Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: DNS Server - use any one that "ranks" higher?

26 Sep 2013   #41
jimnycricket

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Internet is solid today.

Last night, TW Technician came out and swapped out the modem. He said the modem was old and the physical setting of some kind (stepping down and stepping it up) might have been the culprit.

I will report back in tomorrow and see if all the ordeal was physical modem.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Sep 2013   #42
jimnycricket

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Another day of undisturbed internet connectivity since the swapping of the modem. I will return after the weekend to post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2013   #43
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

It's looking promising I am almost certain that swapping out the modem has done the trick

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Sep 2013   #44
jimnycricket

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
It's looking promising I am almost certain that swapping out the modem has done the trick

Josh
Thanks, Josh (and other forum members)!

I will keep you guys posted on its performance.
What do you think of this? Should I be concerned about these higher response times?
DNS Server - use any one that "ranks" higher?-constantping.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2013   #45
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Since you recently changed the modem I personally wouldn't as it can take some time for the other side to settle down. Keep monitoring it and if it hasn't settled down after a week or so then I would begin to do some troubleshooting. Just a quick question, do the high ping times affect other devices on the network?

Josh
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2013   #46
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Pings are good for determining connectivity. Ping may not always be a good indicator of network performance. I've read in several places (but have no way top verify) that ping traffic is given a relatively low priority on a network. If there is a lot of other traffic following the same path, ping times may slow.

You might want to get a second "ping opinion". Do a tracert to google.com and take note of the first IP outside of your network (For you, that will probably be the 3 or 4th hop). Constantly ping that IP also. The ping to Google might show a few higher spots, but the ping to equipment closer to your network might not show any change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2013   #47
tjg79

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Pings are good for determining connectivity. Ping may not always be a good indicator of network performance. I've read in several places (but have no way top verify) that ping traffic is given a relatively low priority on a network. If there is a lot of other traffic following the same path, ping times may slow.

You might want to get a second "ping opinion". Do a tracert to google.com and take note of the first IP outside of your network (For you, that will probably be the 3 or 4th hop). Constantly ping that IP also. The ping to Google might show a few higher spots, but the ping to equipment closer to your network might not show any change.
How do you do a "tracert?"

This is a good thread for me. I've picked up some good information.

Regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2013   #48
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tjg79 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Pings are good for determining connectivity. Ping may not always be a good indicator of network performance. I've read in several places (but have no way top verify) that ping traffic is given a relatively low priority on a network. If there is a lot of other traffic following the same path, ping times may slow.

You might want to get a second "ping opinion". Do a tracert to google.com and take note of the first IP outside of your network (For you, that will probably be the 3 or 4th hop). Constantly ping that IP also. The ping to Google might show a few higher spots, but the ping to equipment closer to your network might not show any change.
How do you do a "tracert?"

This is a good thread for me. I've picked up some good information.

Regards
Open a command prompt and type:

Code:
tracert www.google.com
Then just change google for any other website or IP address

For example, here's mine to google

DNS Server - use any one that "ranks" higher?-trace.jpg

The request time outs are simply routers that do not respond to ICMP messages and do not indicate any fault on your end

Josh


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 DNS Server - use any one that "ranks" higher?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Kyboard deos not respond to the keys: "e", "d", "c" and "3"
Example sentence: vrytim I prss ths kys, nothing happns. Now I'm writing with my on-sreen keyboard. I'm clueless when it comes to computer stuff. How do I fix this? Is this a software problem, or a hardware problem?Help is much appreciated!
Hardware & Devices
Changing the "minimize" "maximize" and "close" buttons of a theme
Ok so I'm using a custom visual style made by another user however I don't really like the buttons used that I mentioned above. The creator states it is acceptable to change the theme to however you like as long as you don't redistribute it anywhere. Ok so I opened up the .msstyles file (using...
Customization
BSOD every few hours: mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "c00021a" & "c0000135"
Hi everyone! Yesterday my HP laptop (Windows 7) started getting BSOD with various types of errors (mostly "STOP: 0x00000F4", "STOP: 0x0000007A", "c00021a" and one "missing %hs, c0000135"). Most of the time it restarts without any issues and works fine right after the BSOD and then an hour or two...
BSOD Help and Support
Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"
My office just upgraded, and I can no longer use Windows XP. On this system, I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network, and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists. Each task on each taskbar...
General Discussion
NAS shows as "Media Server" and "Other Device"
Hi All, Thanks in advance for any help. I purchased and installed an Iomega 34766 NAS yesterday. I have three machines that run Windows 7 (2 - Ulitmate 32bit & 64bit; 1 - Professional 32bit) and a Windows xp machine. I am having trouble getting the Windows 7 Professional 32bit...
Network & Sharing
Win7 "workstation" to WinXP "server" file copy FAIL
This is driving me bonkers and I have almost no hair left. I really hope someone can help. When I attempt to copy or move a file or folder from my Win7 box to my WinXP (SP3) media server, the operation nearly always fails. Take, for example, my trying to copy the VLC Media Player folder (704...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App