Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need help transferring files FROM Vista TO Windows 7

19 Oct 2013   #1
iamc3k

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 
Need help transferring files FROM Vista TO Windows 7

Folks,

The Situation:

I've got a Vista64 Ultimate machine. It has been my main computer in my home for awhile. I'm replacing it with a new build Windows 7 machine.

I want to transfer all the various User files I've created (documents, pictures, savegames, downloads, etc.) from the Vista machine to the Window 7 computer.

I have a total of 4 Windows 7 machines on my Homegroup. If I stumble my way through the various tutorials, I'm able to share files in libraries on the Windows 7 computers.

I cannot transfer files from my Vista machine. I cannot access it from any other computer.

What I've tried:

I cloned my single HDD on my Vista computer. I installed the cloned drive into my new build Windows 7 machine as a second harddrive (D). My thought was that I could just transfer files within the computer, using the benefit of internal computer speeds.

I cannot access the cloned drive. I get an error message that I do not have permission to access.


Using the network, I can see the Vista computer on network (not Homegroup), but again, I have no permission to access it. (In fact, I have no permissions to ANY network computer, just homegroup.)


So, this seemed simple. I was wrong.

How can I gain total access to all the files on my Vista computer, either through the network or with the cloned hard drive inside another machine?

Thank you.

Ken


My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2013   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iamc3k View Post
Folks,

The Situation:

I've got a Vista64 Ultimate machine. It has been my main computer in my home for awhile. I'm replacing it with a new build Windows 7 machine.

I want to transfer all the various User files I've created (documents, pictures, savegames, downloads, etc.) from the Vista machine to the Window 7 computer.

I have a total of 4 Windows 7 machines on my Homegroup. If I stumble my way through the various tutorials, I'm able to share files in libraries on the Windows 7 computers.

I cannot transfer files from my Vista machine. I cannot access it from any other computer.

What I've tried:

I cloned my single HDD on my Vista computer. I installed the cloned drive into my new build Windows 7 machine as a second harddrive (D). My thought was that I could just transfer files within the computer, using the benefit of internal computer speeds.

I cannot access the cloned drive. I get an error message that I do not have permission to access.


Using the network, I can see the Vista computer on network (not Homegroup), but again, I have no permission to access it. (In fact, I have no permissions to ANY network computer, just homegroup.)


So, this seemed simple. I was wrong.

How can I gain total access to all the files on my Vista computer, either through the network or with the cloned hard drive inside another machine?

Thank you.

Ken
The following link should help. This will give you total access to the User folders by adding write access for the Everyone share.

HDD sharing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2013   #3
iamc3k

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

Thanks.

In order to use that harddrive (cloned from Vista "C" and installed into Windows 7 as a spare "E") in Windows 7, using the "Everyone" Share setting, I guess I need to set Vista "C"'s share, then re-clone (so the permission carries over to the cloned drive), then reinstall the clone drive into Windows 7.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2013   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iamc3k View Post
Thanks.

In order to use that harddrive (cloned from Vista "C" and installed into Windows 7 as a spare "E") in Windows 7, using the "Everyone" Share setting, I guess I need to set Vista "C"'s share, then re-clone (so the permission carries over to the cloned drive), then reinstall the clone drive into Windows 7.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Ken
'

If you can't get into the drive to make the permission adjustments I guess that would be true, although you could try adding a new User to the Windows 7 machine with the same credentials as was used on the Vista machine. This way you could gain access to the drive in order to change the permissions to allow Everyone access.

You should also work from the C:>Users folder rather than the C drive directly unless you require access to system files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Oct 2013   #5
iamc3k

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
 
 

Well, that didn't work.

(Networking: I have not tried recloning and reinstalling the harddrive.)

I've got bigger network issues

4 Windows 7 computers: Each is visible on "Computer" in two locations, Homegroup and Network.

I can access -some- folders of 2 computers in the Homegroup. (Hardwired computers. Wireless laptop SHOWS as part of the homegroup can cannot see other libraries or allow access to its libraries. Let's ignore that for a few minutes.)

Under "Network", the Vista computer is missing. I fail to ping its IP address. Also, despite the windows 7 computers being listed under "Network", none of them are accessible.

I have turned on Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, etc.

I am totally stumped.

Edited to add: It's my antivirus. I'm running Kaspersky 2014. When I shut it off, I have access. Time to troubleshoot the software.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2013   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iamc3k View Post
Well, that didn't work.

(Networking: I have not tried recloning and reinstalling the harddrive.)

I've got bigger network issues

4 Windows 7 computers: Each is visible on "Computer" in two locations, Homegroup and Network.

I can access -some- folders of 2 computers in the Homegroup. (Hardwired computers. Wireless laptop SHOWS as part of the homegroup can cannot see other libraries or allow access to its libraries. Let's ignore that for a few minutes.)

Under "Network", the Vista computer is missing. I fail to ping its IP address. Also, despite the windows 7 computers being listed under "Network", none of them are accessible.

I have turned on Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, etc.

I am totally stumped.

Edited to add: It's my antivirus. I'm running Kaspersky 2014. When I shut it off, I have access. Time to troubleshoot the software.

Ken
It's always the anti virus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need help transferring files FROM Vista TO Windows 7




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Transferring 2010 License from Vista to Win 7
Is it possible to transfer a licence from one OS to the other? I've phoned Microsoft support before so I wouldn't mind doing that again since I got through to a woman in America who helped me with problems with my Vista License key when I replaced the Motherboard (which was really my own fault...
Microsoft Office
Distorted sound windows 7 when transferring files from wireless HDD
Distorted sound windows 7 when transferring files from wireless HDD - YouTube (screen recording with audio) Please help me i'm desperate, this issue is bugging me for a week now Already tried: - uninstall and reinstall audio (IDT High Definition Audio CODEC) and wireless (intel centrino...
Sound & Audio
Transferring Old Vista Installation to New Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Hi All, I'm new to these forums. New to Windows 7. But an old computer guy. So I know when I need to ask for some help. I had an old HP laptop running Vista and the the video died but, the hard disk was still good. The computer itself was not worth repairing. I replaced it with a new Dell...
Installation & Setup
Transferring Files from Windows Vista to Windows 7
Hello all - and anyone who can help me out with this. I've just purchased a Dell XPS that is loaded with Windows 7 x64. My old computer is a Dell Inspiron with Windows Vista. I've been trying to transfer my files from the old computer to the new computer, but it doesn't seem to be working at...
General Discussion
Help with transferring 32 files to 64 bit
I had Win 7 32 bit installed and just put 4GB of ram in to run 64 bit system. 1. How do I get some, like favorites, programs from Windows.old 32bit over to the new 64 bit OS? 2. Once this is done can I or should I delete windows.old 3. I notice that I have Prorgram Files and Program File (86)...
Installation & Setup
Transferring Adaptec AIC-7870 Driver from Vista x64 to 7 x64
I installed Windows 7 Beta x64 a few days ago and I am really enjoying it. I would like to keep it as my main OS but the major problem is that I perform backups on a tape drive connected to an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI PCI Host Adaptor which is not recognised in Windows 7. Adaptec's website has only...
Drivers

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App