Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: How to connect 2 pc with router.

23 Oct 2013   #1

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 
How to connect 2 pc with router.

Hi to all seven forums.
I have a acer computer with windows 7 ultimate 64bits and a laptop with windows 8 pro 64 bits. and these two computers gain access to internet from a (LAN+wifi) modem which is provided by our isp.
acer computer connect with internet through LAN. and laptop connects with wifi. I better draw a sketch..
look at that, this is my setup.

Name:  sharing.gif
Views: 38
Size:  16.1 KB

I want both pc's every drive share with each other. so tell me how do I do that.? please guide me in simple steps.
sorry for my English.
oh I remember just before posting this. these 2 pc almost had same name. with a little difference:
acer (win 7) pc name
MyComputer-PC
dell laptop (win 8) pc name
MyComputer
and laptop with windows 8 is password protected whether acer pc is not.
I even could see 2nd computer name in 1st one's network places. so simply I share 2nd pc drive and tried to open it in first computer network place but this thing appears all the time.
trying to open acer (win 7) shared drive in laptop (win 8)

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  41.0 KB




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Oct 2013   #2

x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Oct 2013   #3

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 

I know lots of help on the internet. but I want specific replies on my setting. I mean as I describe one of my pc connects with router via wireless and one with LAN.
also I m not very familiar with networking, so I need answer here. If anyone want to help me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


26 Oct 2013   #4

x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Fair enough... It looks as though you have a network configured and you're asking why the login dialog refuses to accept your login and password across the network.

Are the logins and passwords the same on both machines?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Microsoft
Troubleshoot file and printer sharing
Password protected sharing is enabled.

Password protected sharing is on by default for computers on workgroups. When password protected sharing is enabled, people using other computers on your network can't access your shared folders or printers unless they have a user account on your computer. There are two ways to enable file or printer sharing:
  • Create identical user accounts on all computers on the workgroup (recommended). For more information, see Create a user account.
  • Turn off password protected sharing. To turn off password protected sharing, follow these steps:
  1. Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.
  2. Under Sharing and Discovery, click the arrow button next to Password protected sharing.
  3. Click Turn off password protected sharing, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Another good tutorial on Home Groups: HomeGroup from start to finish - Microsoft Windows Help [disregard the Silverlight prompt on the pages]
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #5

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 

thanks. with this reply I atleast can see the shared drive of win 7 computer on win 8 computer's network place. but still can't open it.
"I" drive is shared win 7 computer drive and when I tried to open it (in win 8 computer) an error appears. look at that:

How to connect 2 pc with router.-pc.jpg

and this is my win 7 and win 8 Advance sharing setting:

Windows 7
How to connect 2 pc with router.-network-win7.jpg
win8
How to connect 2 pc with router.-network-win-8.jpg

the job is almost getting done, just a little help required. thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #6

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 

ps: windows 8 have log in password. and windows 7 is not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #7

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 

with the help of MS tutorial "homegroup start to finish" I able to open windows 8 shared drive in windows 7 computer.
but windows 7 pc drives still cant open in windows 8 pc.
facing the same error. "you do not have permission to access..........,,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IamLEGEND View Post
with the help of MS tutorial "homegroup start to finish" I able to open windows 8 shared drive in windows 7 computer.
but windows 7 pc drives still cant open in windows 8 pc.
facing the same error. "you do not have permission to access..........,,
For drive sharing follow the instructions in the link. It's best to share from the Users folder rather than the root of the drive which is a security risk.

You will also want to turn on Network Discovery in the Advanced Sharing settings on both PC's. I noticed that you have this turned off on the Windows 7 machine. Remember that with Windows 8 there are a few places you need to check this setting.

HDD sharing
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #9

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Fair enough... It looks as though you have a network configured and you're asking why the login dialog refuses to accept your login and password across the network.

Are the logins and passwords the same on both machines?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Microsoft
Troubleshoot file and printer sharing
Password protected sharing is enabled.

Password protected sharing is on by default for computers on workgroups. When password protected sharing is enabled, people using other computers on your network can't access your shared folders or printers unless they have a user account on your computer. There are two ways to enable file or printer sharing:
  • Create identical user accounts on all computers on the workgroup (recommended). For more information, see Create a user account.
  • Turn off password protected sharing. To turn off password protected sharing, follow these steps:
  1. Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking Network and Internet, and then clicking Network and Sharing Center.
  2. Under Sharing and Discovery, click the arrow button next to Password protected sharing.
  3. Click Turn off password protected sharing, and then click Apply. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
Another good tutorial on Home Groups: HomeGroup from start to finish - Microsoft Windows Help [disregard the Silverlight prompt on the pages]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by IamLEGEND View Post
with the help of MS tutorial "homegroup start to finish" I able to open windows 8 shared drive in windows 7 computer.
but windows 7 pc drives still cant open in windows 8 pc.
facing the same error. "you do not have permission to access..........,,
For drive sharing follow the instructions in the link. It's best to share from the Users folder rather than the root of the drive which is a security risk.

You will also want to turn on Network Discovery in the Advanced Sharing settings on both PC's. I noticed that you have this turned off on the Windows 7 machine. Remember that with Windows 8 there are a few places you need to check this setting.

HDD sharing
thank you both for your precious replies. My problem is solved. after network discovery is turning on in windows 7 pc and other setting. problem is still not solved. so then I restart windows 8 pc (and you better know that there is huge different between restart and shutdown in windows 8) and both pc hard drive (which I shared) is accessible on both machines.
for curiosity i wanted to know 2 things.
1. why we do not directly share specified drive.? what security risk.? and why you insisting on sharing only users folder.? do we access all hard drive when users folder shared.?
2. sometimes I cant access windows 7 shared drive in win 8 pc. even sometimes the windows 7 machine (user name) which I can see in windows 8 pc cant open. why is this.? is this because windows 8 machine connected with router via wifi.??
(windows 7 pc connected with router with LAN wire, and windows 8 laptop connected with router via wifi)
this error appears.

How to connect 2 pc with router.-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #10

Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
 
 

what is this mystery..?? I done nothing but uncheck and then check again on sharing in each drive and now these can open..? (windows 7 machines drive in windows 8)
How to connect 2 pc with router.-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to connect 2 pc with router.





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: How to connect 2 pc with router.
Thread Forum
Solved Can connect without a router; cant with Network & Sharing
CAN connect to internet, CAN'T connect to router Network & Sharing
I cannot connect to my ROUTER but i can connect to internet. Network & Sharing
Can't Connect to Router Network & Sharing
can't connect to router Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33