Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No network access for Xbox 360 (Failed IP Address)

24 Sep 2013   #11
Leinkreig

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Just tried what you suggested but nothing changed; I still have a problem with the IP Address.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Sep 2013   #12
DreadStarX

Windows 8 64bit Professional
 
 

I'm currently enrolled in Job Corp, and I've ran into several problems like this.

I'm not sure setting your IP to the LAN Configuration will work. I would try setting it as the WAN IP and see what happens there.

Furthermore, Check to see which updates were recently installed via Windows Updates, and I would be careful about Auto Updating in the future. WU has been known to cause some issues with peoples gimmicked setups. I know I've had plenty of headaches from it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #13
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leinkreig View Post
Just tried what you suggested but nothing changed; I still have a problem with the IP Address.
Try public DNS servers. Your laptop won't be a DNS server so that you can remove your laptops IP address from your DNS settings.

Primary: 8.8.8.8

Secondary: 8.8.4.4

__________________________________________

Only breifly read the thread but if you want to have an ethernet cable between your laptop and Xbox only you will need to set up static IP addresses as stated by 2xg. Failure to do so will result in an Unidentified Network.

Also, I'm not sure whether or not your Xbox will allow multiple connections at once.

To ensure that the point to point ethernet connection between the laptop and xbox are on a different subnet please use the following addresses for the ethernet adapter(s):

XBOX:

IP address: 172.16.1.11

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128

NO DEFAULT GATEWAY

LAPTOP:

IP address: 172.16.1.12

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128

NO DEFAULT GATEWAY.

__________________________________

For the connection to the internet using the phone hotspot you should be able to change the DNS servers as listed above and test it. That being said I would keep it on Auto assign since a phone hotspot is not a router and has it's own set of configurations.

Just my view,
Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Sep 2013   #14
Leinkreig

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DreadStarX View Post
I'm not sure setting your IP to the LAN Configuration will work. I would try setting it as the WAN IP and see what happens there.

Furthermore, Check to see which updates were recently installed via Windows Updates, and I would be careful about Auto Updating in the future. WU has been known to cause some issues with peoples gimmicked setups. I know I've had plenty of headaches from it.
If I'm going to be honest, I have no idea how to make changes/settings for either LAN or WAN as I've never had to before.
With regards to Windows Update, all that appear for the recent update were security updates as far as I can tell. (But yeah, I've noticed WU tends to create problems for some settings I've changed before, too.)


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post

To ensure that the point to point ethernet connection between the laptop and xbox are on a different subnet please use the following addresses for the ethernet adapter(s):

XBOX:

IP address: 172.16.1.11

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128

NO DEFAULT GATEWAY

LAPTOP:

IP address: 172.16.1.12

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128

NO DEFAULT GATEWAY.

__________________________________

For the connection to the internet using the phone hotspot you should be able to change the DNS servers as listed above and test it. That being said I would keep it on Auto assign since a phone hotspot is not a router and has it's own set of configurations.
I take it you mean I should set the IP Address when asked on the Xbox to that you mentioned in the part you entitled 'XBOX:'? If so, I'm not sure what to do with the one for the laptop.
If you're able to edit the IP Address on the laptop (and Subnet Mask, etc.) I honestly have no idea how.
I'm not really one for having to set things up for a network or anything of the sort, so I'm completely clueless.
I'll try the DNS settings like you suggested, though.

Thanks for the help (both of you)!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #15
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Yes put the address and subnet mask in the Xbox (ONLY WHEN AN ETHERNET CABLE IS CONNECTED TO THE LAPTOP).

As for changing the IP address for the laptop - DNS Addressing - How to Change in Windows 7

warning   Warning
Do not change the DNS servers. Follow the above tutorial up to Step 6. On Step 4 make sure you right click the ethernet adapter and NOT the wireless one when selecting the properties. Once the you have TCP/IP properties, click on the 'Use the Following Address' button and only enter the address mentioned in my previous post.


This should allow communication across that ethernet link between your laptop and Xbox. If you wish to connect to the internet then just connect to the wireless hotspot.

Note   Note
You may need to re-enter the IP address on your Xbox when you wish to connect to the laptop since an Xbox can only use one connection


Hopefully this helps,
Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #16
Leinkreig

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Yes put the address and subnet mask in the Xbox (ONLY WHEN AN ETHERNET CABLE IS CONNECTED TO THE LAPTOP).

