|08 Feb 2013||#1|
| || |
Windows 7 wireless problems with MDNS
Hello everyone... I'm so glad to join you guys... I have this one issue, which I'm hopeful you guys will help me out with...
I use a plugin we have created for IE... It detects devices over the network... Devices are the ones that we ourselves have created... Now this plugin works fine and detects devices when it is wired with the Ethernet on our Subnet in XP as well as Windows 7... It detects devices when it is connected Wirelessly over our Subnet in Windows XP... But when I connect it with my Wireless subnet over Windows 7 it stops discovering the devices... The moment I enable my LAN it again detects the devices... It's behaves very stange on this part and I can't be sure that Windows 7 is responsible for this but it had to be considered... There seems like a wireless security affecting it but there is no such proof as off now...
We use mDNSresponder.exe for the communication with the devices which has a protocol called MDNS... I used Wireshark to sniff the packets over the network and found out that, while running in a wired network I can see requests and responses over the MDNS protocol... But when I switch to Wireless network there is no request or response over MDNS and hence there is no query sent only over the network... Seems like when I connect with the Wireless network, something blocks the plugin from querying the network... Help me out with this if possible... Thanks so much...
I use Windows 7 64-bit OS and Internet Explorer 9... The tests have been made over Windows 7 32-bit and IE version 8 and 9, to give the same outcome... Windows firewall has been turned on/off as well...
I'm sorry if I've posted over a wrong thread, please forgive me for any inconsistencies... Any help is appreciated and please let me know if I could guide you in a better way... Thanks so much...
|My System Specs|
|12 Feb 2013||#2|
| || |
Ok the issue is solved... The problem was that my program was not being able to find the IEEE 802.11 wireless network interface... Since the dawn of Vista, Windows has changed some it its architecture and my program was made years before that...
Before Vista, the network adapter type value for Ethernet and IEEE wireless was same i.e 6 and is known as MIB_IF_TYPE_ETHERNET... But now they both have been differentiated and IEEE wireless adapter gets a new value 71 named IF_TYPE_IEEE80211... In our code we had a validation to reject network adapters other than MIB_IF_TYPE_ETHERNET and so it used to work with XP, but Windows 7 had other plans... Adding another validation for IF_TYPE_IEEE80211 solved the problem.
You can check out the below link to get more clarity over this and let me know if you've any queries... IP_ADAPTER_INFO structure (Windows)
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: Windows 7 wireless problems with MDNS|
|Windows 7 problems with wireless bridge||Network & Sharing|
|Windows 7 Wireless connectivity problems||Network & Sharing|
|windows 7 wireless problems||Network & Sharing|
|Windows 7 wireless network problems!||Network & Sharing|
|Windows 7 wireless problems||Network & Sharing|
|Help with wireless problems on windows 7||Network & Sharing|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.