Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem with DNS errors with laptop's wifi and unstable connection

12 Nov 2013   #1
wws

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Problem with DNS errors with laptop's wifi and unstable connection

Hello.

First time poster here, thanks for having this great forum!

Anyway my problem is, since Friday of last week, I have been having connection problems with my laptop. The wifi card will not hold a connection to the router and shows the yellow triangle constantly. In the Event Viewer there are errors saying "Name resolution for website x timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." The laptop will also not respond to local pings from other computers on the network.

Few of the things I have tried to fix this.
1. Did a complete virus scan with avast 2014. Nothing was found.
2. Tried flushing the DNS cache, along with releasing and renewing my IP address.
3. Reset the TCP/IP stack.
4. Disabled all network adapters except my wifi card, including the "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter"

If someone could help, that would be great, because i really need my network connection back ASAP. (Finals and such soon!)

Thanks,
wws


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Nov 2013   #2
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Hello.

First time poster here, thanks for having this great forum!

Anyway my problem is, since Friday of last week, I have been having connection problems with my laptop. The wifi card will not hold a connection to the router and shows the yellow triangle constantly. In the Event Viewer there are errors saying "Name resolution for website x timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." The laptop will also not respond to local pings from other computers on the network.

Few of the things I have tried to fix this.
1. Did a complete virus scan with avast 2014. Nothing was found.
2. Tried flushing the DNS cache, along with releasing and renewing my IP address.
3. Reset the TCP/IP stack.
4. Disabled all network adapters except my wifi card, including the "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter"

If someone could help, that would be great, because i really need my network connection back ASAP. (Finals and such soon!)

Thanks,
wws
Well you actually did most of things that I would have done.

I should ask have you tried resetting the router?

Can you post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #3
wws

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Hello.

First time poster here, thanks for having this great forum!

Anyway my problem is, since Friday of last week, I have been having connection problems with my laptop. The wifi card will not hold a connection to the router and shows the yellow triangle constantly. In the Event Viewer there are errors saying "Name resolution for website x timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded." The laptop will also not respond to local pings from other computers on the network.

Few of the things I have tried to fix this.
1. Did a complete virus scan with avast 2014. Nothing was found.
2. Tried flushing the DNS cache, along with releasing and renewing my IP address.
3. Reset the TCP/IP stack.
4. Disabled all network adapters except my wifi card, including the "Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter"

If someone could help, that would be great, because i really need my network connection back ASAP. (Finals and such soon!)

Thanks,
wws
Well you actually did most of things that I would have done.

I should ask have you tried resetting the router?

Can you post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine?
Hey, thanks for the quick response. Yes I have tried restarting the router several times. I should have mentioned that my laptop is the only one experiencing these connectivity issues; all other devices on the network haven't been affected. Here is a screenshot of the ipconfig /all as you requested.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Nov 2013   #4
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

This looks good.

Have you tried disabling Avast or working with the firewall settings in Avast for wireless connections, there may be a ndis type filter turn on.

This could also be a channel crossover problem with the intermittent connection.

In order check for this problem please install the inSSIDer software which is very small and can show us a picture of the wireless landscape in your area. Posting a screen shot of inSSIDer would be very helpful.

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #5
wws

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
This looks good.

Have you tried disabling Avast or working with the firewall settings in Avast for wireless connections, there may be a ndis type filter turn on.

This could also be a channel crossover problem with the intermittent connection.

In order check for this problem please install the inSSIDer software which is very small and can show us a picture of the wireless landscape in your area. Posting a screen shot of inSSIDer would be very helpful.

inSSIDer for Home ? Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek
I will install that. However, I have a desktop compuer right next to my laptop, and it connects to my network just fine. (It's what I am using to type this) Right now Windows says there are five other networks near my laptop, one being "Other Network". Don't know if that is odd or not. I have tried disabling avast's File System Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield, but that did not make any difference. I have the free version of avast, so I don't believe it includes a firewall.

It's displayed the yellow triangle steadily for the past few hours now

Thanks,
wws
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
This looks good.

Have you tried disabling Avast or working with the firewall settings in Avast for wireless connections, there may be a ndis type filter turn on.

This could also be a channel crossover problem with the intermittent connection.

In order check for this problem please install the inSSIDer software which is very small and can show us a picture of the wireless landscape in your area. Posting a screen shot of inSSIDer would be very helpful.

inSSIDer for Home ? Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek
I will install that. However, I have a desktop compuer right next to my laptop, and it connects to my network just fine. (It's what I am using to type this) Right now Windows says there are five other networks near my laptop, one being "Other Network". Don't know if that is odd or not. I have tried disabling avast's File System Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield, but that did not make any difference. I have the free version of avast, so I don't believe it includes a firewall.

It's displayed the yellow triangle steadily for the past few hours now

Thanks,
wws
inSSIDer shows me quite a bit more information that just signal strength so should be helpful.

Just to fix any problems with the network stack, try running the IPReset file in the link, this will fix any problems related to the network stack and flush the DNS then will reboot the machine. I realize you tried this but this file may work better than just one at a time commands.


Attached Files
File Type: zip IPResetALL.zip (33.6 KB, 48 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #7
wws

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
This looks good.

Have you tried disabling Avast or working with the firewall settings in Avast for wireless connections, there may be a ndis type filter turn on.

This could also be a channel crossover problem with the intermittent connection.

