Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Netgear router, some computers stuck in "acquiring network address"

21 Dec 2012   #11
kharl

widnows 7 professional 32 bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kharl View Post
Hi guys!
i have purchase two wireless routers (by mistake), one Belkin G Wireless Router F5D7234-4 and one Netgear Rangemax N150 WPN824N.

it is amaizing to see that the belking one is about 1/3 the size of the netgear and it performs just AWESOME, so simply and "troublefree".

In the other hand i have this netgear, its cute, but it is BIG, SLOW at start up and once i disconnect one of the devices using its internet its impossible to get connected again.

The only reason why i am stuck with the netgear is because the wifi on/off button.

ok here is the problem in more details
just to give you an idea and to help you to help me, to discard pc configs related issues, ALL my devices were connected without ANY problem.
The device list is:
1-LAPTOP 1 LAN
2-LAPTOP 2 WIFI
3-POCKETPC WIFI
4-PALM WIFI
5-phone WIFI

But when i use the netgear router
only three of the devices get connected
the laptop 2 is stuck in "acquiring network address"
and the pocket pc show is connected but i cant navigate

Clue 1;
in the laptop, if i turn it off/suspend or hibernate while it says "acquiring network address"..., when i get it back, it connects automatically without problem, but if i disconnect it manually or if i turn off and nn the router... if i want it surfing the web i have to suspend then bring it back again

OR....:

Clue 2;
when i disable all security option, i mean instead "WPA-PSK [TKIP] " i choose "NONE"
all of the them get connected and working.
You are going to want to change the encryption from TKIP to AES. TKIP can be problematic with many different drivers. Also use WPA2-PSK if you can.
can i use the same password ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2012   #12
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kharl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kharl View Post
Hi guys!
i have purchase two wireless routers (by mistake), one Belkin G Wireless Router F5D7234-4 and one Netgear Rangemax N150 WPN824N.

it is amaizing to see that the belking one is about 1/3 the size of the netgear and it performs just AWESOME, so simply and "troublefree".

In the other hand i have this netgear, its cute, but it is BIG, SLOW at start up and once i disconnect one of the devices using its internet its impossible to get connected again.

The only reason why i am stuck with the netgear is because the wifi on/off button.

ok here is the problem in more details
just to give you an idea and to help you to help me, to discard pc configs related issues, ALL my devices were connected without ANY problem.
The device list is:
1-LAPTOP 1 LAN
2-LAPTOP 2 WIFI
3-POCKETPC WIFI
4-PALM WIFI
5-phone WIFI

But when i use the netgear router
only three of the devices get connected
the laptop 2 is stuck in "acquiring network address"
and the pocket pc show is connected but i cant navigate

Clue 1;
in the laptop, if i turn it off/suspend or hibernate while it says "acquiring network address"..., when i get it back, it connects automatically without problem, but if i disconnect it manually or if i turn off and nn the router... if i want it surfing the web i have to suspend then bring it back again

OR....:

Clue 2;
when i disable all security option, i mean instead "WPA-PSK [TKIP] " i choose "NONE"
all of the them get connected and working.
You are going to want to change the encryption from TKIP to AES. TKIP can be problematic with many different drivers. Also use WPA2-PSK if you can.
can i use the same password ?
The pass word doesn't matter but you need to make those changes to the security.

If these machines are using 802.11n there are other settings that can help as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #13
kharl

widnows 7 professional 32 bits
 
 

no i want to use 802.11b, since is the common for my devices (i mean, the laptops support abgn, the ppc bg, but the palm only b
i will try with AES instead TKIP and ill let you know

(i really thing the problem has something to do with authentication because when i turn it off, everything gets connected)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Dec 2012   #14
kharl

widnows 7 professional 32 bits
 
 

Bad, i dont have the option to change to AES using WPA,i would have to switch to WPA2 in order to use AES, and i have devices no compatible with WPA2
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #15
kharl

widnows 7 professional 32 bits
 
 

Anyway i sitched to WPA2-PSKAES, and the same problem, "acquiring addres...." if i suspend and get the laptop back from suspend or hibernation then it connects.

in other words,, there was no difference between WPA-PSK TKIPS and WPA2-PSK AES

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #16
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kharl View Post
Bad, i dont have the option to change to AES using WPA,i would have to switch to WPA2 in order to use AES, and i have devices no compatible with WPA2
You should at least try the new settings to determine if that is the problem with your machines not connecting.

