Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The “cmd” command to show the all the connected machines on network

20 Jan 2013   #1
Jamal NUMAN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
The “cmd” command to show the all the connected machines on network

The “cmd” command to show the all the connected machines on the network,

I’m looking for a command that is executed from the cmd (attached) to show all the connected machines on the network

Thank you

Best

Jamal




Attached Thumbnails
-clip.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jan 2013   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jamal NUMAN View Post
The “cmd” command to show the all the connected machines on the network,

I’m looking for a command that is executed from the cmd (attached) to show all the connected machines on the network

Thank you

Best

Jamal
Type 'ipconfig/all' to show a list of all connected devices on the network.

Then use the default gateway & type it in the address bar of the browser to access your Router...that page will show you all comps/devices using your internet connection.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #3
Jamal NUMAN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Thank you for the answer “Sir George”,

What I wanted is to show exclusively the machines on the network that are displayed under the “network” (attached).

is that possible with cmd command?

Best

Jamal


Attached Thumbnails
-clip_6.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


20 Jan 2013   #4
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jamal NUMAN View Post
Thank you for the answer “Sir George”,

What I wanted is to show exclusively the machines on the network that are displayed under the “network” (attached).

is that possible with cmd command?

Best

Jamal
I don't know of any way to do it. Does that mean it can't be done, I don't know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #5
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

The highlighted computers here:

Name:  Net_View_2.png
Views: 58
Size:  93.1 KB

can be shown in command prompt with command NET VIEW:

-net_view.png
(Click to enlarge.)

Kari


My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #6
Parman

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Always beat me to the punch Kari. And your examples are amazing like always. Good work.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #7
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

The info Kari provided is probably what the OP wanted (given the OP's screenshot in post 3) but just to be clear, the NET VIEW query may not show every computer on a network as mentioned in the thread title and in the OP.

NET VIEW might not be able to traverse different subnets in a complex network and (even on simple, single subnet networks) there are ways to hide computers from the NET VIEW query - this being one way:
How to Hide the Server's Computer Name from Other Computers in the Domain

Disabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP can also hide a computer from various listings... and yet you can still get to it if you know it's name or IP.

I'm not trying to be picky - I'm just thinking of those that find this thread later on. Maybe those that know a certain computer is on their network, but it is not showing via Windows (file) Explorer or via NET VIEW.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #8
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

UsernameIssues, you have a valid point there. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, hiding a computer from NET VIEW query also hides it from Windows Explorer > Network view.

If I read OP's question correctly he wants to use a command that shows in command prompt the same computers than he can see in Windows Explorer > Network; hiding a computer from network would hide it both in Windows Explorer > Network and NET VIEW query, ergo command prompt NET VIEW query shows exactly the same computers than Explorer, which is what OP asked.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #9
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
UsernameIssues, you have a valid point there. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, hiding a computer from NET VIEW query also hides it from Windows Explorer > Network view.

If I read OP's question correctly he wants to use a command that shows in command prompt the same computers than he can see in Windows Explorer > Network; hiding a computer from network would hide it both in Windows Explorer > Network and NET VIEW query, ergo command prompt NET VIEW query shows exactly the same computers than Explorer, which is what OP asked.

Kari
I really fear coming across as being argumentative or picky or worse: "look what I think I know" - hence my repeated caveats that I'm posting this just for the sake of clarity. Google will index this thread based on its title (and post content - but more weight is given to the title). I don't want folks to use NET VIEW and think that they have a listing of all of the computers on the network. (Mixed operating systems can mess these lists up as well.)

Look at the original post. It does not mention Windows Explorer. Now look at post #3 - it clarifies (and considerably modifies) the original request. Your answer speaks specifically to the request made in post #3. (And for most people on a home network, that is a perfectly good answer.)

I VPN'd into my office. NET VIEW showed 55 computers (in reality there are 1000s of computers on the network at the moment). The Windows Explorer > Network view showed 58 computers. If I go to START > RUN and type in a UNC to a computer that I know is not on the same subnet as my office computer, that computer is added to the view shown in Windows Explorer > Network, but is still not shown in NET VIEW.

I don't have any computers that I'm willing to test by hiding them - so I cannot speak specifically to your question about "are they hidden from both lists". I don't even know enough to say how NET VIEW's list differs from Windows Explorer > Network list to predict which method of hiding might hide a computer from one list or the other. Maybe NET VIEW depends on NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Maybe Windows Explorer > Network depends on the computer browser service.

All I know is what I've seen in the past - not why I've seen it :-)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2013   #10
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
UsernameIssues, you have a valid point there. However, and please correct me if I am wrong, hiding a computer from NET VIEW query also hides it from Windows Explorer > Network view.

