Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network


25 Oct 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network

Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network\router,

I have multiple machines connected by switch\router. What I want is to let the system ask any user for the “network password” when wanting to access any machine via the network (attached). This message (Enter network passwords) sometimes is available and others is not. how to make it appear all the time?

At which level this property is set?

1. At the level of sharing\security of a folder?
2. At level of network sharing?



How to manage this issue? To share a partition\folder but to allow accessing it with user name and password?



Thank you

Best

Jamal

Best

Jamal




Attached Thumbnails
Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_51.jpg   Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_58.jpg   Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_59.jpg   Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_60.jpg   Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_61.jpg  

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Oct 2013   #2

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

The problem is that Windows remembers these user names and passwords unless you tell Windows not to remember them.

I haven't tested out this Security Policy yet but it does tell Windows not to not allow storage of passwords and credentials so it may have the desired effect you seem to be looking for.

Just go to Control Panel, > Administrative tools,> Local Policies,> Security Options,>Network Access, Do not allow Storage of Passwords and Credentials per the picture below. Enabled should restrict Storage of Credentials.


Attached Thumbnails
Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-do-not-store-passwords-local-security-policy.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Nov 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The problem is that Windows remembers these user names and passwords unless you tell Windows not to remember them.

I haven't tested out this Security Policy yet but it does tell Windows not to not allow storage of passwords and credentials so it may have the desired effect you seem to be looking for.

Just go to Control Panel, > Administrative tools,> Local Policies,> Security Options,>Network Access, Do not allow Storage of Passwords and Credentials per the picture below. Enabled should restrict Storage of Credentials.
Many thanks chev65 for the help,

The “don’t allow storage of password….” is enabled in the windows of “jamal-sony” machine, nevertheless, this machine can be accessed from “jamal-hp” without the need to provide the user name and password


What might be the issue here?


Attached Thumbnails
Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_153.jpg   Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_154.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


03 Nov 2013   #4

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Try going into the Control Panel then to Credential Manger, remove the credentials for the machine that you require to sign in.

I believe if the credentials are already stored then the setting I showed you won't help until the credentials are removed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Try going into the Control Panel then to Credential Manger, remove the credentials for the machine that you require to sign in.

I believe if the credentials are already stored then the setting I showed you won't help until the credentials are removed.

Many thanks chev65 for the prompt help,

I tried it, but sounds other machines are accessing mine without asking for permissions


What other ideas can be considered?


Attached Thumbnails
Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_158.jpg   Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_159.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2013   #6

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This password protected sharing never seems to work right but those are the best options I can find.

I'm sure you checked that password protected sharing is turned on for all Networks in the Advanced Sharing settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
This password protected sharing never seems to work right but those are the best options I can find.

I'm sure you checked that password protected sharing is turned on for all Networks in the Advanced Sharing settings.

Very much appreciated.

“Turn on password protected sharing” is checked, nevertheless, others can access my machines with no username\password

Best

Jamal


Attached Thumbnails
Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network-clip_160.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2013   #8

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

I would think that removing the credentials for each client would force them to type in the credentials each time because the Local Security Policy should prevent your machine from saving those credentials. Not sure as I've not tested this out myself

There are other ways to keep clients from accessing shares by setting up a Homegroup then keeping the restricted access clients from joining the Homegroup. I can give more details on this if you want to go that route.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Nov 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I would think that removing the credentials for each client would force them to type in the credentials each time because the Local Security Policy should prevent your machine from saving those credentials. Not sure as I've not tested this out myself

There are other ways to keep clients from accessing shares by setting up a Homegroup then keeping the restricted access clients from joining the Homegroup. I can give more details on this if you want to go that route.

Thank you chev65 for the help.

But how come that the “Turn on password protected sharing” is checked while other users still can access the machine

Best

Jamal
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2013   #10

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jamal NUMAN View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I would think that removing the credentials for each client would force them to type in the credentials each time because the Local Security Policy should prevent your machine from saving those credentials. Not sure as I've not tested this out myself

There are other ways to keep clients from accessing shares by setting up a Homegroup then keeping the restricted access clients from joining the Homegroup. I can give more details on this if you want to go that route.

Thank you chev65 for the help.

But how come that the “Turn on password protected sharing” is checked while other users still can access the machine

Best

Jamal
Did you try removing the saved credentials from the Credential Manager in the Control Panel?

I believe the Local Security Policy does work to keep Windows from saving credentials but if they are already saved then it may be required to remove them manually.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Requiring user name\password when accessing a machine over the network
Thread Forum
Issue with Win 7 Home 64 machine not requiring password after sleep mo General Discussion
How to warn against shutting down pc if network user accessing ext HD? Network & Sharing
Accessing wireless network from XP virtual machine Network & Sharing
Accessing old XP Pro machine on simple network Network & Sharing
Password questions about accessing other Win7 PC's over a home network Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33