The router that works probably just has better legacy settings. Doing all this for a wireless on/off switch seems kind of redundant at this point. If you want it to work just use the router that works best.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #17
kharl

widnows 7 professional 32 bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
You should at least try the new settings to determine if that is the problem with your machines not connecting.

The router that works probably just has better legacy settings. Doing all this for a wireless on/off switch seems kind of redundant at this point. If you want it to work just use the router that works best.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kharl View Post
Anyway i switched to WPA2-PSKAES, and the same problem, "acquiring addres...." if i suspend and get the laptop back from suspend or hibernation then it connects.

in other words,, there was no difference between WPA-PSK TKIPS and WPA2-PSK AES
..................
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #18
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Yes either use the router that works or try updating the firmware on the router that you want to use.

There is no magical Windows fix it button for problems like this because it's not a Windows problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #19
kharl

widnows 7 professional 32 bits
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Yes either use the router that works or try updating the firmware on the router that you want to use.

There is no magical Windows fix it button for problems like this because it's not a Windows problem.
the firmware was update, as i mentioned before, and i know there is no magical button where i just click and fix it, that's why i am asking for help here.

and YES is NOT a windows problem that's what i have tried to let understood, IS A ROUTER PROBLEM!

Maybe my big mistake was to mention that i had another router which works with the same configuration, not all user have a spare piece to substitute when the one currently in use fails, if so, maybe forums like this wouldn't exist, people would just "use the one which works" instead asking for help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #20
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kharl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Yes either use the router that works or try updating the firmware on the router that you want to use.

There is no magical Windows fix it button for problems like this because it's not a Windows problem.
the firmware was update, as i mentioned before, and i know there is no magical button where i just click and fix it, that's why i am asking for help here.

and YES is NOT a windows problem that's what i have tried to let understood, IS A ROUTER PROBLEM!

Maybe my big mistake was to mention that i had another router which works with the same configuration, not all user have a spare piece to substitute when the one currently in use fails, if so, maybe forums like this wouldn't exist, people would just "use the one which works" instead asking for help.
If you have a router that works then why not use it?

This router that doesn't work obviously has problems with legacy settings. So no fix will be available for that other than a firmware update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Netgear router, some computers stuck in "acquiring network address"




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Please help - ipv6 "no network access" (amature with computers)
Hey I can successfully connect to my home network but when I click on "status" it shows my ipv6 with no network access. I can access browsers and games but constantly disconnect every minute or so. Please help 😔
Network & Sharing
One Laptop stuck on "Identifying" network at home, no issues elsewhere
Hi all, I’m having what seems to me a weird networking problem. I’ve spent the last day looking up and trying suggestions online to no avail, so thought I’d describe it here and see if anyone has any other ideas. Here’s what’s happened: 2 days ago, my Gateway laptop running Windows 7 (Home...
Network & Sharing
Built-in network adapter problems and stuck on "Enabling..."
I've had my Dell Inspiron for a few months now, but from the time I first booted it up, I've been riddled with problems. My latest one concerns the wireless connection. After using the built in wireless card for a few minutes, it will suddenly cut out and show as alternating between having full...
Network & Sharing
Wireless connection "acquiring network address" continually
I was connected to my neighbors wireless network via Linksys for several months, but after he had it shut off and reconnected they gave him a different IP address, ID and password. I have all the passwords and the signal shows up, but it is continually "aquiring a network address". Does he have to...
Network & Sharing
Small network issues. Wired-has internet, can't "see" other computers
We have a small network in our office. Our "server" is actually an old PC with a large hard drive running Windows Home Premium x32. It is wired to our wireless router. We have 4 computers and a plotter that are connected wirelessly to our router. We limit connection to the router by mac address....
Network & Sharing
Network is not connecting to internet, stuck on "identifying" & public
Hi guys! I'm new to this forums so please be patient with me. I recently got rid of a virus... but i think it did some damage to the computer. I know that it deleted some registry files for firewall (but I fixed that, following some other advice from other threads on here).... but the next issue...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App