Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting

13 Apr 2013   #1
kyle010

Alberta
 
 
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting

I'm trying to set up a Synology NAS for my home network, however I can only access via the Synology utility and through a browser using the internal IP address. It does not otherwise appear on my network; I can't ping it, map drives to it by any method, etc.

Googling suggests that this problem can be linked the setting in system > computer name, domain and workgroup settings> change settings > Network ID; and ensuring it is set to 'This is a home network'. However my computer is stuck on 'this computer is part of a business network'; if I change the setting, it asks for a restart and immediately reverts to 'business'. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any way to force the setting?
My network itself is set to 'home'.

Other potential solutions to the NAS problem are also welcome, as that's what the real issue is, although I feel I've hunted most of the low hanging fruit already.

Thanks!
-Kyle


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Apr 2013   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

If this machine ever belonged to a Domain then it would say that. The problem is that once you are part of a Domain you will be locked out of changing the location settings.

Domain Network: For domain networks in large corporate environments. This type of network is controlled by a network administrator and can’t be changed.

You may be able to change this by going to Winkey + R to open Run prompt and type gpedit.msc

Navigate to: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Setting | Network List Manager Policies > Network Location tab, you may be able to change the location here but it may still be locked down by the Domain group policy.


Attached Thumbnails
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting-change-network-location-gpedit.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #3
kyle010

Alberta
 
 

The computer has never been on a domain.
I was able to set the location in gpedit to 'private' as you suggested, but it hasn't addressed the original issue; the system properties network ID option still keeps reverting to business network whenever I change it to 'home computer'.
Additional information, I'm also unable to access the NAS from my laptop, and there I can't even access the network ID setting OR gpedit.msc, although this could be due to the HP windows (7 premium) install.


Attached Thumbnails
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting-network.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Apr 2013   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kyle010 View Post
The computer has never been on a domain.
I was able to set the location in gpedit to 'private' as you suggested, but it hasn't addressed the original issue; the system properties network ID option still keeps reverting to business network whenever I change it to 'home computer'.
Additional information, I'm also unable to access the NAS from my laptop, and there I can't even access the network ID setting OR gpedit.msc, although this could be due to the HP windows (7 premium) install.
Yes Home Premium doesn't have the group policy.

I think you are confused about the network ID having something to do with the can't access NAS box problem, this problem isn't the reason why you can't into the box, the reason why I say this is because I tested this Network ID problem and on my machine it says the exact same thing, no reason for me to change this and this settings causes me no problems at all, see picture.

For the NAS, try adjusting the sharing settings on the NAS box, these NAS boxes are formatted differently depending on who makes them so I can't give exact directions here.

There may be some registry adjustments that will get you into the NAS from the laptop, is the other machine having problems getting into the NAS?


Attached Thumbnails
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting-network-id-same-me.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #5
kyle010

Alberta
 
 

Correct; I'm unable to find the NAS on either machine, and I'm quite unsure as to the source of the problem.
Trying to change the network policy stemmed from this thread, and a couple other similar ones: Synology Inc. Online Community Forum - NEW NAS Experience -View topic - New Windows 8 system doesn't see DS

That's not relevant though if the network ID isn't causing my problems to begin with. I'm no network wizard though, so I'm just trying to chase down everything I can.

The NAS is a Synology DS212J, connected via a cisco DPC3825 router/modem. I also tried using a Linksys E3000 router (although with no internet connection) but that didn't help.
I have one desktop and one laptop, neither of which are able to interact with the NAS in any way as far as I can tell, except via the NAS utility ("Synology Assistant") or by typing in the internal IP address into a browser.

All devices are on the same Workgroup ("WORKGROUP"), the computers are in the same homegroup, the NAS is, as far as I can tell, setup correctly (including enabling windows file service).

I can't ping the NAS from either computer, it doesn't show up in windows explorer, I can't type in its address, etc. Basically the computers are unable to communicate with the NAS, and I have no idea why.
Any ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kyle010 View Post
Correct; I'm unable to find the NAS on either machine, and I'm quite unsure as to the source of the problem.
Trying to change the network policy stemmed from this thread, and a couple other similar ones: Synology Inc. Online Community Forum - NEW NAS Experience -View topic - New Windows 8 system doesn't see DS

That's not relevant though if the network ID isn't causing my problems to begin with. I'm no network wizard though, so I'm just trying to chase down everything I can.

