Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI


17 Mar 2013   #1

windows 7 32bit
 
 
Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI

What is the fastest most visually obvious way of sharing files between two laptops.
I recently started using MicroSoft SkyDrive...it works awesome...but larger files take to long to upload to the internet...also it adds extra ($) from monthly internet (upload+download).

Is there a similar software that would do the same thing?
Kinda would just like to right click a file "Send to" and select my computer...
then have me accept it from another computer kinda thing.
the thing with sharing is I usually gotta copy/paste file into shared folder..
upload it from second place..go back delete file in shared...

NOTES:

1) I HATE the libraries option.
2) I also HATE the Network Drive thingy...
3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

Thanks for reading
Hope someone can understand my jumbled question. lol

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Mar 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
What is the fastest most visually obvious way of sharing files between two laptops.
I recently started using MicroSoft SkyDrive...it works awesome...but larger files take to long to upload to the internet...also it adds extra ($) from monthly internet (upload+download).

Is there a similar software that would do the same thing?
Kinda would just like to right click a file "Send to" and select my computer...
then have me accept it from another computer kinda thing.
the thing with sharing is I usually gotta copy/paste file into shared folder..
upload it from second place..go back delete file in shared...

NOTES:

1) I HATE the libraries option.
2) I also HATE the Network Drive thingy...
3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

Thanks for reading
Hope someone can understand my jumbled question. lol
Good luck in finding what you are searching.

I use the thing you hate so much you need to scream it, Libraries over Homegroup. Nothing is so easy as to simply open Explorer and use files on other computers exactly as if they were on mine PC. Easy, fast, so transparent you don't even realize you are accessing files on another PC.

Kari
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2013   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Honestly I would make a Network Drive and lock down folders you don't want used

also you can give it instructions for one folder only if you choose too

That is the fastest and direct way because it mirrors the drive on the other system you can use things like VLC to stream content from a drive but you would have to have it installed on Both another pain in the butt

also would be subject to many failures sky drives are cool if you can utilize them properly but for file sizes larger then pictures and documents such as videos and other mas media is better served by Network drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Mar 2013   #4

windows 7 32bit
 
 

How would you create a network drive? Does that require partitioning the existing C:drive?

Homegroup keeps asking me for a password that I have no idea what it could be.

In the "Network" Tab of Explorer I'm able to see the other running computers...
but unable to open the links.

I'm thinking of buying a giant external wireless Hard Drive and just keeping my media on there so I can access it on any computer...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

You are complaining about the Homegroup but it can accomplish exactly what you want. In fact setting up a Homegroup basically creates a private Domain within the Workgroup.

It's amazing to me that the vast majority of Windows 7 Users do not understand the many advantage of setting up a Homegroup and contrary to popular belief, it's not just for sharing Library's.

You see, when you join a computer to a Homegroup it sets up a virtual barricade between you and the other Workgroup machines. This barricade prevents access to shared folders or Libary's on the Homegroup machines unless they are shared out with "Everyone" using the Homegroup sharing options.

So any shared folders would have access from all other Homegroup machines but the Workgroup machines won't have access to ANY of the shared Homegroup folders or Library's unless they are manually shared with "Everyone" using the Homegroup Sharing Options.

The pictures below show the Share with Everyone process, this will share a Library to other Workgroup machines which aren't part of the Homegroup, otherwise they won't have access.


Attached Thumbnails
Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI-screenshot-1-.png   Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI-screenshot-2-.png   Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI-screenshot-3-.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit sp1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

You are complaining about the Homegroup but it can accomplish exactly what you want. In fact setting up a Homegroup basically creates a private Domain within the Workgroup.

It's amazing to me that the vast majority of Windows 7 Users do not understand the many advantage of setting up a Homegroup and contrary to popular belief, it's not just for sharing Library's.

You see, when you join a computer to a Homegroup it sets up a virtual barricade between you and the other Workgroup machines. This barricade prevents access to shared folders or Libary's on the Homegroup machines unless they are shared out with "Everyone" using the Homegroup sharing options.

So any shared folders would have access from all other Homegroup machines but the Workgroup machines won't have access to ANY of the shared Homegroup folders or Library's unless they are manually shared with "Everyone" using the Homegroup Sharing Options.

