Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Mapping a external network disk

08 Oct 2009   #1
dabedoo

Win Seven Ultimate RTM
 
 
Mapping a external network disk

I hooked a network disk to my router but cant get permission to
access the content of it on my computer.

The disk shows up in network but got a this error each time I try
to open it.

I searched the forum for answers but didn't manage to find a good one.




My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #2
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dabedoo View Post
I hooked a network disk to my router but cant get permission to
access the content of it on my computer.

The disk shows up in network but got a this error each time I try
to open it.

I searched the forum for answers but didn't manage to find a good one.

Hi and welcome,

First a question.

I assume you have a username and password on the disk?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #3
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

You may need to create a share for this disk. Can you ping the disk? How did the disk get connected to the router, wirelessly or wired? Does the disk come with any software utilties?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #4
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dabedoo View Post
I hooked a network disk to my router but cant get permission to
access the content of it on my computer.

The disk shows up in network but got a this error each time I try
to open it.

I searched the forum for answers but didn't manage to find a good one.

Its saying path not found. Try static IP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #5
dabedoo

Win Seven Ultimate RTM
 
 

The disk is wired to router and has an ip 192.168.2.9
It has a admin/admin login/password.

The disk is formated in fat32 but cant be formated in ntfs coz the software
doesn't allow it.

I managed to mount the disk with the software but transfert rate is very slow. It feels like I'm connected wirelessly on it.

Is there another way to format it into ntfs coz disk manager doesn't even
show it ?

Could the fat32 issue be a problem with win7 ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #6
bobtran

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dabedoo View Post
The disk is wired to router and has an ip 192.168.2.9
It has a admin/admin login/password.

The disk is formated in fat32 but cant be formated in ntfs coz the software
doesn't allow it.

I managed to mount the disk with the software but transfert rate is very slow. It feels like I'm connected wirelessly on it.

Is there another way to format it into ntfs coz disk manager doesn't even
show it ?

Could the fat32 issue be a problem with win7 ?
Connect the drive directly to your pc and use the command line format while pointing to the drive.

Open command prompt (run as admin) type "format /?" to get the detailed info on formatting using the command line. I used this process to format a usb flashdrive that would not allow NTFS in the software. Worked for me.
Good luck, let us know how it goes for you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Oct 2009   #7
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Why not connect the disk directly to your pc and format it with NTFS? I still think you might need to create a share and give it the right permission in order to connect to it.

As for the connection speed, this is the property of the disk. Being a disk with external power supply i would think it'll be faster than a USB only disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #8
ccatlett1984

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
Why not connect the disk directly to your pc and format it with NTFS? I still think you might need to create a share and give it the right permission in order to connect to it.

As for the connection speed, this is the property of the disk. Being a disk with external power supply i would think it'll be faster than a USB only disk.
Its hooked up to a soho router, most can't understand the NTFS formatting. By using FAT32 you dont have to worry about permission issues on the drive. Having a external power supply doesnt make it any faster, that is solely dependent on the spindle speed of the hard drive and amount of cache it has.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #9
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

I'm of the opinion that if the 'USB' external hdd which draws power independently is one which operates more efficiently than one which uses the same cable connecting to the pc for power and uses it also for read/write operations. This is not strickly speaking ofcourse but like you said, depends on the hdd as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Oct 2009   #10
SquonkSC

Win7 Build 7600 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
I'm of the opinion that if the 'USB' external hdd which draws power independently is one which operates more efficiently than one which uses the same cable connecting to the pc for power and uses it also for read/write operations. This is not strickly speaking ofcourse but like you said, depends on the hdd as well.
If the drive is capable of drawing power form usb (2,5" disk),
it doesn't matter if it get's it's power from USB or a seperate adapter.

If the drive gets even a tiny bit underpowered it will not perform less,
it will fail.

(With more items hooked to USB it might get underpowered.)

Greetings
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Mapping a external network disk




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Mapping Network Shared External Drive
We have a company drive that we map folders from to certain computers. They reconnected at log in like normal. However, we have a separate external drive that when I map a folder from it, it never reconnects on log in. I have set the folder permissions for the user I want. I have tried directly...
Network & Sharing
Network Mapping
Alright, So i used to have a little home server i used for backups, and after awhile i figured that i would just use my computer and its secondary hdd for backups. So i am trying to get that drive to be able to be seen on my laptop by mapping it out. both use windows 7. Ideas?
Network & Sharing
Network password for External NAS disk?
Hi all, I hope you can hep me because I have done a lot but nothing seems to work. I have a Win 7 laptop wireless on a router. In this router I have a RJ45 cable to a Conrad NAS Adapter from that adapter a USB cable goes to my external Hard-disk. I see the disk but when I try to access the...
Network & Sharing
Problem with mapping network location - network printer
Hello! I added a printer to my network (hp c5180) via ethernet cable. But problem accords when I try to map a network location (card reader 5in1 or sth like that, is used to read SD, xD, ms cards used in cameras) from which I d like to copy images, files in explorer without extra software from...
Network & Sharing
Network Mapping
Is there a way in Windows 7 to have network mapping (network neighbourhood or network favorites) shown the same way as it used to be in XP ? That is to say similarly as the attached screen shot where there are both domains and workgroups.
Network & Sharing
Network mapping goofiness
Four computers, two (1&2) wired and two (3&4) wireless all connect to the same router. 1&2 are on the same homegroup - the others can't join. Previously 3&4 were on the same Homegroup and the others couldn't join. 1&2 can't map each other on the Network map. :confused: First snip is from...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App