Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: I can access network shared folder, but not subfolder, help please.


28 Apr 2013   #1

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 
I can access network shared folder, but not subfolder, help please.

I have a PC and Laptop. PC is running 7 Ultimate and Laptop is running 7 Pro.
On the PC I have multiple hard drives, internal and external.
I can see all the drives and the shared folders listed individually as well. Over the network (from Laptop) when I go to Drive X I can paste stuff in it, but when I go to X:/Pictures/ I cannot paste anything in here.
Yet, when I go to Drive Z, in here I can paste both in Z:/ and in Z:/Videos.

Interestingly, when checking Network from my Laptop, I see all of them listed, X:, Z:, Pictures, Videos..
I tried everything, and even set all shares same, and added $everyone to shares on PS.

Obviously, I am missing something, and there is something different between the two.
Is there anyway to share EVERYTHING on PC with my Laptop, regardless of where any file/folder is, I would have read/write full access to it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Apr 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hydeIT View Post
I have a PC and Laptop. PC is running 7 Ultimate and Laptop is running 7 Pro.
On the PC I have multiple hard drives, internal and external.
I can see all the drives and the shared folders listed individually as well. Over the network (from Laptop) when I go to Drive X I can paste stuff in it, but when I go to X:/Pictures/ I cannot paste anything in here.
Yet, when I go to Drive Z, in here I can paste both in Z:/ and in Z:/Videos.

Interestingly, when checking Network from my Laptop, I see all of them listed, X:, Z:, Pictures, Videos..
I tried everything, and even set all shares same, and added $everyone to shares on PS.

Obviously, I am missing something, and there is something different between the two.
Is there anyway to share EVERYTHING on PC with my Laptop, regardless of where any file/folder is, I would have read/write full access to it.
If you are having problems accessing only certain files or folders you can try taking ownership of them, the link shows you how to set it up.
Take Ownership Shortcut

If you require total access to the drive, for security reason's, it's usually best to work from the C:>User folder rather than the C: drive. The following link shows you how to add the required permissions to the Security tab in order to gain full control.
HDD sharing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2013   #3

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Thank you, but how do I take ownership of the drive & folders? Should I create the same user on HTPC with same name as my laptop, and then log in as the user, take ownership? But this will allow access ONLY to that particular user, and won't actually allow other users of other laptops at home (like my wife's laptop) to the HTPC hard drive?

Isn't there anyway to just disable all security, like ALL ACCESS using some firewall rules, so every computer in home network can access every single hard drive on every workstation? Like a safe circle?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Apr 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hydeIT View Post
Thank you, but how do I take ownership of the drive & folders? Should I create the same user on HTPC with same name as my laptop, and then log in as the user, take ownership? But this will allow access ONLY to that particular user, and won't actually allow other users of other laptops at home (like my wife's laptop) to the HTPC hard drive?

Isn't there anyway to just disable all security, like ALL ACCESS using some firewall rules, so every computer in home network can access every single hard drive on every workstation? Like a safe circle?
That is precisely what the second link is for. Read what it says.

If you require total access to the drive, for security reason's, it's usually best to work from the C:>User folder rather than the C: drive. The following link shows you how to add the required permissions to the Security tab in order to gain full control.
HDD sharing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2013   #5

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

I mentioned that I added Everyone to the list:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hydeIT View Post
Interestingly, when checking Network from my Laptop, I see all of them listed, X:, Z:, Pictures, Videos..
I tried everything, and even set all shares same, and added $everyone to shares on PC.
But Thanks, you are right, I jumped to conclusion fast and totally forgot about Security tab.
I will go back and share the hell out of my hard drives and hope that it will give me full access to everything.

When you say "for security reasons" it should not be of any importance when all computers at home belong to me, right? And I do not allow any outside computers in my network (other than occasional visitor using Android or iPhone, asking me to let them into my wifi) If you think there would be any risk at all, I would definitely consider adding a guest wifi at home in a separate sub-net.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hydeIT View Post
I mentioned that I added Everyone to the list:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hydeIT View Post
Interestingly, when checking Network from my Laptop, I see all of them listed, X:, Z:, Pictures, Videos..
I tried everything, and even set all shares same, and added $everyone to shares on PC.
But Thanks, you are right, I jumped to conclusion fast and totally forgot about Security tab.
I will go back and share the hell out of my hard drives and hope that it will give me full access to everything.