The NAS is a Synology DS212J, connected via a cisco DPC3825 router/modem. I also tried using a Linksys E3000 router (although with no internet connection) but that didn't help.
I have one desktop and one laptop, neither of which are able to interact with the NAS in any way as far as I can tell, except via the NAS utility ("Synology Assistant") or by typing in the internal IP address into a browser.

All devices are on the same Workgroup ("WORKGROUP"), the computers are in the same homegroup, the NAS is, as far as I can tell, setup correctly (including enabling windows file service).

I can't ping the NAS from either computer, it doesn't show up in windows explorer, I can't type in its address, etc. Basically the computers are unable to communicate with the NAS, and I have no idea why.
Any ideas?

So one machine is Windows 8 Pro and the other is Win7 Home Premium?

Have you tried adjusting the Lanman server settings on the 8 pro machine?

The Lanman server settings in the link below are typically used to gain access to older Windows servers "Windows Server 08 or before that" or to gain access into certain LAN boxes.

For the Home Premium machine it may require registry adjustments by way of creating a key for Lanman server but we need to see if these settings work on the Win8 machine first.

Solved W2K3 Server can access W8 W8 computer cant see W2K server
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #7
kyle010

Alberta
 
 

No, sorry for the confusion.
The desktop is windows 7 pro, the laptop is windows 7 premium. (The screenshot above is from the desktop).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kyle010 View Post
No, sorry for the confusion.
The desktop is windows 7 pro, the laptop is windows 7 premium. (The screenshot above is from the desktop).
That's fine, the settings in the link may work for the Pro machine.

As for the network location setting, you should be able to change it to Home by following the link.
Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #9
kyle010

Alberta
 
 

Progress!
I'm still unable to actually access it, but the NAS is now visible on the network to the Pro machine after following the instructions in that link.

The network location as seen in the network and sharing center is already set to home.


Attached Thumbnails
Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting-network2.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Apr 2013   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kyle010 View Post
Progress!
I'm still unable to actually access it, but the NAS is now visible on the network to the Pro machine after following the instructions in that link.

The network location as seen in the network and sharing center is already set to home.
That's good, we are getting somewhere.

At this point you should be able to right click the NAS drive and open properties, there should be some share settings which are similar to the Windows share settings. I'm not even sure which type of NAS you are using so can only guess here, you should make sure that read/write or full access permissions are set up correctly, similar to the picture below.

For the win 7 Home Premium machine there are some registry settings that you need to change.

You should back up your registry before hand.

There needs to be a DWORD named LmCompatibilityLevel set to value of 1(one) at
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

1. Just type regedit in the run box to open regedit and navigate to the following key:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa then choose to create DWORD named LmCompatibilityLevel then set the value to 1. Save settings etc.

2. Search for the following location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanServer\Parameters\

Double click on ‘restrictnullsessaccess’ and change the value data to 0.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7: Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting
I am trying to add a refurbished HP system to my menagerie. It had Windows 7 Pro (64bit) installed when I got it. I went through the setup without any problems, created a user account for myself (Lewis), set the system name to TestPC and started installing and testing some software. Simple...
Network & Sharing
Cannot change System icons setting
So i installed windows 8 transformation pack, and then window update to service pack 1 now my volumn network action center etc cannot be accessed. Sorry for crappy grammar, typing this from an ipad as i am currently restoring back. Uh, i tried the solution of group policy editing and got a...
General Discussion
Registry Setting, Group Pollicy Setting, Explanation
Not everyone will be interested, but: I've found a reference to a MSDN site which provides useful info. Did you ever want to know or need to know the correspondence between a registry setting and a group policy setting? I just wish this had existed earlier. I'm giving the link to John...
Performance & Maintenance
Can't change setting in homegroup
If you can't change the settings in homegroup e.g to stop document sharing, or you can't enable printer sharing then make sure your Windows Firewall is on. I've been using a default setup of an Internet Security product with it's own filewall, but Windows woul not allow me to share a printer or...
Network & Sharing
Properties Setting
Hey anyone knows how to set this to "General tab ? (Default Tab)" I want to check on the disk space and now it gave me a sharing tab as default ...(General Tab)
General Discussion
where can i change the bios setting ?
Hello, i try to find in my award bios acer, the cpu line to active the hyper-v. the only think i've found for cpu is cup ==> amd k8 cool & quiet control when i use tha amd hyper-v check i've got that result http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8176/hyperv.jpg So, this test is really ok for the...
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App