Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Set Fixed IP Address Impossible

20 Aug 2013   #1
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 
Set Fixed IP Address Impossible

It seems) Windows 7 assigns itself random IP addresses at each boot, causing problems with a wireless connected laptop.

Trying to assign a fixed IP address through the Network Connections/TCP-IPv6 dialogue gives an error box 'In order to configure TCP/IP you must install and enable a network adaptor card' Arrant nonsense as the details of the adaptor card are clearly visible in the previous dialogue. I can access my three wired machines and the Internet, thus it seems obvious that the adaptor is installed and working !!!

What am I missing.

Regards

Cheemag


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Aug 2013   #2
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Are you trying to assign a global unicast IPv6 address or change the link local address? Windows uses a temporary IPv6 address when connecting to the internet to help hide your identity on the web since the standard uses EUI-64 to form the interface ID part of the address (Mac Address with FFFE).

To disable this and use the EUI standard to surpress any temporary addresses then open an elevated command prompt and type the following exactly and individually (Separate command per line):

Code:
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=persistent
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=persistent
As for the error with installing and enabling the network card, it is not an error that I face often and is normally related to a TCP/IP binding error. Can you run the following script as administrator and see if that solves anything:

code of the script:

Code:
@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0
Hope This Helps,
Josh


Attached Files
File Type: bat FlushDNS.bat (259 Bytes, 7 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Aug 2013   #3
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Are you trying to assign a global unicast IPv6 address or change the link local address? Windows uses a temporary IPv6 address when connecting to the internet to help hide your identity on the web since the standard uses EUI-64 to form the interface ID part of the address (Mac Address with FFFE).

To disable this and use the EUI standard to surpress any temporary addresses then open an elevated command prompt and type the following exactly and individually (Separate command per line):

Code:
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set privacy state=disabled store=persistent
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=active
netsh interface ipv6 set global randomizeidentifiers=disabled store=persistent
As for the error with installing and enabling the network card, it is not an error that I face often and is normally related to a TCP/IP binding error. Can you run the following script as administrator and see if that solves anything:

code of the script:

Code:
@Echo on
pushd\windows\system32\drivers\etc
attrib -h -s -r hosts
echo 127.0.0.1 localhost>HOSTS
attrib +r +h +s hosts
popd
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh winsock reset all
netsh int ip reset all
shutdown -r -t 1
del %0
Hope This Helps,
Josh
That looks complicated. So I enter the first block of code at the command prompt then copy and run the batch file.

I'll let you know if it succeeds, but it may be some days before I can get back ...

(Later: I see you've attached the batch file - thanks! ]

Regards,

Cheemag
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Aug 2013   #4
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Enter each netsh... command seperately in the command prompt and then for the batch file just run the script

I included the contents so that other users who see this thread know what is in the file that it won't harm your machine

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2013   #5
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Enter each netsh... command seperately in the command prompt and then for the batch file just run the script

I included the contents so that other users who see this thread know what is in the file that it won't harm your machine

Josh
OK. Thanks.

I did all the netsh commands and got OK from each.

I ran the batch file. There were a couple of info boxes but they went away too quickly to read. The machine closed down (not just restarted).

Restarting, I still can't alter the IPv4 (or for that matter IPv6) parameters as the 'missing' network card issue is still there.

What now? Uninstall the card and re-install it?

On the other hand it isn't enormously important that this Windows 7 machine works with the laptop as the other two XP are available and networking with the laptop and with the Win-7 machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2013   #6
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Hmm... you may have to reinstall your network drivers to reinstall TCP/IP as it seems it isn't installed.

In the cards properties can you click on 'Install' and then click on 'Protocol' - What appears?

Set Fixed IP Address Impossible-install-tcp-ip.png

What is the make/model of the network card in question? My apologies if it has already mentioned before..

Josh


My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2013   #7
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

As for the batch file, It is meant to reboot the machine and delete itself once completed. The information shown briefly is the commands being executed.

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Aug 2013   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

From what I have read this issue occurs because a network adapter with the same IP address is in the registry but is hidden in Device Manager, it's basically been ghosted.

Also if you plan on using a static IP, it's best to use an IP that is outside the range of DHCP IP address that the router is using. Not sure why you would mess with IPv6 when the address needs to be IPv4. So if the router shows a DHCP range of 192.168.0.2/192.168.0.100 then use an IP that is just outside that range.

I'm not completely sure this is the same problem but the symptoms are similar.

The following link shows a Microsoft fix for the problem, there appears to be separate fixes for Windows 7/8 etc.

Error message when you try to set an IP address on a network adapter
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2013   #9
Cheemag

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Hmm... you may have to reinstall your network drivers to reinstall TCP/IP as it seems it isn't installed.
(

Quote:
In the cards properties can you click on 'Install' and then click on 'Protocol' - What appears?
"A protocol is a language your computer uses to communicate with other computers."

Quote:
What is the make/model of the network card in question?
Realtec RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20).

Without taking the covers off, I'm fairly sure it's integrated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Aug 2013   #10
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Please download the following folders to your machine and then on the 'Uninstall Driver' one open up the file inside to view instructions on how to uninstall your driver. (Network driver).

Once you have done that please open up the driver folder and install the driver inside that folder (You may need to extract the folder). Once done please reboot the machine and then try to set an IP address (IPv4 or IPv6)

EDIT: Updating the driver folder to correct one....

EDIT: Extract the 'Install' folder and then run setup.exe to install the driver

Hope This Helps,
Josh


Attached Files
File Type: zip Uninstall drivers.zip (2.25 MB, 27 views)
File Type: zip Install_Win7_7073_07232013.zip (5.81 MB, 16 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Set Fixed IP Address Impossible




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
'No Internet Access' IP address shows router not the modem IP address
Hey everyone. I've ran into a problem that I can't quite figure out. My internet connection shows 'no internet access' even though my ISP shows the connection is coming into the house just fine. I usually use a router (NetGear-WNR3500U) but I right now I have the Ethernet connection plugged...
Network & Sharing
Hi users -please post when your problem is fixed (or even not fixed)
Hi everyone now I don't mind spending some time trying to help people and am glad for the hints and fixes I've got off these sites --but it does seem to me to be a trend with some of the newer users that they post a problem --you reply --and these guys never post a follow up --like it worked or...
Chillout Room
fixed BSOD isn't fixed :(
right. i had another thread here but we fixed it. apparently though, we didn't. i just 2 BSOD's in a timespan of about an hour. i didn't package the first dumps, because i hoped that it was just an anomaly... anyway, a .rar is attached, can anyone please look at it? tnx :) P.S i got my first few...
BSOD Help and Support
Achieving the Impossible
Most people know that you can't create a new folder and give it the name con (try it), but I can prove you wrong. The question is... How?
Chillout Room
rounter address externally and ftp address??
Hey, I have a dlink pre N wireless router. From within my network, I can access my router (192.168.2.1), but how do I access my router from outside my network? I did use the address found in "whats my ip" site, but I did not access my router. Also, if I setup my network storage's FTP feature,...
Network & Sharing
This is so screwed it's impossible!
Hello people, I came to this forum in rage. This is so weird i can't help but scratch my head and watch in awe. Here's the deal: Like most people here i have some sort of an internet black-out problem. My event log is full of error's considering DHCP unavailability and other connection...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App