Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: TWO PROBLEMS-urgent help needed

15 Jan 2013   #41
Sweetmusicman1

Windows 7-Home Edition
 
 

I cant log on to the internet with the ps3. The 3G is connected to the laptop,so yes I can log on to the internet on the laptop.

Edit: I am using the ethernet cable to connect the ps3 to the laptop.

Apparently Adobe CS3 could also be the reason for this bug. Further down this page some gave a possible fix to the problem. What do you guys think? I'm no expert on these things. It seems Bonjour is not that easy to get rid of.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...0-aecc41498b04


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jan 2013   #42
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Have you enabled ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on laptop? It must be enabled in order for your PS3 to connect to Internet using laptop's connection.

If not enabled you need to do that, here's our tutorial for that in case you do not know how to do that: Internet Connection Sharing - Enable.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #43
Sweetmusicman1

Windows 7-Home Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Have you enabled ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on laptop? It must be enabled in order for your PS3 to connect to Internet using laptop's connection.

If not enabled you need to do that, here's our tutorial for that in case you do not know how to do that: Internet Connection Sharing - Enable.

Kari
Yes I did that. This where the problem actaully is because you also have to enter DNS and Default Gateway numbers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jan 2013   #44
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

What's the make and the model of your laptop's Ethernet adapter? I just want to check if we need a cross over cable, modern gigabit adapters do no longer require it when connecting two devices.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #45
Sweetmusicman1

Windows 7-Home Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
What's the make and the model of your laptop's Ethernet adapter? I just want to check if we need a cross over cable, modern gigabit adapters do no longer require it when connecting two devices.
I am at work right now. I'll have to get back to you after work(later). Thanks for the replies. It's really appreciated.

P.S. How do I check for the ethernet adapter?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #46
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Forget it, I was really stupid asking it. We can see it from your IPCONFIG data .

You seem to have a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet. It should not need a cross over cable, even if the PS3's adapter is an older model, for it's enough when one of connected adapters has Auto-MDIX enabled. Gigabit adapters as yours have Auto-MDIX enabled by default.

That 0.0.0.0. default gateway is the problem, as you yourself already mentioned in your original post. I do not understand it could work, how you can still use the Internet.

Let's check what the Windows Network Diagnostics has to say about this. Connect PS3 to laptop with ethernet cable, turn PS3 on, and then when connected to Internet on laptop, right click the network icon in notification area, select Troubleshoot problems:

TWO PROBLEMS-urgent help needed-network_diagnostics.png

Please post results here.

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #47
Sweetmusicman1

Windows 7-Home Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
Forget it, I was really stupid asking it. We can see it from your IPCONFIG data .

You seem to have a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet. It should not need a cross over cable, even if the PS3's adapter is an older model, for it's enough when one of connected adapters has Auto-MDIX enabled. Gigabit adapters as yours have Auto-MDIX enabled by default.

That 0.0.0.0. default gateway is the problem, as you yourself already mentioned in your original post. I do not understand it could work, how you can still use the Internet.

Let's check what the Windows Network Diagnostics has to say about this. Connect PS3 to laptop with ethernet cable, turn PS3 on, and then when connected to Internet on laptop, right click the network icon in notification area, select Troubleshoot problems:

Attachment 250273

Please post results here.

Kari
I'll do that sir.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #48
Parman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Not to get off the 0.0.0.0 subject because that is an issue, but when your connect your ps3 to the laptop and share internet through ICS. you're actually using the laptop as a router.

the ICS part of the adapter will have a static IP address 192.168.137.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0 (It would be that Ethernet adapter in this case). This ICS host will act as a DHCP server and assign other IP addresses in the 192.168.137.x/24 range to the PS3 or any other device connected to it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #49
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by parman View Post
the ICS part of the adapter will have a static IP address 192.168.137.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0 (It would be that Ethernet adapter in this case). This ICS host will act as a DHCP server and assign other IP addresses in the 192.168.137.x/24 range to the PS3 or any other device connected to it.
That's the problem here. PPP adapter (3G USB) has according to the ipconfig data DHCP disabled, and static IP. Ethernet has DHCP enabled but it's getting IP from wrong pool, 169.254.X.X (see for instance this article: Invalid IP Address 169.254.x.x - Microsoft Community).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jan 2013   #50
Parman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

the OP never actually stated that he started the ICS before he posted the IPconfig /all output. So i figured he didnt start it yet.

I did notice the APIPA address and thats the main reason i figured it was not enabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 TWO PROBLEMS-urgent help needed




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
urgent help needed
Right firstly my laptop disk drive doesn't work so a factory restore is out of the question. Disk checker was running and my laptop shut off midway through, since then my laptop hasn't been working because windows explorer is not responding. Safe mode works perfectly fine. What could be the...
Performance & Maintenance
Urgent Help Needed
the following message i have been getting since last couple of weeks...i re-typed the product key..bt it didnt work...and my pc restrt after 2 - 2.5 hrs interval...what will i do now???:( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/problemer.png/
Windows Updates & Activation
***very urgent help needed! Please try!***
Ill make it quick. I accidently waxed my father's brown shoe black and now it has black spots all over it. What can i do to fix it? I got almost half an hour! Please HELP!
Chillout Room
Urgent help needed
My deviantArt account has been taken by someone. Please someone tell me how to either recover it or close it.
Chillout Room
URGENT Help needed
Hello again I recently (today) got a Samsung N310, I downloaded and mounted a RTM version of Windows 7, However when I try to run the setup I get this message, saying that I have tyhe wrong version for this version of windows im running? what do I do the ISO is a x64bit and the netbook Has 2GB of...
Installation & Setup
URGENT HELP Needed.
I'll make a long story short. I'm on Build 7100, and for some reason, all of my DL'd apps (Ones that weren't bundled with W7) were deleted, and/or they stopped working. I couldn't open anything. I end up re-installing W7, and I have two problems: 1. I can't install Java, which would make a...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App