Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: connected to a public network with a limited connection

24 Feb 2013   #1
Joeomar

windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
connected to a public network with a limited connection

hi there,
suddenly on my hp desktop i couldn't access the internet so i troubleshooted the connection and it always says " investigate router or broadband modem issues " and asks me to reset the router i did it so many times but its not effective and it always says im connected to an unidentified public network " in black color so can't be changed "
so what do i do ?
notice i have connected the same wire to a dell laptop and its says unidentified network too but when i connect the laptop in wireless works fine actually im posting this from the laptop
so if anyone got time to tell me what to do that would be much appreciated


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Feb 2013   #2
mavigozler

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Try looking at the following document (a Win7 forum tutorials) and go through the steps in the document to troubleshoot:

Internet Troubleshooting Guide

Note this website features uncountable numbers of tutorials that deal with troubleshooting and use of Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Feb 2013   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Joeomar View Post
hi there,
suddenly on my hp desktop i couldn't access the internet so i troubleshooted the connection and it always says " investigate router or broadband modem issues " and asks me to reset the router i did it so many times but its not effective and it always says im connected to an unidentified public network " in black color so can't be changed "
so what do i do ?
notice i have connected the same wire to a dell laptop and its says unidentified network too but when i connect the laptop in wireless works fine actually im posting this from the laptop
so if anyone got time to tell me what to do that would be much appreciated
The following link addresses this problem and shows some fixes for it. There are more possible solutions outlined in the comments section, this is a very common problem and in most cases can be fixed.

Windows 7 Unidentified Network, Limited Access, No Internet Connection Problem Resolved

After going through everything there, if you are still having problems please post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Feb 2013   #4
cronwen

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
Windows 7 switches from Home to Private network

I'm posting this everywhere because I think it's disgusting that Microsoft haven't established why this error occurs even though people have been complaining about it for years!

Despite much Googling it seems no-one has actually come up with an answer to this problem, and from that Googling it seems that there are a lot of people who suffer from it, so I'm unimpressed by Microsoft's response as it has been going on since 2009 or even earlier!

I can replicate it, seems Microsoft can't.

Briefly, on a two computer system, this is what happens:

Router is on at 192.168.0.1, Windows 7 connects, automatically gets IP address 192.168.0.2 for its Home network.

That IP address is stored in a registry key SYSTEM/ControlSet002/services/Tcpip/Parameters/Interfaces {A4DA9CA2 .... etc} in my case.

Windows 7 shuts down. Router closes connection and/or router is turned off (depends on the make).

Something else starts up, say a Macbook or iPad (Apple machines DON'T suffer from it Microsoft please note), and is allocated 192.168.0.2 by the router.

Windows 7 starts again, thinks it's still 192.168.0.2 from its saved registry key, sees something else at that address, decides it's therefore a public network not a home one, and won't connect.

Almost anything physical can clear it - like switching everything off and on again in a different order, changing band on the router etc etc - but there's no way of clearing it from within Windows once it has decided it's on a Public network as there's no network connection to adapt in the Network and Sharing Centre because it isn't connected.

A simple patch from Microsoft which nullifies that key when Windows 7 shuts down would do it and I'm sure would make a lot of people very, very happy. I can't believe they haven't sussed it out in four years. Do it Microsoft, do it.

(If you're into techy stuff another way round it is to stop Windows getting it's IP address automatically and give it a fixed one greater than all the wi-fi connectables in your establishment. Means setting the DNS server etc too. So if you have TVs, tablets, phones etc, all of which access the router, give it a 192.168.0.100 address and don't go out and buy any new gizmos!)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #5
Joeomar

windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mavigozler View Post
Try looking at the following document (a Win7 forum tutorials) and go through the steps in the document to troubleshoot:

Internet Troubleshooting Guide

Note this website features uncountable numbers of tutorials that deal with troubleshooting and use of Windows 7
didn't help me
i followed the steps , did a system restore at a step...as usual didn't work
then i checked ipconfig/all again and then i found that the ip has changed to that : 162.254.xxx.xxx
and i followed the steps to solve it but in cmd after i type : netsh winsock reset catalog
it says you need an administrator permission to do it and so i can't fix it
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Mar 2013   #6
VistaKing

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Hi Joe did you try doing the command in elevated command prompt ?

If not try this

Click on type CMD in the Search box once CMD comes up under Programs (1) right-click on CMD and choose Run as administrator . Then type the commands again .

Note   Note
It should open to C:\Windows\System32>_
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Mar 2013   #7
Joeomar

windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VistaKing View Post
Hi Joe did you try doing the command in elevated command prompt ?

If not try this

Click on type CMD in the Search box once CMD comes up under Programs (1) right-click on CMD and choose Run as administrator . Then type the commands again .

Note   Note
It should open to C:\Windows\System32>_
thanks for your care it helped me get the permission although the whole process did not help me get that tornado "169.254.xx.xx" out of the system i bet there is a problem with the verizon router when trying the wired connection even with the laptop still no connection
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2013   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote:

The following link addresses this problem and shows some fixes for it. There
are more possible solutions outlined in the comments section, this is a very
common problem and in most cases can be fixed.

Windows 7 Unidentified Network, Limited
Access, No Internet Connection Problem Resolved


After going through everything there, if you are still having problems please
post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine.

Don't expect much help if you don't answer previous posts.


Reset your router using the push button on the side.

The 30-30-30 Hard Reset Rule for Routers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 connected to a public network with a limited connection




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Force connection to limited access network?
I'm trying to connect to a network with no Internet access. I do a demo in which I connect to a wifi router which 'manages' a very limited network with a web server and a dozen or so other PCs. This network does *not* have Internet access by design. With My Win 7 Ultimate/x64 Dell 6430U, I...
Network & Sharing
Network Connection Shows Unknown Public Network
Hi: When I click on the wireless icon in the taskbar it shows connected to my home network and an unknown public network. However, in the network sharing center it shows both networks connected to the same SSID which I find strange. How do I get rid of the public unknown network? Also in windows...
Network & Sharing
Public wireless network connection issues on laptop
I have an Acer Aspire 5315 laptop with Windows 7 32bit Home Premium Edition 1GB RAM. i had to take it apart to replace the dc port in it last week and then also had to replace the ac adapter as well. Now that i have it back together and everything works it won't connect to the wireless internet. ...
Network & Sharing
'Limited access'- Wireless Network connection
Hi, I cannot access my internet and don't know why. When i try to access the internet it says I have 'limited access' although I have a full internet connection. Does anyone know how to fix this please? I have a Windows 7 operating system. Thanks :)
Network & Sharing
DNS problems after connected to public network
Hi! I've got the following problem on my Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 running Windows 7 Enterprise x64: When running my PC in my home network everything works fine. I can ping IPs on my network and i can ping their hostnames. However, when I have been logged in into the wifi network at my school...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:41.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App