As for changing the IP address for the laptop - DNS Addressing - How to Change in Windows 7

warning   Warning
Do not change the DNS servers. Follow the above tutorial up to Step 6. On Step 4 make sure you right click the ethernet adapter and NOT the wireless one when selecting the properties. Once the you have TCP/IP properties, click on the 'Use the Following Address' button and only enter the address mentioned in my previous post.


This should allow communication across that ethernet link between your laptop and Xbox. If you wish to connect to the internet then just connect to the wireless hotspot.

Note   Note
You may need to re-enter the IP address on your Xbox when you wish to connect to the laptop since an Xbox can only use one connection
For some reason, it still doesn't work.
I've got it set up like this on my Xbox:

IP Address: 172.16.1.11
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Gateway: 192.168.43.1 (It won't let me remove the gateway as even when I erase everything to do it over it reappears, then says that I can't leave it blank.)

For my laptop, I have it set up like this:

(Local Area Connection, Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties)
Use the following IP address:
IP address: 172.16.1.12
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.128
Default Gateway: Blank

The DNS server/settings on both my Xbox and laptop have been left alone, so they're blank too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #17
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

How are you accessing each device?

Are you able to set the default gateway to - 0.0.0.0?

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #18
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Open a command prompt on the laptop and type the following:

Code:
ping 172.16.1.11
What results do you get?

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #19
Leinkreig

Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit
 
 

What do you mean by 'accessing'?
Do you mean how am I connecting them, using them, or..?

And on the Xbox it says 'Enter a gateway address. This address must not be 0.0.0.0, 255.255.255.255, or 127.0.0.1.'

Edit::
Also, just tried pinging the address you told me and I got:
'Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 172.16.1.11 :
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% Loss)'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2013   #20
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Leinkreig View Post
What do you mean by 'accessing'?
Do you mean how am I connecting them, using them, or..?

And on the Xbox it says 'Enter a gateway address. This address must not be 0.0.0.0, 255.255.255.255, or 127.0.0.1.'
Okay, leave the default gateway to how it is, it shouldn't cause an issue however it is a console so I can't comment on whether it is required. If so we may have to explore other topology'.

I mean, when trying to access the other device are you accessing it via IP address or are you using a hostname like (LAPTOP-1.. etc)

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No network access for Xbox 360 (Failed IP Address)




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Group Policy Issue: A service failed message and XBOX Won't connect
Hi and thanks for any help, hope this is in the right spot. Symptoms: 1. Pop stating a service failed to start. Happens every boot up. 2. Event ID's 7000 and 7009 each time. 3. XBox lost connection as extender and will not reconnect (I do understand this completley so the setup side is not...
Network & Sharing
'No Internet Access' IP address shows router not the modem IP address
Hey everyone. I've ran into a problem that I can't quite figure out. My internet connection shows 'no internet access' even though my ISP shows the connection is coming into the house just fine. I usually use a router (NetGear-WNR3500U) but I right now I have the Ethernet connection plugged...
Network & Sharing
Xbox 360 extender will not connect. Xbox is in network.... HELP!!
Sorry if something has been posted already like this; I did a quick search and couldn't find anything to solve my particular problems. My router is a Belkin Wireless N router. My PC is connected wirelessly to the network. The Xbox is connected via ethernet. I have Windows Firewall completely off...
Media Center
Network Sharing hardwired from computer to Xbox. Xbox NoInternetAcess
Hey I am having problems connecting to Xbox live because it has no internet access and I have tried lots of protocols and nothing is working. I need help! I am not a computer savvy person but I think I have done enough resetting and going through countless forums. Okay here is the deal I am...
Network & Sharing
local area connection unidentified network no internet access Xbox
Hey i am having problems connecting to Xbox live because it has no internet access and i have tried lots of things and nothing is working. here is the story behind it.... i had tried connecting many times before but it wouldn't work but one day i tried and i changed sharing on something (IDK what i...
Network & Sharing
Unidentified Network (No Internet Access) Ethernet > Xbox
I've just about had enough of this now. I've been searching for nearly two days for a solution. Okay, so, here it is. I basically need a step by step instruction guide here as I haven't got a clue how to fix this. Anyway, about two months ago I had some money problems and was forced to...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App