Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Cannot connect on Windows 7, Vista working fine

23 Mar 2013   #1

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Cannot connect on Windows 7, Vista working fine

Hi guys

I have had the same internet for several years now, and it has always been working fine on both my windows 7 PC and vista laptop. However, I now have a problem connecting on Windows 7, sometimes it says the pass phrase is incorrect (even though its not) and other times it just says there was a problem connecting to the internet.

The only way I am able to connect to my windows 7 PC is if i change my router security to OPEN or WEP. It is currently on WPA2-PSK.

I have done a DNS Flush and took a screen of ipconfig /all.



Any ideas what can be causing this issue?

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Mar 2013   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

There is no wireless NIC showing up at all in the ipconfig, I see a bunch of extra tunnel adaptors and an Ethernet connection which isn't plugged in.

You should check the Device Manager under Network Adaptors and see if the wireless NIC shows up there or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Mar 2013   #3

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
There is no wireless NIC showing up at all in the ipconfig, I see a bunch of extra tunnel adaptors and an Ethernet connection which isn't plugged in.

You should check the Device Manager under Network Adaptors and see if the wireless NIC shows up there or not.
Opps, sorry about that, my usb network adapter was not connected when I did the ipconfig thing... done a new one as shown below.



My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


25 Mar 2013   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Ok from this you have way too many tunnel adaptors here, I have a file for this but you can also manually remove them by going into Device Manger, open the View tab, select show hidden devices, delete all the tunnel adaptors you see there and reboot the machine.

If the adaptors are still showing up I can post a special file that is made to remove them for you. Let me know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2013   #5

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Ok from this you have way too many tunnel adaptors here, I have a file for this but you can also manually remove them by going into Device Manger, open the View tab, select show hidden devices, delete all the tunnel adaptors you see there and reboot the machine.

If the adaptors are still showing up I can post a special file that is made to remove them for you. Let me know.
So I did what you said and deleted all the tunnel adapters, restarted my computer and then did another ipconig/ run. Results posted below.

Any idea what can be causing the internet issue on my computer? Having no problem on my Vista laptop.


upload photos
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Mar 2013   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

You are still showing too many tunnel adaptors which will cause you endless problem until they are removed.

Sometimes they don't all show up. I have a file that will remove them for you here.

Extract and run either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version as required for your system.


Attached Files
File Type: zip 6to4remover.zip (455.4 KB, 4 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #7

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
You are still showing too many tunnel adaptors which will cause you endless problem until they are removed.

Sometimes they don't all show up. I have a file that will remove them for you here.

Extract and run either the 32 bit or the 64 bit version as required for your system.
Hey,

So I ran the removal tool (64bit) and it gave me an error, saying it is not compatible for this machine. I got a screen of what it said below. I also tried running the 32bit but that would not work either.


online photo sharing

I ran the ipconfig/ all command again and i think I have less tunnel adapters then before. Got image below.


upload foto

Hope this information helps. Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Yes the tunnel remover worked, not sure about the error message but they are finally gone.

You still aren't picking up anything from the router.

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for this USB device which I can't even see the name of?

Sometimes just unplugging it and plugging it back in will work.

After that run the IP reset file below.


Attached Files
File Type: zip IPResetALL.zip (33.6 KB, 2 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2013   #9

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Yes the tunnel remover worked, not sure about the error message but they are finally gone.

You still aren't picking up anything from the router.

Have you tried reinstalling the driver for this USB device which I can't even see the name of?

Sometimes just unplugging it and plugging it back in will work.

After that run the IP reset file below.
Hey,

so I did what you said and still no luck. I tried re installing the driver for the wireless usb device but it didnt make a difference. One thing I forgot to mention when I started this topic, not sure if it matters but I also noticed my AVG software disappeared and I am unable to access it from anywhere on my computer. I manged to install BullGuard antivirus and did a scan and no virus were found...

So I did another Ipconfig test and got the results below.



My SSID is appearing when I try to connect to the Internet but when I try entering my password it keeps on saying it is incorrect, even though it is not.



When I go to Network and Sharing Center this is what it shows.



Any ideas?

Thanks and I really appreciate the help.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2013   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Ok, you didn't mention the A/V's before and they can be highly problematic.

You definitely need to uninstall AVG and BullGuard using the special uninstall tool.

There is no way to work around problems caused by these so called anti virus software's, they cause countless connection problems and this has been proven over and over again right here on this forum.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot connect on Windows 7, Vista working fine





Thread Tools




Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33