Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Network Computers and File Sharing Error.

11 Jun 2013   #1
Rush1hour

window 7 professional 64bit
 
 
Network Computers and File Sharing Error.

Hey wondering if anyone can assist me on this issue.
When i click on Computer>>>Network (on the rt side of the panel)>>> I get the error message
Network Discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. click to change.
I click on it and nothing seem to work.
Thanks in advance.




Attached Thumbnails
Network Computers and File Sharing Error.-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Jun 2013   #2
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2013   #3
Rush1hour

window 7 professional 64bit
 
 
office domain network

Hey thanks so much, but I am trying to enable my office domain sharing for window 7 professional.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jun 2013   #4
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Is your network displayed as Home,Work or public in Network and Sharing center? Please follow this tutorial to ensure that it is set to either Home or Work otherwise your computer will be unable to share data to other clients.

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Many Thanks,
Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2013   #5
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rush1hour View Post
Hey wondering if anyone can assist me on this issue.
When i click on Computer>>>Network (on the rt side of the panel)>>> I get the error message
Network Discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. click to change.
I click on it and nothing seem to work.
Thanks in advance.
If Network discovery appears to be turning itself off after you turn it on then you have a fairly serious problem.

I've seen this problem many times and assuming that you made sure all networking services are enabled and set to Automatic then everything should be working, if not, this problem won't go away on it's own.

In most cases it's required that you repair the Base Filtering Engine service in order to fix this problem which is caused from a Virus. The repair utility from ESET can fix this problem, it doesn't matter if you were running ESET or not.

Everyone seems to be getting this problem lately and the only fix is to repair the base filtering engine service which requires that you follow the directions in the link below.

Here it is: I receive the message that my ESET installation ended prematurely - ESET Knowledgebase
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2013   #6
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rush1hour View Post
Hey wondering if anyone can assist me on this issue.
When i click on Computer>>>Network (on the rt side of the panel)>>> I get the error message
Network Discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. click to change.
I click on it and nothing seem to work.
Thanks in advance.
If Network discovery appears to be turning itself off after you turn it on then you have a fairly serious problem.

I've seen this problem many times and assuming that you made sure all networking services are enabled and set to Automatic then everything should be working, if not, this problem won't go away on it's own.

In most cases it's required that you repair the Base Filtering Engine service in order to fix this problem which is caused from a Virus. The repair utility from ESET can fix this problem, it doesn't matter if you were running ESET or not.

Everyone seems to be getting this problem lately and the only fix is to repair the base filtering engine service which requires that you follow the directions in the link below.

Here it is: I receive the message that my ESET installation ended prematurely - ESET Knowledgebase
Just popping in to say thanks for that link. I had a user that was missing all firewall rules (incoming and outgoing) and I could not import them from a known good install. The ESET tool rebuilt those default rules :-)

...hope the tool helps the OP.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2013   #7
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Rush1hour View Post
Hey wondering if anyone can assist me on this issue.
When i click on Computer>>>Network (on the rt side of the panel)>>> I get the error message
Network Discovery and file sharing are turned off. Network computers and devices are not visible. click to change.
I click on it and nothing seem to work.
Thanks in advance.
If Network discovery appears to be turning itself off after you turn it on then you have a fairly serious problem.

I've seen this problem many times and assuming that you made sure all networking services are enabled and set to Automatic then everything should be working, if not, this problem won't go away on it's own.

In most cases it's required that you repair the Base Filtering Engine service in order to fix this problem which is caused from a Virus. The repair utility from ESET can fix this problem, it doesn't matter if you were running ESET or not.

Everyone seems to be getting this problem lately and the only fix is to repair the base filtering engine service which requires that you follow the directions in the link below.

Here it is: I receive the message that my ESET installation ended prematurely - ESET Knowledgebase
Just popping in to say thanks for that link. I had a user that was missing all firewall rules (incoming and outgoing) and I could not import them from a known good install. The ESET tool rebuilt those default rules :-)

...hope the tool helps the OP.
Yes that link is coming in handy lately as this Network Discovery won't stay on problem is caused from a virus wrecking havoc on the firewall rules.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Network Computers and File Sharing Error.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
One-way file sharing problem between two networked computers
The Problem: I have a one-way problem on a home network where one desktop (A) easily shares files from its C-drive through the router with the other desktop (B), but not vice versa. In other words, it is easy to access and transfer files from desktop A to B, but not from B to A. Other facts:...
Network & Sharing
LAN file sharing between 2 specific computers on home WiFi network
Hello everyone! I don't usually go the "beg for help on an unknown forum" route but I'm clearly out of my depth on this issue and hours of furious Googling and tweaking have not helped me one bit. What I'm trying to do is trying to setup file sharing between 2 computers connected by an...
Network & Sharing
file sharing with password/specific computers
so i have this problem. here's the situation: i would like to set up file sharing with specific computers. it doesn't matter if it's by using password or by granting access to my computer only with password (although i would prefer first option). I have already tried few things but it didn't...
Network & Sharing
sharing with specific users/computers in the network
Okay, i have a desktop and a laptop: desktop: user: alex password: password laptop: user: alex password: password
Network & Sharing
Sharing with selected computers in network.
Hello, I'm new here and I don't think I've saw anything on this specifically, furthermore I'm not even 100% positive this is where this should be posted. I've poured over these and similar forums to try to find a simple solution to my situation. Ok, I have 5 computers, 3 desktops and 2 laptops....
Network & Sharing
File Sharing between XP-W7 Computers
I have created my share folders with "everyone" permissions to read, write, and modify as explained (well) here: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP :: the How-To Geek But when I go to copy a file from the XP computer to the W7 computer I get the "Cannot Copy: Access is Denied....
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App