Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to share my cable connection by WiFi

21 Dec 2012   #1
Anakunda

Windows 7 x64
 
 
How to share my cable connection by WiFi

Hello,
just curious if I could share cable connection by WiFi so it could be used by a smartphone as well. I don't have a hw router however I have a laptop connected to cable modem. The question is if I can somehow setup Windows to share the broadband connection by it's WiFi adapter. If possible, please for a howto guide. Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2012   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

You can share the connection if it's a WiFi to WiFi shared connection but a hosted wireless connection isn't made to share Ethernet to WiFi.

The link below explains the process and has links to show you different ways to set up a hosted wireless network.

Turn Windows 7 laptop into a wifi hotspot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2012   #3
Anakunda

Windows 7 x64
 
 

So in brief I cannot make the laptop a wifi router by simply setting up a ICS?
Tried this guide Share an Internet Connection on Windows 7
LAN adapter -> properties -> Sharing tab -> Enable other users use this computer's internet connection -> Witeless network connection -> confirm

The phone however still doesnot see my laptop

So I guess I need to use a 3rd party software, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


21 Dec 2012   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anakunda View Post
So in brief I cannot make the laptop a wifi router by simply setting up a ICS?
Tried this guide Share an Internet Connection on Windows 7
LAN adapter -> properties -> Sharing tab -> Enable other users use this computer's internet connection -> Witeless network connection -> confirm

The phone however still doesnot see my laptop

So I guess I need to use a 3rd party software, right?
If you are trying to share Ethernet to WiFi then it most likely will not work, none of the tutorials support that configuration. Third party software isn't made to support that configuration.

The links I posted show how to use the command prompt to set up a hosted wireless network "wireless to wireless" or you can use the connectify software for this. But it is not made to work Ethernet to Wireless.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #5
Anakunda

Windows 7 x64
 
 

I had to do something wrong, created an ad-hoc network for incoming connections named Anakunda-ASUS, WPA2 security/AES, password set, for all users

Network connections centre -> Manage wireless networks -> Network status: waiting for user

I turn wifi on on my phone but suddenly I only see all surrounding wifi hotspots except the mine (certainly it's not caused by signal strength as the laptop is distant no more than 1 meter)

Why my phone doesnot see the ad-hoc network. Is the laptop keeping the network private to outside?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The links I posted show how to use the command prompt to set up a hosted wireless network "wireless to wireless"
I'm afraid that's not the case.
Actually the configuration is:
[Cable modem]:[Ethernet adapter]<-----ethernet cable---->[ethernet adapter]:[LAPTOP]:[WiFi adapter]---->should broadcast the wired internet access
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anakunda View Post
I had to do something wrong, created an ad-hoc network for incoming connections named Anakunda-ASUS, WPA2 security/AES, password set, for all users

Network connections centre -> Manage wireless networks -> Network status: waiting for user

I turn wifi on on my phone but suddenly I only see all surrounding wifi hotspots except the mine (certainly it's not caused by signal strength as the laptop is distant no more than 1 meter)

Why my phone doesnot see the ad-hoc network. Is the laptop keeping the network private to outside?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The links I posted show how to use the command prompt to set up a hosted wireless network "wireless to wireless"
I'm afraid that's not the case.
Actually the configuration is:
[Cable modem]:[Ethernet adapter]<-----ethernet cable---->[ethernet adapter]:[LAPTOP]:[WiFi adapter]---->should broadcast the wired internet access
I'm afraid that configuration is not supported. Though it may be possible to make it work using static IP's and some other network spoofing tricks.

It's only made to work wireless connection to hosted wireless network, Ethernet doesn't fit into the equation.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Dec 2012   #7
Anakunda

Windows 7 x64
 
 

After some hassle I've got it working using Connectify in full version. Still wonder why Windows 7 with it's connections sharing and connection bridging are not capable of such a basic functionality. Connectify introduced strong CPU exhaustion, after disabling WMP network sharing service this seems to be fixed however. Now yet to get working Microsoft Network local network between phone and laptop to enable files sharing my mounting network drives. I don't see phone in Network browser neither I see laptop in phone's network browser.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to share my cable connection by WiFi




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Prefer ethernet cable over WiFi?
Is there somewhere in Windows XP, 7, and 8 to have it use the ethernet cable only when plugged in even with WiFi enabled or connected?
Network & Sharing
How to share files via Ethernet Cable?
I have Laptop and Desktop (windows 7 ultimate) I use it to play games, But I wanna transfer my Games (files) to my new laptop using Ethernet Cable or Crossover cable. I lost my 16 gb USB so I just transfer via Ethernet Cable but How? Please help me.
Network & Sharing
Wireless Connection - WIFI connection not showing up
I have a iMac and I have installed Windows7 using Bootcamp v4.0. When I use the computer on MacOS X I am able to connect to the Wireless Connection named (ORACLE@PG), also when I restart the computer the same connection shows on the boot-loader screen. But when I am on the Windows 7, I am unable...
Network & Sharing
How to share computer Internet connection as WiFi?
Hi! I have wire ADSL connection. I want share my internet connection with my phone (Android) using WiFi. I think its useless thing change my ADSL router. So are there any devise to distribute my Desktop computer internet connection via WiFi using USB port? Like Bluetooth dongle. Thanks!
Network & Sharing
Share internet connection via cross over cable ?
Is it possible to do that ? I knew it might be possible but I found some saying that if the ADSL modem is connected using LAN then it will not work. :( So here's my setup: PC A and PC B (Both using W7 64) > PC A got two LAN port (LAN C and D) > PC B got one LAN port Cross Over cable ADSL...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App