Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer doesn't have a valid IP address

17 Jun 2013   #11
Nightscape

Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jaco-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Mini Card Wireless Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-DB-98-8F-B4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8a7:680c:6098:23ff%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 17, 2013 1:30:06 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:30:06 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887643
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-B0-F9-61-00-0C-29-D7-A8-0D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-DB-3D-60-D5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10e0:46f8:5cd5:64fa%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.100.250(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251664859
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-B0-F9-61-00-0C-29-D7-A8-0D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8B487BDD-B740-4150-B088-093A5FF9CE75}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6497058C-25C5-4CE2-8F43-DFAA3EEC4BCC}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

There is all as you requested


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Jun 2013   #12
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Note   Note
I am currently using Windows Server 2012 however please be assured that the steps are the same.


Can you click start and search for 'Network and Sharing Center' then press enter

Open up the control panel console and you should see the something similar to the following:

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-networkandsharing.png

Please then click on the connections hyperlink whether it be wireless or wired and you should then be presented with the following:

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-status.png

From here click on properties to then be shown the following screen:

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-ethernet-properties.png

From here can you please highlight the 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)' item and then click on properties:

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-obtain-ip-address-auto.png

From here can you click on 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically

After that click OK and then close all prompts and windows and then verify if your issue is solved or not?

Hope This Helps,
Josh!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2013   #13
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Jaco-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11g Mini Card Wireless Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-DB-98-8F-B4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8a7:680c:6098:23ff%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, June 17, 2013 1:30:06 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:30:06 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234887643
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-B0-F9-61-00-0C-29-D7-A8-0D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-DB-3D-60-D5
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10e0:46f8:5cd5:64fa%12(Preferred)
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.100.250(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 251664859
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-B0-F9-61-00-0C-29-D7-A8-0D
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{8B487BDD-B740-4150-B088-093A5FF9CE75}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.{6497058C-25C5-4CE2-8F43-DFAA3EEC4BCC}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

There is all as you requested
http://10.0.0.2 works?
ping 10.0.0.2 works?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Jun 2013   #14
PeaB4YouGo

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

See, I'm okay with 10.0.0.2 being your default gateway, but I don't see it working as your default DNS server. I use the servers at OpenDNS, namely 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Your system is trying to use your router for DNS. That shouldn't be happening in a home setting. That's the reason that the DNS settings should be set to Auto, as shown back in post number 12.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2013   #15
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeaB4YouGo View Post
See, I'm okay with 10.0.0.2 being your default gateway, but I don't see it working as your default DNS server. I use the servers at OpenDNS, namely 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Your system is trying to use your router for DNS. That shouldn't be happening in a home setting. That's the reason that the DNS settings should be set to Auto, as shown back in post number 12.
Home routers will have a set of public DNS servers themselves. You would apply the DNS server the same as the default gateway since the routers DNS records will include the IP addresses of other devices within the LAN.

For example if I wanted to ping \\Josh-PC then the computer will find the IP address on the routers DNS records rather than the public set ones. That being said to find websites such as Google then the router will try and search for it with its own public DNS settings

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-broadband-port.jpg

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-dns-setting.jpg

DHCP should automatically correct any DNS or IP conflict therefore setting to obtain automatically should resolve any IP address conflict or DNS not responding (Subject to internet connectivity) by using the router as the DNS server. This can be verified with the ipconfig /all.

Hope This Helps,
Josh!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2013   #16
PeaB4YouGo

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Okay....

This is the way mine is set up. As you can see in the IP properties, I have DNS set up automatically. My system picks up the DNS from my router (as well as IP thru DHCP). My router does not act as the DNS. My system does not ask my router for DNS information. My system DOES ask my router where to go to get DNS information, however. If you want to ping a local machine, ping it's IP address. Seems to me, it's just as easy.


Attached Thumbnails
Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-routerconfig.jpg   Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-ipconfig.jpg  
Attached Images
Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-ipprop.jpg Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-netprop.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jun 2013   #17
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

I see where you are coming from however in order to connect to machines on your local network by machine names then DNS records will need to be made. These records aren't stored on public DNS servers since your devices have private IP addresses. For example to ping a device by its name the machine must first find its IP address, this is obtained from the DNS records that your router stores and not the public DNS servers. For example below shows that the name 'mybooklive' has been resolved to 192.168.0.121.

Computer doesn't have a valid IP address-ping.jpg

You are correct that your router is not acting as a public DNS server. What happens when finding a website IP address is that your router will first check its own records to see if it knows the IP address. This is normally going to fail therefore it forwards the request to its primary and secondary DNS servers which in your case is set as (208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220) until it finds the websites IP address to which it will then forward that information to your machine to then browse to the server.

Introduction to DNS (Domain Name Services) - YouTube - Detailed information starts at 12:10

This explains alot of DNS if you didn't quite get what I meant I do apologise if the video is patronsing at times

Hope This Helps,
Josh!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #18
Nightscape

Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
 
 

hey guys thanx for all the replies ... i fiddeld with the dns and everything seems to work fine nou ...

thanx a lot
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #19
PeaB4YouGo

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nightscape View Post
hey guys thanx for all the replies ... i fiddeld with the dns and everything seems to work fine nou ...

thanx a lot
I'd be interested in finding out what solution you settled on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Jun 2013   #20
Nightscape

Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
 
 

hi i tried to set my ip adresses and dns manually and then that didn't work ... so i put all the pc's in the house on auto obtain ... turned the router off and the on again ... i then reconnected each pc ... problem seems to be solved now been running for 3 days without issues.

thanx all
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer doesn't have a valid IP address




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Local Area Connection doesnt have a valid IP address
OMG, I am on a server 2012 windows. We are having issues with our Ethernet connection. Wifi is okay great connection. But I am having issues with all the local machines that are connected to Ethernet cable. Can some one please assist me thru this. Server has the correct IP- we have static ip...
Network & Sharing
Strange Not A Valid Email Address Error Message
Hi Everyone, I've been experiencing a weird error message in Windows 7 - when I have to enter my email address to sign up for things in various places I get a strange error message saying this is not a valid email address. This happens irrespective of which browser I use (Chrome, Firefox,...
Browsers & Mail
Wireless doesn't have valid ip configuration
I have a Dell Intel Pentium Desktop and a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7; the router is a Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N 150. Until 8/17/11 I was able to make wireless/wired connection with my laptop, I can make connection with desktop with no problem. When I run troubleshooter I'm informed that...
Network & Sharing
LAN Connection Doesn't Have Valid IP
Help! I am not great at networks and routers. I want to keep my desktop connected to the DSL and be able to use my laptop and iPad elsewhere in my house. I purchased a Linksys as my old router had a very weak signal. Please lead me by the hand if I need more information for you to be able to...
Network & Sharing
Limited or No Connectivity & Not a Valid IP Address
So I just bought a new netbook no less than 2 days ago from Best Buy. My use for the computer doesnt require much, all I want to do is be able to connect to the internet at home, and use it at school for note-taking. For this reason I bought the Acer Aspire Netbook. I cannot access the...
Network & Sharing
Router won't assign network adapter a valid IP address
For some reason my Router stopped assigning my LAN Adapter a valid IP address. No windows updates were made, the router did not reset, I didn't change the driver, it was entirely spontaneous. Things I've tried with no success: Power cycled the PC and the Modem/Router /release & /renew the IP...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:47.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App