Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Very Slow Startup When NOT Connected To Work Domain

03 Nov 2013   #1
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Very Slow Startup When NOT Connected To Work Domain

hi there

i have a Dell laptop and at work we have all machines with a "domain" setup with 3 network drives mapped as well.

Everything works pretty well at work when we are on the domain environment or on the work wifi but i noticed that if i am at home or on another network it takes forever for the win7 startup and also IE10 seems to load very slowly from time to time when i open it.

I have searched a bit and this seems to be a common problem when a domain PC cannot find the DC, so is there a way to fix this? Or to lower the timeout or something?

I have already installed 2 patches from Microsoft recently but it didn't help, in particular ive installed :

You experience a long domain logon time in Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 after you deploy Group Policy preferences to the computer

Long startup or logon time when no domain controllers are available on a Windows 7-based or Windows Server 2008 R2-based domain member computer

Thanks
Gab


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Nov 2013   #2
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Forgot to say OS is 7 Professional
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2013   #3
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

What is a DC??
when a domain PC cannot find the DC
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Nov 2013   #4
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
What is a DC??
when a domain PC cannot find the DC
Domain Controller
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2013   #5
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

anyone guys??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Nov 2013   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

It may help to set up the Doman Controller as your preferred DNS server in connection properties.

I'm not sure if you've seen this particular hotfix but it's not in the links you posted earlier.
Unexpectedly slow startup or logon process in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

This link might also be helpful.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepla...ble-today.aspx

This one seems relevant as well.
http://masscomputerservices.wordpress.com/tag/domain/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2013   #7
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

thanks, trying today
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2013   #8
gabriolinari

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
It may help to set up the Doman Controller as your preferred DNS server in connection properties.

I'm not sure if you've seen this particular hotfix but it's not in the links you posted earlier.
Unexpectedly slow startup or logon process in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

This link might also be helpful.
Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Available Today! - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

This one seems relevant as well.
Domain | Computer Help
thanks mate, i just installed the hotfix + technet fix and seems better, tried to restart without any cable connected and it was 41 seconds wait (just stopwatch'ed) and before that was 2-3 minutes!

when is on the cable w/ domain it takes 14 seconds instead... just for the sake of statistics...

Gab
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2013   #9
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gabriolinari View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
It may help to set up the Doman Controller as your preferred DNS server in connection properties.

I'm not sure if you've seen this particular hotfix but it's not in the links you posted earlier.
Unexpectedly slow startup or logon process in Windows Server 2008 R2 or in Windows 7

This link might also be helpful.
Slow Boot Slow Login (SBSL) Hotfix Rollup for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 Available Today! - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

This one seems relevant as well.
Domain | Computer Help
thanks mate, i just installed the hotfix + technet fix and seems better, tried to restart without any cable connected and it was 41 seconds wait (just stopwatch'ed) and before that was 2-3 minutes!

when is on the cable w/ domain it takes 14 seconds instead... just for the sake of statistics...

Gab
That does sound faster, so many hot fixes for similar problems it was difficult to find the right one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Very Slow Startup When NOT Connected To Work Domain




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Slow login to desktop using cached credentials off domain
Running Windows 7 64 bit with SSHD. When logging into the laptop with cached credentials and not on the domain, log in times are around 2-4 mintues. We are not using roaming profiles. I've made several changes to the group policies and nothing has fixed the login time. Ran Xperf and the majority of...
Performance & Maintenance
Joining Work Domain
I want to join my office domain from my home PC so I can access those network drives and be part of the office network. Is that possible even from home? And if so, which path do I follow to connect? Thanks
Network & Sharing
How can i set up a new admin if i'm not connected to my domain??
Hi guys, I am very new to this and I may not even have worded my problem correctly but I'll tell you what it is and if anyone can solve it I would be very grateful because I am at the limit of my windows knowledge here. I am needing to set up a new administrator on my laptop, running Windows...
Network & Sharing
User accounts and security in a work domain
I recently got my personal laptop connected to my work domain. I don't have much experience with the domain environment & wanted to find out some more info about it. My local user account has admin privileges and since joining the domain it has now become "Sophos administrator" and has lost the...
Network & Sharing
Multiple Logon Icons in a Domain connected Windows 7
Hi, I have a Windows Server 2008 Native Domain to which all my Windows 7 Ultimate (32 and 64bits) machines are connected. On the Win 7 machines, when we press CTRL+ALT+DEL, we have a large icon representing the last person who logged on. But some of these machines are shared among 3 users and...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App