Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Docsis 2.0 vs 3.0 speed difference.

21 Dec 2013   #1
mystery250

Windows 7 64
 
 
Docsis 2.0 vs 3.0 speed difference.

I have Comcast Blast! which claims to be 50mpbs. I never get that.

My current modem is a Linksys CM100 (docsis 2.0)

My current router is: tplink tl-wr740N

I connect straight from an ethernet port, myself.

Would upgrading to a Docsis 3.0 modem make my internet speed faster? I currently have issues getting any streaming services to show in HD. There are also three computer in the household, the other two use wireless.

Insight appreciated.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Dec 2013   #2
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I also have Blast and regularly get 52-56Mbs speeds, I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem though, Motorola Surfboard SB6121. I don't know if it effects speed or not but a tech said it has something to do with channel binding to have a more stable connection. Too techy for me but I'd suggest you upgrade to the 3.0 version.

I had the same Linksys modem prior and after switching my DL speed nearly doubled from about 12Mbs to over 20Mbs on two PCs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #3
mystery250

Windows 7 64
 
 

Here's my speedtest results from a state away..

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Dec 2013   #4
mystery250

Windows 7 64
 
 

From several states away

My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #5
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mystery250 View Post
I have Comcast Blast! which claims to be 50mpbs. I never get that.

My current modem is a Linksys CM100 (docsis 2.0)

My current router is: tplink tl-wr740N

I connect straight from an ethernet port, myself.

Would upgrading to a Docsis 3.0 modem make my internet speed faster? I currently have issues getting any streaming services to show in HD. There are also three computer in the household, the other two use wireless.

Insight appreciated.
You would only theoratically get a possibly 50mbps if you have a docsis 3.0 modem and you subscribe to and pay for the top speed offered by the isp. That doesnt necessairily guarantee you will get 50mbps though. There are some variables. For example; the more people that are on at the same time as you are in your area running cable as oppsed to dsl; well that will slow down the connection. As for the 3 computers; the ones running wireless are probably going to have lower speeds because a lot of times wireless cant come close to the speeds when a system is connected via ethernet cable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Dec 2013   #6
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Here's my results today, first time it's been below 50Mbs since we got Blast.
Closest server:


An ocean away, very extreme difference between up and down speeds.



This is from a wired connection, the other PC is wireless and has the same result.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #7
mystery250

Windows 7 64
 
 

Would I also need to upgrade my wireless router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #8
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mystery250 View Post
Would I also need to upgrade my wireless router?
Not necessarly; try first seeing if there is updated firmware for your current router that may improve the speeds of the connection to the router. If not; then depending on how old your current router is; yes, you may want to consider upgrading the current router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #9
mystery250

Windows 7 64
 
 

Debating on getting either the motorola 6121 or motorola 6141 - would it be worth it to get the newer 6141 over the 21?

Right now, I'm directly connected via ethernet (connected from the modem to the router via ethernet cable and then from the router to me via ethernet). Speed doesn't seem to bother the others in the household as much as it does me, but I get tired of having stuff buffering every two seconds, especially Netflix.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mystery250 View Post
Would I also need to upgrade my wireless router?
Not necessarly; try first seeing if there is updated firmware for your current router that may improve the speeds of the connection to the router. If not; then depending on how old your current router is; yes, you may want to consider upgrading the current router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Dec 2013   #10
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mystery250 View Post
Debating on getting either the motorola 6121 or motorola 6141 - would it be worth it to get the newer 6141 over the 21?

Right now, I'm directly connected via ethernet (connected from the modem to the router via ethernet cable and then from the router to me via ethernet). Speed doesn't seem to bother the others in the household as much as it does me, but I get tired of having stuff buffering every two seconds, especially Netflix.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mystery250 View Post
Would I also need to upgrade my wireless router?
Not necessarly; try first seeing if there is updated firmware for your current router that may improve the speeds of the connection to the router. If not; then depending on how old your current router is; yes, you may want to consider upgrading the current router.
I would say yes it sounds like you could use at the very least a dual-band router from your preferred manufacturer. A dual band router will definitely have more speed capability and i believe will also have more overall throughput speed; meaning it will just have a better connection overall. However, to get the best connection possible; when upgrading you want a router also that has gigabit ethernet which generally helps for faster speeds when connecting via router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Docsis 2.0 vs 3.0 speed difference.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Difference of internet speed on LAN and Wi-Fi
Hello guys. I just bought a router (ipTIME N604R plus). Here are the specs: http://imgbox.com/8gCnYYbZhttp://i.imgbox.com/8gCnYYbZ.jpg I'm just curious why there's a big difference between my speed on LAN and on Wi-Fi. I know there's a disparity but I just think it is too big? Or this...
Network & Sharing
Will extra 4gb of ram show much of a difference in speed
Hi guys, running w-7 500gb hdd 4gb ram. By looking at the shot of performance in the windows task manager, computer is running ok but of course not as fast as when new because of the added files. Will adding another 4gb of memory show any real difference. thanks Gary
General Discussion
difference between the download speed and internet speed?
hi! i just wanna ask between the difference of the download speed and the internet speed. because i have a 1.5mb connection i tried at speedtest and when i download i always get a 190-200kbps rate. so its not actually 1.5mb in my download speed even my internet speed is 1.5mbps. is there and...
Network & Sharing
Big difference in Internet Speed.
I have just upgraded to OPTUS 100Mbps Docsis3 cable. Modem is Cisco DPQ3212c,Router TP-Link WR1034ND. Desktop I get 95Mbps Download with a Gigabit Nic. Laptop I get 26Mbps Download with a 10/100 Nic. (Wired connection) Would I get better results with the Laptop if I Used a USB Gigabit Nic or a...
Network & Sharing
Speed difference going from AHCI to IDE
I had some reason for moving from Sata mode AHCI to IDE (Reason in this thread) Most material I read didn't have any compelling speed disadvantage so I did some informal speed tests. Results for those interested (This not an SSD): CrystalDiskMark speed tests don't show any significant difference....
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7/DOCSIS 3/Linksys WMP300N
Hi all! First, thanks to all the posts here, I was able to install Windows 7 with hardly any issues. The internal wireless gave me a problem for a bit until I saw a link to a driver on these forums. Well I have recently upgraded my internet connection here at work to the 50/10 business service...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App