When you say "for security reasons" it should not be of any importance when all computers at home belong to me, right? And I do not allow any outside computers in my network (other than occasional visitor using Android or iPhone, asking me to let them into my wifi) If you think there would be any risk at all, I would definitely consider adding a guest wifi at home in a separate sub-net.
Yes the Security tab adding Everyone there is key. Don't worry about security too much on your private network, although generally speaking you can access all folders just as easily either way, it's safter from a security stand point to share the C:>Users folder rather than sharing the entire C: drive.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2013   #7

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Thanks for your help, I was able to access 5 out of 6 drives on my HTPC.
However there is one drive that seems to be extremely stubborn. First, I removed all shares associated (disabled sharing) in all drives. And then I made sure there was only one share, with nothing but Everyone selected. Additionally Security tab has everyone and Full Access.

All drives are like that, but this one lets me move files to the root, but not into any folders. For example I:\BIRTHDAY VIDEOS\

More interestingly, I can create a folder in this drive (from my laptop) I:\TESTING\ and I can copy files into this folder.
But I cannot do anything in existing folders.

I thought it might be the owner issue.

I checked that too, I went to H:\Music Mp3\ folder and checked the owner, both I:\BIRTHDAY VIDEOS\ have owner set as "Administrators".

However, while typing and cross-checking above, I noticed that H:\Music MP3\ inherited "Everyone" from H:\ in Security Tab, while I:\BIRTHDAY VIDEOS did NOT.

So I went to I:\ and selected "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"

And now it works! I guess I answered my own question, but I hope this also helps others.
Any idea why one folder would inherit automatically in one drive and other would not?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hydeIT View Post
Thanks for your help, I was able to access 5 out of 6 drives on my HTPC.
However there is one drive that seems to be extremely stubborn. First, I removed all shares associated (disabled sharing) in all drives. And then I made sure there was only one share, with nothing but Everyone selected. Additionally Security tab has everyone and Full Access.

All drives are like that, but this one lets me move files to the root, but not into any folders. For example I:\BIRTHDAY VIDEOS\

More interestingly, I can create a folder in this drive (from my laptop) I:\TESTING\ and I can copy files into this folder.
But I cannot do anything in existing folders.

I thought it might be the owner issue.

I checked that too, I went to H:\Music Mp3\ folder and checked the owner, both I:\BIRTHDAY VIDEOS\ have owner set as "Administrators".

However, while typing and cross-checking above, I noticed that H:\Music MP3\ inherited "Everyone" from H:\ in Security Tab, while I:\BIRTHDAY VIDEOS did NOT.

So I went to I:\ and selected "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"

And now it works! I guess I answered my own question, but I hope this also helps others.
Any idea why one folder would inherit automatically in one drive and other would not?
Yes it's very easy to muck up the share settings on these drives, NTFS security settings have many variables, there is no telling what got mucked up on that particular drive but it happens all the time.

I'm glad the link I posted was helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2013   #9

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Definitely helpful! Works great now, although I cannot wrap my head around why it is so slow.
I think I will have to buy a new router and gigabit switch, but when I think about even at 100mbps switch, it should not be this slow.. That's another topic I guess.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 I can access network shared folder, but not subfolder, help please.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: I can access network shared folder, but not subfolder, help please.
Thread Forum
Cannot access a secured shared folder in xp pro, from win 7 pro Network & Sharing
Unable to access shared folder but able to access shared printer Network & Sharing
Solved No permissions error when trying to access shared network folder Network & Sharing
can't access files in shared folder Network & Sharing
Can't Access Shared Folder! Network & Sharing
Shared Folder Access Lag Network & Sharing
Cannot access shared folder, prompted for pwd/usr Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33