The pictures below show the Share with Everyone process, this will share a Library to other Workgroup machines which aren't part of the Homegroup, otherwise they won't have access.
That was a great reply I love Homegroup
Also I use my network drive as an external with homegroup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Solarstarshines View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
3) I'm using a Shared Family Network...I don't want everyone on the same wifi network suddenly gaining access to my private content.

You are complaining about the Homegroup but it can accomplish exactly what you want. In fact setting up a Homegroup basically creates a private Domain within the Workgroup.

It's amazing to me that the vast majority of Windows 7 Users do not understand the many advantage of setting up a Homegroup and contrary to popular belief, it's not just for sharing Library's.

You see, when you join a computer to a Homegroup it sets up a virtual barricade between you and the other Workgroup machines. This barricade prevents access to shared folders or Libary's on the Homegroup machines unless they are shared out with "Everyone" using the Homegroup sharing options.

So any shared folders would have access from all other Homegroup machines but the Workgroup machines won't have access to ANY of the shared Homegroup folders or Library's unless they are manually shared with "Everyone" using the Homegroup Sharing Options.

The pictures below show the Share with Everyone process, this will share a Library to other Workgroup machines which aren't part of the Homegroup, otherwise they won't have access.
That was a great reply I love Homegroup
Also I use my network drive as an external with Homegroup


Thanks for bringing that up.

As you just mentioned, a Homegroup member can easily add a network drive location to a Library then share that Library with "Everyone" as described above, only the designated Library plus the attached network drive location is shared with the Workgroup.

Basically you would have the trusted share machines in the Homegroup with the restricted access machines in the Workgroup.

Between the Public folders and the Homegroup there are quite a few options for selective User sharing.

And I appreciate the compliment on the Homegroup set up and thanks for the rep Kari.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Apr 2013   #8

windows 7 32bit
 
 

hmmm i'm lost already
Would it be easier to install windows 8 on this laptop...
then share somehow with my tablet?
cause then they would both be signed on as my email@live.com?

I'm to scared of accidently sharing my private files with everyone.
I also have much more complex libraries than default Videos, Pictures, Music..
Everything is split by Movies, Tv shows, personal videos etc...
I've got to be able to keep the higher archy somehow...I've got to be be able to visually
Enable, Disable, certain folders...I'm imagining the folder fading out if I disable or something..

you know...something that you can easily manipulate even when your tired, not focusing...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2013   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Homegroup is a great way to share files as already said but here is how I share files with my mates:

> We first connect our systems using LAN cables or wifi (adhoc network) and then both systems are shown connected to "Unidentified (public) network.

> Then we turn on file sharing by going to Control panel - Network and sharing center - Change advanced sharing settings (on left pane) - then expand "Public" and turn on all sharing options (we also turn on password protected sharing option so as to prevent unauthorised access) and then click "Save changes". All this is a one time process.

> Now we go to Computer and then click "Network" on the left pane and the names of the systems connected to the network appears (this sometimes takes a bit of time).

> Now we right click the folder we need to share, click Properties, then go to "Sharing" tab - then click "Share"

> In the dialog box that opens, we select "Everyone" from the drop down list and click Add and then give read/write permissions as required (read only is always better), and then finally click "Share" at the bottom.

> Now we find all the shared folders in Computer->Network->{system-name} on the other computer and can easily copy stuff.

This just seems to be complicated but is fairly easy to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
hmmm i'm lost already
Would it be easier to install windows 8 on this laptop...
then share somehow with my tablet?
cause then they would both be signed on as my email@live.com?

I'm to scared of accidently sharing my private files with everyone.
I also have much more complex libraries than default Videos, Pictures, Music..
Everything is split by Movies, Tv shows, personal videos etc...
I've got to be able to keep the higher archy somehow...I've got to be be able to visually
Enable, Disable, certain folders...I'm imagining the folder fading out if I disable or something..

you know...something that you can easily manipulate even when your tired, not focusing...
Nothing to be scared of really.

Setting up a Homegroup creates a Domain within the workgroup and gives you more options for selective user sharing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Sharing/Sending Files via WIFI




Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33