Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Internet Connection Sharing help between Vista and Windows 7

09 May 2013   #11

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote:
on Windows 7 machine: ipconfig/all
is dhcp enabled on lan adapter?
is network card fine on Windows 7 machine (connect it temporary to router and test). Can it browse websites then? has it ip addres 192.168.1.x then?
ipconfig /all on Windows 7 shows DHCP Enabled: yes

I can't connect it to the router because the router is upstairs, and my Windows 7 machine is very very heavy and has a lot of stuff connected to it.

Quote:
Just to make it clear, ICS is for sharing a wired connection, wired to wired only, and it requires a secondary Ethernet adaptor to work at all, a wireless connection does not figure into the equation.
I'm not sure I'm explaining clearly. I have wireless that is connected to the internet and wish to share that internet connection over ethernet cable to my Windows 7 PC.

Also, I tried connectify, and you need the PRO version to share over ethernet.

Quote:
On vista pc:
Undo ICS
Bridge the wireless and wired adapters. Select both in Network Center, rightclick and do bridge
I bridged the connections, and the ipconfig results are:

Windows 7:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::a489:1000:e3e6:f2c2%21
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.242.194
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Windows Vista:

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::c4fc:746f:d2a3:b66e%23
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.108
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Network and Sharing Center on Windows 7 says Unidentified Network and the Sharing Center on Windows Vista is the same except that it says Network Bridge

I'm still eying that 169.254 address

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 May 2013   #12

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ninja0 View Post
Quote:
on Windows 7 machine: ipconfig/all
is dhcp enabled on lan adapter?
is network card fine on Windows 7 machine (connect it temporary to router and test). Can it browse websites then? has it ip addres 192.168.1.x then?
ipconfig /all on Windows 7 shows DHCP Enabled: yes

I can't connect it to the router because the router is upstairs, and my Windows 7 machine is very very heavy and has a lot of stuff connected to it.

Quote:
Just to make it clear, ICS is for sharing a wired connection, wired to wired only, and it requires a secondary Ethernet adaptor to work at all, a wireless connection does not figure into the equation.
I'm not sure I'm explaining clearly. I have wireless that is connected to the internet and wish to share that internet connection over ethernet cable to my Windows 7 PC.

Also, I tried connectify, and you need the PRO version to share over ethernet.

Quote:
On vista pc:
Undo ICS
Bridge the wireless and wired adapters. Select both in Network Center, rightclick and do bridge
I bridged the connections, and the ipconfig results are:

Windows 7:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::a489:1000:e3e6:f2c2%21
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address: 169.254.242.194
Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway:

Windows Vista:

Ethernet adapter Network Bridge:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
Link-local IPv6 Address: fe80::c4fc:746f:d2a3:b66e%23
IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.108
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Network and Sharing Center on Windows 7 says Unidentified Network and the Sharing Center on Windows Vista is the same except that it says Network Bridge

I'm still eying that 169.254 address
delete the network bridge, undo ICS. Now vista has 2 ip addresses:
-192.168.1.108
-169.254..

Windows 7 has 169.254..

Can vista ping Windows 7 and vice versa? Do they see each other in network centre? Just to prove cable and drivers are fine
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2013   #13

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Tried pinging.

Results:

On the Windows 7 machine, the first two pings were "Request timed out." and the second two pings were "Reply from 169.254.xxx.xxx: Destination host unreachable."

On the Vista Machine, it just said "Reply from 169.254.xxx.xxx: Destination host unreachable."

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


11 May 2013   #14

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

On both machines:
Code:
route  -4  print
post output. Be sure bridging and ICS are not active
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2013   #15

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Vista
Code:
===========================================================================
Interface List
 13 ...00 16 d3 97 ea 8a ...... Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
  8 ...00 1a 73 41 b7 0d ...... Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
  1 ........................... Software Loopback Interface 1
 18 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  isatap.{B8ABE36B-A0E7-4573-A378-77E7D08A693E}
  9 ...02 00 54 55 4e 01 ...... Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
 20 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
===========================================================================

IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.1.1    192.168.1.107     25
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      169.254.0.0      255.255.0.0         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
    169.254.10.20  255.255.255.255         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
  169.254.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
      192.168.1.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
    192.168.1.107  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
    192.168.1.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
===========================================================================
Persistent Routes:
  None
Windows 7
Code:
===========================================================================
Interface List
 21...50 46 5d 4f 23 03 ......Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
 17...dc 85 de 67 26 8f ......Bluetooth Personal Area Network
 14...dc 85 de 7c b9 7f ......Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
 12...de 85 de 7c 39 7f ......Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter
 11...dc 85 de 7c b9 7f ......Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
  1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1
 22...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
 20...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
 18...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
 13...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
 19...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
 44...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5
 45...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #6
===========================================================================

IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      169.254.0.0      255.255.0.0         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
  169.254.242.194  255.255.255.255         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
  169.254.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
===========================================================================
Persistent Routes:
  None
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 May 2013   #16

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ninja0 View Post
Vista
Code:
===========================================================================
Interface List
 13 ...00 16 d3 97 ea 8a ...... Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
  8 ...00 1a 73 41 b7 0d ...... Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN
  1 ........................... Software Loopback Interface 1
 18 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  isatap.{B8ABE36B-A0E7-4573-A378-77E7D08A693E}
  9 ...02 00 54 55 4e 01 ...... Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
 20 ...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0  Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
===========================================================================
 
IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
          0.0.0.0          0.0.0.0      192.168.1.1    192.168.1.107     25
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      169.254.0.0      255.255.0.0         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
    169.254.10.20  255.255.255.255         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
  169.254.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
      192.168.1.0    255.255.255.0         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
    192.168.1.107  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
    192.168.1.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     192.168.1.107    281
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link     169.254.10.20    286
===========================================================================
Persistent Routes:
  None
Windows 7
Code:
===========================================================================
Interface List
 21...50 46 5d 4f 23 03 ......Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
 17...dc 85 de 67 26 8f ......Bluetooth Personal Area Network
 14...dc 85 de 7c b9 7f ......Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
 12...de 85 de 7c 39 7f ......Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter
 11...dc 85 de 7c b9 7f ......Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
  1...........................Software Loopback Interface 1
 22...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
 20...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
 18...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3
 13...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
 19...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
 44...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #5
 45...00 00 00 00 00 00 00 e0 Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #6
===========================================================================
 
IPv4 Route Table
===========================================================================
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface  Metric
        127.0.0.0        255.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  127.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
      169.254.0.0      255.255.0.0         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
  169.254.242.194  255.255.255.255         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
  169.254.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
        224.0.0.0        240.0.0.0         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link         127.0.0.1    306
  255.255.255.255  255.255.255.255         On-link   169.254.242.194    286
===========================================================================
Persistent Routes:
  None
routing tables are correct.

on Windows 7: ping 169.254.. (the ip address of vista)
on vista: ping 169.254.. (the ip address of Windows 7)

Disable firewall/virusscan of both machine (temporary)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2013   #17

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

On Both Machines:

Pinging 169.254.xxx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 169.254.xxx.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2013   #18

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ninja0 View Post
On Both Machines:

Pinging 169.254.xxx.xxx with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.
Reply from 169.254.10.20: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 169.254.xxx.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
When did it say received=4??? That means it ended succesfully!

Did you temporary disable firewall and virusscanners during the test?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2013   #19

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

With the firewall on, I got those results on both machines.
With the firewall off, I got those results on the Vista system, but on the Windows 7 system, it said "Request timed out." twice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 May 2013   #20

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Assume vista has 169.254.100.200 and Windows 7 has 169.254.33.44

on vista:
ping 169.254.33.44

on Windows 7:
ping 169.254.100.200

----
so ping vista from Windows 7 and vice versa

post output
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Internet Connection Sharing help between Vista and Windows 7





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Internet Connection Sharing help between Vista and Windows 7
Thread Forum
Solved Sharing an Internet Connection with Windows Virtual PC XP Mode Virtualization
Internet Connection Sharing: No internet Access Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing Problem in Windows 7 Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Sharing internet connection glitch Network & Sharing
internet connection sharing Network & Sharing
Internet Connection Sharing problem in Windows 7 Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Internet Connection Sharing Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33