Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 networking problem in a workgroup

02 Jul 2013   #1
brainscan

windows 7 32bit
 
 
Windows 7 networking problem in a workgroup

I have a windows 7 machine it can`t see any other computers on LAN, but it can ping them...and other computers can see and can connect to it... what could be wrong? I`m getting frustrated, yesterday was all fine...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jul 2013   #2
fmedicine

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Hey brainscan,

A couple of things - what OS specifically are you running on the machine? Windows 7 Professional, Home Basic/Premium, etc? I appreciate it won't be solely an OS-compatibility thing as it previously worked, but good to know for further troubleshooting steps.

Also, can you confirm the nature of the LAN. What other machines are on this network? What OS' are they running? What sort of environment is it - home, office?

What are you specifically not able to connect to - certain folders? A printer hosted on one of the other machines?

The timing sounds like there may have been a change to the config as of yesterday - most likely causes are a Windows update has caused a change to the administrative privileges on the machine, or a change in the LAN-related settings (sharing settings in particular).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2013   #3
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brainscan View Post
I have a windows 7 machine it can`t see any other computers on LAN, but it can ping them...and other computers can see and can connect to it... what could be wrong? I`m getting frustrated, yesterday was all fine...
What could be wrong is that your anti virus software caused the problem by creating an access rule for no apparent reason.

Which third party A/V software are you using?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


02 Jul 2013   #4
brainscan

windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brainscan View Post
I have a windows 7 machine it can`t see any other computers on LAN, but it can ping them...and other computers can see and can connect to it... what could be wrong? I`m getting frustrated, yesterday was all fine...
What could be wrong is that your anti virus software caused the problem by creating an access rule for no apparent reason.

Which third party A/V software are you using?
I`m using avast...I`ve tried to disable it for 10 minutes...no changes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2013   #5
brainscan

windows 7 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fmedicine View Post
Hey brainscan,

A couple of things - what OS specifically are you running on the machine? Windows 7 Professional, Home Basic/Premium, etc? I appreciate it won't be solely an OS-compatibility thing as it previously worked, but good to know for further troubleshooting steps.

Also, can you confirm the nature of the LAN. What other machines are on this network? What OS' are they running? What sort of environment is it - home, office?

What are you specifically not able to connect to - certain folders? A printer hosted on one of the other machines?

The timing sounds like there may have been a change to the config as of yesterday - most likely causes are a Windows update has caused a change to the administrative privileges on the machine, or a change in the LAN-related settings (sharing settings in particular).
Windows 7 profession 32 bit. It`s a LAN with workgroup about 40-50 computers mainly windows xp pro and about 10 win 7 and couple of linux with samba shares. The only problem is with this windows 7 machine..it can not connect to anything on network, but it could be accessed by other machines. No windows update were installed lately...nothing has changed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2013   #6
UKMedia

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit (SP 1)
 
 

Hi

Under Network and Sharing Center, what type of network do you have? (Private, Work, Public...) To use a Workgroup, you need to change the type to Work.

Regards
UKMedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2013   #7
fmedicine

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brainscan View Post
Windows 7 profession 32 bit. It`s a LAN with workgroup about 40-50 computers mainly windows xp pro and about 10 win 7 and couple of linux with samba shares. The only problem is with this windows 7 machine..it can not connect to anything on network, but it could be accessed by other machines. No windows update were installed lately...nothing has changed.
Humour me and check the user profiles and see whether the one having problems has changed to be a debugger user. This can happen as a result of certain Windows updates (I know you said none gave been installed, but it'll only take a second to check...) and has caused all sorts of issues in the past.

If network connectivity is confirmed, a sudden change in what you are able to do suggests a permissions change.

I would've also suggested anti-virus but it seems you ruled that out. No other security programs other than Avast?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2013   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brainscan View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by brainscan View Post
I have a windows 7 machine it can`t see any other computers on LAN, but it can ping them...and other computers can see and can connect to it... what could be wrong? I`m getting frustrated, yesterday was all fine...
What could be wrong is that your anti virus software caused the problem by creating an access rule for no apparent reason.

Which third party A/V software are you using?
I`m using avast...I`ve tried to disable it for 10 minutes...no changes.
Have you tried using system restore to take your system back to a time before the problem occurred?

System Restore
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 networking problem in a workgroup




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can a Windows 7 repair fix a very specific networking problem?
I'll start by listing three posts over the past two years that give a LOT of background here: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/209320-laptop-can-no-longer-access-shared-printer-files-home-network.html...
Performance & Maintenance
Mac and Windows 7 Networking Problem
Hi, Firstly this isn't very advanced... just more so than the information I've managed to find this evening. I have a home network, based around a wireless router which our internet is distributed by. The connection is fine for internet but not great for file sharing. I take a lot of...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit + XP Pro Workgroup Problem
Hi All, I bought a laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit a few months back. Being in school I never added it to my home's workgroup (I don't use it all that much). However, working at a friends house I would like to be able to see all of his network computers and network hard drives. I have been...
Network & Sharing
home workgroup problem
four computors are involved. One XP Pro, one Win7 laptop, one new Win7 with an AMD Phenom 3.2GHz CPU and Win2k. They are all connected to a workgroup. The two Win7's can see and talk to the XP Pro and Windows 2k, Both win7's SEE each other XP Pro, Win2k. Both Win7's have their drives shared,...
Network & Sharing
Windows 2000 Windows 7 networking problem.
I set up a w2k machine as a print server and all my XP machines print from it just fine. My 7 machine on the other hand just says my password for the user is wrong when I try to access it in network. I have tried a user account admin/pass and administrator admin/pass and do have a password set on...
Network & Sharing
Problem with networking between windows 7 and xp
HI I have a lan network between two computer and one of them has windows xp running and the other one has windows 7.I didn't have problem with xp but in 7 when I go to network and want to open the shared drive on the other computer it shows me a new window and it says Enter network password .This...
Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App