Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: The root drive (C:\) is shared, nevertheless there is no access to sub

27 Jan 2013   #1
Jamal NUMAN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
The root drive (C:\) is shared, nevertheless there is no access to sub

The root drive (C:\) is shared, nevertheless there is no access to subfolders,

How come that the root drive (C:\) is shared but no access is permitted to a particular subfolder (attached)?

How to force the sharing for the root and ALL the subfolders

Thank you

Best

Jamal




Attached Thumbnails
-clip_2.jpg   -clip_3.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jan 2013   #2
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

In addition to the sharing, you must check that both share and file permission are granted on the connected user for the folder to be visible, even with full disk being shared.

Particular from your screenshot, by default SQL Sever applies specific permissions on its data folders, granting only admins, the service account and system access to it. Most likely it will fail with the same error if you navigate normally on the local machine, not from the share.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2013   #3
Jamal NUMAN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
In addition to the sharing, you must check that both share and file permission are granted on the connected user for the folder to be visible, even with full disk being shared.

Particular from your screenshot, by default SQL Sever applies specific permissions on its data folders, granting only admins, the service account and system access to it. Most likely it will fail with the same error if you navigate normally on the local machine, not from the share.
Thank you Alejandro85 for the answer.

Then how can I give file permission to a particular user?

Best

Jamal


Attached Thumbnails
-clip_227.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


14 Feb 2013   #4
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Just right click on the folder (not in a file as you're doing in the screenshot), click properties, security tab, add, select the user and give him read or write access as needed.

BTW, and again particular for what is seen in the screens, it's generally not a good idea to manually touching files in the data folder of SQL Server, they're best handled though a normal connection with a query. Most times, the server will simply block the files when attached to the server so you can't even read them, from network or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2013   #5
Jamal NUMAN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Just right click on the folder (not in a file as you're doing in the screenshot), click properties, security tab, add, select the user and give him read or write access as needed.

BTW, and again particular for what is seen in the screens, it's generally not a good idea to manually touching files in the data folder of SQL Server, they're best handled though a normal connection with a query. Most times, the server will simply block the files when attached to the server so you can't even read them, from network or not.

Many thanks Alejandro85 for the answer.

That was my original issue! I gave the root folder sharing + security to everyone (!), nevertheless, I got the message shown in my first post.

By the way, I couldn’t even know the difference between the sharing and security properties (attached)! Are they doing the same kind of thing?


Best

Jamal


Attached Thumbnails
-clip_230.jpg   -clip_231.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Feb 2013   #6
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Both the sharing and the security tab are very similar, they set permissions but work on different levels.

The sharing permissions work only on network accesses though Windows shares, users must be granted permissions here to be able to view files though the network, even though they can access locally.
The security tab works for every access, no matter how it's made. It controls both local access and network too, and can be set at a file level and folder by folder (sharing permissions work on whole shared folders).

To use a file though the network, you need BOTH sharing permission and security tab permission.

Now, the problem I guess is that on the security tab, you've assigned permission to the root folder only. Some folder don't automatically inherit those permissions and apply their own (program files, windows folder, users folders are examples of those). SQL Server also apply custom permissions and ignore the parent's ones. That's why I said before that you should look there, at the SQL data folder, not the root of drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Feb 2013   #7
Jamal NUMAN

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Both the sharing and the security tab are very similar, they set permissions but work on different levels.

The sharing permissions work only on network accesses though Windows shares, users must be granted permissions here to be able to view files though the network, even though they can access locally.
The security tab works for every access, no matter how it's made. It controls both local access and network too, and can be set at a file level and folder by folder (sharing permissions work on whole shared folders).

To use a file though the network, you need BOTH sharing permission and security tab permission.

Now, the problem I guess is that on the security tab, you've assigned permission to the root folder only. Some folder don't automatically inherit those permissions and apply their own (program files, windows folder, users folders are examples of those). SQL Server also apply custom permissions and ignore the parent's ones. That's why I said before that you should look there, at the SQL data folder, not the root of drive.
Thank you Alejandro85 for the very informative answer. This is really helpful.



Best

Jamal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 The root drive (C:\) is shared, nevertheless there is no access to sub




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Shared C Drive but access denied
Hi Guys, I have a dell laptop running Windows 7 Pro (x64). I have few systems in the network with some running Win 7 and others Win XP. I wanted to share the C and D drives of my laptop. So I selected D Drive and chose advanced sharing, (Everyone) and shared it. This way my network systems...
Network & Sharing
Access denied editing text files to root C drive
I thought i had all my permissions and sharing done correctly until i tried to edit a text file across my network on another windows 7 machine. When i go to save the file it ask me "save as" which it never did while trying to do the same thing on a windows xp machine. Well after the save as i try...
General Discussion
Access denied for shared drive
I've got a simple home network, with one Windows 7 Ultimate x64 desktop (wired), one Windows XP Pro desktop (wired), and two Windows 7 Home Premium notebooks (wireless). The motherboard failed on one of the notebooks that belongs to my stepdaughter, so I removed the hard drive and installed it in...
Network & Sharing
W2K Pro & XP Pro boxes can't access shared drive C on Win 7 Pro 64bit
On this wired homebiz LAN (Netgear router), boxes A through F belong to one workgroup. A runs Ubuntu, B runs W2KPro with IIS 5, C and D run XP Pro with Apache server 2.2, E runs XP Home with no web server, and new box F runs Win 7 Pro with IIS 7.5. -- all can ping one another -- all can run...
Network & Sharing
Cannot access re-shared external hard drive
Hi, I have a Maxtor External Hard drive and Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. I have a user setup for each member of my family on the computer. The maxtor drive was working fine uptil I decided that I wanted only myself to be able to access it only. The drive appeared as my K drive. I went to sharing and...
Network & Sharing
cant access root drive - lost admin rights
Hi; I installed Windows7 recently. I was changing permissions and accidently denied authenticated users to C drive. I was logged in as admin which is the only account. Now I cant access anythig in C Drive and cant execute any thing. I tried through safe mode as well but of no use. How can I...
System Security

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:58.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App