while applying…” This is not unusual and can be ignored by clicking Continue.

5. Windows firewall is normally set to allow file and printer sharing but if you have a third-party firewall make sure file and printer sharing are enabled so that each machine can talk to the other(s). Do not disable the Windows firewall if it’s the only one running.

6. To see or copy files, click the Windows Orb (Start) > Network and the computers/folders/files should appear. Use two windows to drag files from one PC to another or you can copy paste them.

This post I created long ago which shows the required steps complete with pictures.
HDD sharing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2012   #8

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Thanks for the replies.
MilesAhead wrote:
Quote:
Is the network wired or wireless?
The Win 7 PC is wired (Yellow Cable) to the router, the XP PC's are connected wireless all through the same router.

Chevy65 wrote:

Quote:
4. Now, you MUST follow this step or the folders will not be shared despite previous steps followed.

Because Password Protected Sharing is turned off, the security permissions have to be changed on the folder(s) to allow Everyone access. Right-click the shared folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type “Everyone” (not the quotes) into the box and select OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow (e.g. Read or Write, etc.) then Apply > OK. Some messages may appear: “An error occurred while applying…” This is not unusual and can be ignored by clicking Continue.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give me the 'simple' details it really does help us 'simpletons' understand! Or should I say less educated?

As said on post 1 I have on our network other computers that I do not want to be able to connect to any of my computers, would selecting - Everyone - as in 4 above mean they could access my PC's?

If it was possible for them to connect to my PC's how could I block their access to the shared folder while allowing others access? Wife's access yes, sons access definitely not!!

I may not be able to try the suggestions for a day or so but will as soon as I have more time to spend on it and not try to rush it.

Many thanks
Alan.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2012   #9

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
Thanks for the replies.
MilesAhead wrote:
Quote:
Is the network wired or wireless?
The Win 7 PC is wired (Yellow Cable) to the router, the XP PC's are connected wireless all through the same router.

Chevy65 wrote:

Quote:
4. Now, you MUST follow this step or the folders will not be shared despite previous steps followed.

Because Password Protected Sharing is turned off, the security permissions have to be changed on the folder(s) to allow Everyone access. Right-click the shared folder > Properties > Security Tab > Edit > Add and type “Everyone” (not the quotes) into the box and select OK. Tick the boxes next to the permissions you want to allow (e.g. Read or Write, etc.) then Apply > OK. Some messages may appear: “An error occurred while applying…” This is not unusual and can be ignored by clicking Continue.
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to give me the 'simple' details it really does help us 'simpletons' understand! Or should I say less educated?

As said on post 1 I have on our network other computers that I do not want to be able to connect to any of my computers, would selecting - Everyone - as in 4 above mean they could access my PC's?

If it was possible for them to connect to my PC's how could I block their access to the shared folder while allowing others access? Wife's access yes, sons access definitely not!!

I may not be able to try the suggestions for a day or so but will as soon as I have more time to spend on it and not try to rush it.

Many thanks
Alan.
Lets stick to getting your machines to share with each other for now.

We can move on to the more advanced sharing after you get it working.

Individual shares can be set up by adding the LAN PC's as a standard or local account on your machine, after that their names will show up on the sharing list but for someone with limited skills this can be a rather complicated procedure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2012   #10

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

That's good news!

Okay, that makes sense, I will try to get these talking to one another and progress from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Networking Win 7 and XP, got something wrong :-(





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Networking Win 7 and XP, got something wrong :-(
Thread Forum
MS Paint GUI wrong- Perhaps stuck in wrong mode- Example shown General Discussion
Win 7 Xp Networking Network & Sharing
Networking XPM Virtualization
Help Networking WIN 7 and XP Network & Sharing
Networking with a Mac? Network & Sharing
Networking W7 and XP Network & Sharing
why is W7 networking so different (in a bad way) to XP Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33