If I read OP's question correctly he wants to use a command that shows in command prompt the same computers than he can see in Windows Explorer > Network; hiding a computer from network would hide it both in Windows Explorer > Network and NET VIEW query, ergo command prompt NET VIEW query shows exactly the same computers than Explorer, which is what OP asked.

Kari
I really fear coming across as being argumentative or picky or worse: "look what I think I know" - hence my repeated caveats that I'm posting this just for the sake of clarity. Google will index this thread based on its title (and post content - but more weight is given to the title). I don't want folks to use NET VIEW and think that they have a listing of all of the computers on the network. (Mixed operating systems can mess these lists up as well.)

Look at the original post. It does not mention Windows Explorer. Now look at post #3 - it clarifies (and considerably modifies) the original request. Your answer speaks specifically to the request made in post #3. (And for most people on a home network, that is a perfectly good answer.)

I VPN'd into my office. NET VIEW showed 55 computers (in reality there are 1000s of computers on the network at the moment). The Windows Explorer > Network view showed 58 computers. If I go to START > RUN and type in a UNC to a computer that I know is not on the same subnet as my office computer, that computer is added to the view shown in Windows Explorer > Network, but is still not shown in NET VIEW.

I don't have any computers that I'm willing to test by hiding them - so I cannot speak specifically to your question about "are they hidden from both lists". I don't even know enough to say how NET VIEW's list differs from Windows Explorer > Network list to predict which method of hiding might hide a computer from one list or the other. Maybe NET VIEW depends on NetBIOS over TCP/IP. Maybe Windows Explorer > Network depends on the computer browser service.

All I know is what I've seen in the past - not why I've seen it :-)
You are of course right, and I was not trying to prove otherwise. I simply answered OP's question.

Sometimes we need to "read between the lines" to really understand what OP means and answer to that question, a question which might sometimes be slightly different than that what OP actually posted. In doing so we should IMO not think so much about what Google search later shows but OP's actual issue and answer that as well as we can.

My "reading between the lines" this time:
My answer was posted after user posted a screenshot telling very clearly he wants to show computers shown in Explorer > Network in command prompt, and after another member had answered it might not be possible.

As OP's screenshot only shows two PCs and because I had just before read another thread of the same OP which also mentioned the same two PCs, plus other "between the lines" reading, I was and still am quite sure he needs this information for his own either home or small business network. And, of course, were it a thousand PC corporate network with multiple subnets he wouldn't need to ask the question here.

I am sorry but now I think you are a bit picky, splitting hairs as we say in Finnish. My answer to the OP is (never been modest ) the best given in this thread. Sorry Google if you now index wrong information, wasn't even thinking of that, and never will; I was and will be thinking the best possible answer to the OP's issue, all things considered, and post it if I know it.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The “cmd” command to show the all the connected machines on network




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Connected to Wireless network, but windows says Not connected
OK, so i am connected to my wireless network, but windows says that i am not connected
Network & Sharing
The Network icon shows Not Connected, but I'm connected
Hi to all The Network icon shows Not Connected, but I'm connected and can brows the internet. my prblem solved but after restart my computer this problem come back. I'm confused:confused: because I tried many ways to sole it! I disconnected my pc from modem, waited about 30 seconds and...
Network & Sharing
network system tray icon shows not connected but I am connected
So, this is not a major issue but kind of annoying. Recently I have noticed that the system tray icon for the wireless network always has that little red X and if I open the Network and Sharing Center it says "You are not currently connected to any networks." When I click "See Full Map" it shows...
Network & Sharing
a program or command to view devices connected to network ?
Hello, this is my second post on this subject but im editing the title slightly ... im in need of a command or program that'll allow me to view devices on my network that my windows 7 pc can see also ? im basically having issues using 'wireless sync' via iTunes. I have a main router...
Network & Sharing
VPN Connected but no network access; TCP/IP Not connected
I'm having problems getting a VPN to work which seems to be a common problem but I cannot find a solution Basic hardware: XP and 2 win7 Ultimate computers (A&B). B is the VPN server. Router: Thomson SpeedTouch TG585v7Xp . Port Forward tester confirms port 1723 is open Internet access via...
Network & Sharing
Office 2010 Slow To Show "Open" Dialog Box When Connected To Network
Hello all, Frustrating problem: All Office 2010 apps require a 45 second delay to produce an "open" or "save as" dialog box when the computer is connected to a LAN (wireless or wired, domain or workgroup). When the computer is NOT connected to a LAN (wireless or wired, domain or workgroup),...
Microsoft Office

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:20.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App