Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win 7 Home Prem 64-bit wont let me leave my homegroup


07 Jan 2013   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Win 7 Home Prem 64-bit wont let me leave my homegroup

I am starting to get really frustrated with my home-group and sharing between my two laptops.

I'll start with a rundown of my situation. I'm a full time student so I have a network at school in my apartment and I have another network at home when I'm on break and most weekends. I am now traveling with two laptops. One being a brand new HP ENVY m6 running Windows 8 64-bit, but I still carry around my previous laptop, a Toshiba C655 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I keep it with me as all my files and game accounts are saved on it and I have never had any trouble accessing the files and playing the games through my new computer using the home-group feature. This has worked great for me. all through the Christmas season I played games from my old computer through my new one without ever installing them.

Now back at school my laptops will not talk through the sharing option. They will not even recognize each other. I believe this is due to the Toshiba not being able to enable "Network Discovery" or "File and printer sharing" in the sharing options. I select "turn on" and click save, and attempt to view files and I see nothing. I go back in and all options have be set back to "turn off". I have been reading around on different threads here and all of them with problems similar have had success doing what was suggested, but I have unsuccessfully tried everything I have read up to this point.

I decided being a new network I would try setting up a new homegroup? I did this all from the HP laptop, but when trying to leave the homegroup on the Toshiba it says unable to leave.

I followed these directions as well as everything mentioned and it still says windows could not leave homegroup http://www.sevenforums.com/network-s...homegroup.html

This thread seemed to be my ticket Homegroup Not Working, but after viewing the folders I do not have an idstore.sst, I do however have an idstore.sst.new, but deleting it does nothing. Also, the processes mentioned are already stopped when going into task manager.

I hope you guys can help me. I am afraid I am looking into this way to hard and its going to end up something way to simple. It just doesn't sense why it works fine on my network at my home, but not on my network at my apartment. Both networks are mine(private).


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This TechNet thread talks about the problem and shows another solution, third post down.
Special solution also in paragraph below link.

Can't start Peer Name Resolution Protocol

Another person further down fixed the problem like this.

Followed Novak Wu and Streetwolf suggestions, but no joy. Rebooted PC etc. Went back to the three services related to Peer Networking opened properties and went to the logon tab, clicked the Logon on as This account (second radio button), browse and select ADVANCED / Find, select "Local Service", OK, blank out the dots against the password and password confirm, click apply. Do the Peer Networking Identity Manager first, you have to stop and restart the service for it to take effect, then repeat the logon process for the other two services. Set all three to automatic. Hope it works for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Thank you for that, I also found an issue there. I came back across my same problem. He found the corrupt "idstore.sst" file. I do not have this file under the file listing he shows in the article. At best I have had an "idstore" file and "idstore.sst.new". Again, deleting this has done nothing.

I did go in and change the PNRP, PNG, and PNIM services to log on as "Local System" (this account option was selected). I also changed them from "manual" start up to "automatic" start up. Now when I try to start the PNRP service I get an Error: "Could not start PNRP service on local computer Error 0x806320a1: 0x806320a1" The PNIM will start though, only PNRP and PNG won't start.

I did a system restart and when it loaded up I received a "P2P Collaboration infrastructure is not available error"

With that failing to work I then proceeded to do what is mentioned in you article below the link, this has also failed to work after a Service restart and system restart. I receive no error messages other then the one where it will not allow me to leave the homegroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


09 Jan 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dodgetruck2 View Post
Thank you for that, I also found an issue there. I came back across my same problem. He found the corrupt "idstore.sst" file. I do not have this file under the file listing he shows in the article. At best I have had an "idstore" file and "idstore.sst.new". Again, deleting this has done nothing.

I did go in and change the PNRP, PNG, and PNIM services to log on as "Local System" (this account option was selected). I also changed them from "manual" start up to "automatic" start up. Now when I try to start the PNRP service I get an Error: "Could not start PNRP service on local computer Error 0x806320a1: 0x806320a1" The PNIM will start though, only PNRP and PNG won't start.

I did a system restart and when it loaded up I received a "P2P Collaboration infrastructure is not available error"

With that failing to work I then proceeded to do what is mentioned in you article below the link, this has also failed to work after a Service restart and system restart. I receive no error messages other then the one where it will not allow me to leave the homegroup.
Can you try running the sfc/scannow command and see if there are any file integrity problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jan 2013   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

I did the scf /scannow and the corrupt files it found were in C:/Windows/Logs/CBS/CBS folder

I did a restart and still unable to change homegroup/sharing options and unable to leave homegroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Jan 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dodgetruck2 View Post
I did the scf /scannow and the corrupt files it found were in C:/Windows/Logs/CBS/CBS folder

I did a restart and still unable to change homegroup/sharing options and unable to leave homegroup
Was Windows able to fix the file integrity problems?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

it appeared to have fixed them I believe. It said files repaired or something after scan completed Im, pretty sure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dodgetruck2 View Post
it appeared to have fixed them I believe. It said files repaired or something after scan completed Im, pretty sure
Here is another one of my old threads which continues to help people fix this problem.

Maybe some of the ideas here will help you to fix this age old problem.

Cannot leave Homegroup

I assume that you went into Control Panel>Folder Options and enabled the "Show hidden files and folders" feature. Otherwise you won't be able to see the Idstore.sst file.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

yes, I did at the beginning so unless something causes that to reset then it is enabled still.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win 7 Home Prem 64-bit wont let me leave my homegroup




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Win 7 Home Prem 64-bit wont let me leave my homegroup
Thread Forum
Solved Cannot leave Homegroup Network & Sharing
Homegroup - Leave Tutorials
Can't Leave Homegroup... Network & Sharing
Can't leave Homegroup. i've tried it all with no succses... Network & Sharing
how to leave homegroup network Network & Sharing
Can't leave Homegroup! Network & Sharing
Leave Windows 7 Homegroup, Cannot leave homegroup from broken computer Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33