In order check for this problem please install the inSSIDer software which is very small and can show us a picture of the wireless landscape in your area. Posting a screen shot of inSSIDer would be very helpful.

inSSIDer for Home ? Discover The Wi-Fi Around You | MetaGeek
I will install that. However, I have a desktop compuer right next to my laptop, and it connects to my network just fine. (It's what I am using to type this) Right now Windows says there are five other networks near my laptop, one being "Other Network". Don't know if that is odd or not. I have tried disabling avast's File System Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield, but that did not make any difference. I have the free version of avast, so I don't believe it includes a firewall.

It's displayed the yellow triangle steadily for the past few hours now

Thanks,
wws
inSSIDer shows me quite a bit more information that just signal strength so should be helpful.

Just to fix any problems with the network stack, try running the IPReset file in the link, this will fix any problems related to the network stack and flush the DNS then will reboot the machine. I realize you tried this but this file may work better than just one at a time commands.
I downloaded inSSIDer for Home off their website and ran your file. I did not run it as administrator, should I have? It seems to have not fixed the issue unfortunately
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #8
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post

I will install that. However, I have a desktop compuer right next to my laptop, and it connects to my network just fine. (It's what I am using to type this) Right now Windows says there are five other networks near my laptop, one being "Other Network". Don't know if that is odd or not. I have tried disabling avast's File System Shield, Web Shield, and Mail Shield, but that did not make any difference. I have the free version of avast, so I don't believe it includes a firewall.

It's displayed the yellow triangle steadily for the past few hours now

Thanks,
wws
inSSIDer shows me quite a bit more information that just signal strength so should be helpful.

Just to fix any problems with the network stack, try running the IPReset file in the link, this will fix any problems related to the network stack and flush the DNS then will reboot the machine. I realize you tried this but this file may work better than just one at a time commands.
I downloaded inSSIDer for Home off their website and ran your file. I did not run it as administrator, should I have? It seems to have not fixed the issue unfortunately
Very good.

If you can post the inSSIDer page then run a simple system file scan it may tell us more.

Run the following command in an elevated command prompt, might take a little while to check the system files. Let me know what the scan says.

Code:
sfc /scannow
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #9
wws

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post

inSSIDer shows me quite a bit more information that just signal strength so should be helpful.

Just to fix any problems with the network stack, try running the IPReset file in the link, this will fix any problems related to the network stack and flush the DNS then will reboot the machine. I realize you tried this but this file may work better than just one at a time commands.
I downloaded inSSIDer for Home off their website and ran your file. I did not run it as administrator, should I have? It seems to have not fixed the issue unfortunately
Very good.

If you can post the inSSIDer page then run a simple system file scan it may tell us more.

Run the following command in an elevated command prompt, might take a little while to check the system files. Let me know what the scan says.

Code:
sfc /scannow
Here's the inSSIDer report. The "thefamily" network is my network. The sfc /scannow command came back with no problems.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Nov 2013   #10
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wws View Post

I downloaded inSSIDer for Home off their website and ran your file. I did not run it as administrator, should I have? It seems to have not fixed the issue unfortunately
Very good.

If you can post the inSSIDer page then run a simple system file scan it may tell us more.

Run the following command in an elevated command prompt, might take a little while to check the system files. Let me know what the scan says.

Code:
sfc /scannow
Here's the inSSIDer report. The "thefamily" network is my network. The sfc /scannow command came back with no problems.

I'm really not seeing any problems here and the neighbors all have weak signals so overlap isn't a problem although changing the router to channel 1 may help.

Updating the drivers from the manufacture's site or visiting the Windows Update Center might be worth while.

Besides that Avast may create problems with network connections but it's hard to nail down the cause without uninstalling.

Starting in safe mode with networking may help nail down the problem to something installed on the system.

Safe Mode
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem with DNS errors with laptop's wifi and unstable connection




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
No internet connection after I turned my laptop into wifi hotspot
Good day, Due to my coming posting to a place without a wifi connection for my tablet, I decided to turn my laptop into a wifi hotspot. I googled and found this post: How to turn your Windows 7 laptop into a wireless hotspot | News | TechRadar I thought, "Hey, that's cool". So I did...
Network & Sharing
Wifi Worked But No Internet Connection on My Laptop
Hello, I would like to ask for help as I have this problem with my Wifi. I'm using a home router. And only my laptop that affected with the problem. All the other user in my house don't have this problem. And It was happened recently on 2nd of November 2013 all the sudden. I could connect to this...
Network & Sharing
connection to wifi router from laptop intermittent
I have a desktop and a laptop, both Windows 7 Home 64 bit, using Internet Explorer 11. The desktop is Ethernet connection, the laptop is wifi, the DSL router is wifi provided by AT&t. I really don't recall seeing the problem with the desktop, and I get it a lot with the laptop. But I don't use the...
Network & Sharing
internet connection not shared by my laptop turned wifi hotspot
Hi... I've set up my internet-connected laptop (Acer Aspire One with Windows 7 Starter) as wifi hotspot. The hotspot works to the extent that it lets another computer connect, but it does not provide (pass through) the internet access I have (via 3G USB modem). While searching the net for...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 laptop WiFi connection issues
I've run into a really annoying issue with my Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. It uses the Realtek 8192E wireless NIC. I recently (in January) ditched my WRT610N router for a Netgear WNDR3700. The WRT610N got hit by a surge in December, and started losing its settings every few days, and...
Network & Sharing
Problem connection between laptop and pc via wifi. HELP
Let's start it fast okay? I own a laptop and a desktop. And, I wanted to share connection between them via wifi. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx This guide works on me. But I encounter a problem while connecting to the host (My desktop) It's...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:40.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App