Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Internet Connection drops every 30 exact minutes

08 Jan 2014   #1
Ajcard

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (86x)
 
 
Internet Connection drops every 30 exact minutes

Hey guys!

So over the course of a month, I've had this problem with my internet connection. At certain times of the day, it would just cut off. Normally, from the moment I would turn on my computer to the moment the internet cuts off, it would be about a straight 4 hours that the internet is on. The thing is, this isn't a router problem since everyone else in the home with windows 7/8 is not experiencing this.

I've dug into this to find out that my Wireless Connection Lease would expire at certain times of the day, cutting of my internet. It shows the time it would cut off when I go to "Connect to a Wireless Network", right click my Wifi Name, click on Status and click on Details. Right now as I post this, this is what it's showing:

It would also say for my IPv6 Connectivity "No Internet Access" and for my IPv4 Connectivity "Internet" whenever my internet cuts off.

It would normally be 4 hours, but now it's going to 30 minutes. Instead of 1 hour like it's showing there, it cuts off at 30 minutes. When it cuts off, it says "No Network Access" and gives me a yellow triangle with an "!" next to the Internet Symbol on my taskbar. And it's weird, I've tried going to Adapter Settings and disabling the Wifi Card and enabling it but it always gets stuck on "Enabling" which makes me have to restart my computer in order to keep getting internet.

I really don't know what to do now. I also think that it could also be my power plan. When I put the computer to sleep by clicking the "Sleep" button, it would actually shut down the computer and this started happening the same time my internet would start cutting off. Please help!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jan 2014   #2
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Is your connection only a wireless one or ethernet? If its wireless, i would check to make sure the wireless adapter settings in the control panel are ok. On the other side of things; you could try doing a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew at a elevated command prompt and see if that might resolve the issue you are having. Also, can you go into event viewer and copy and post and logs that have any possible related errors; then we can go from there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2014   #3
Sardonicus

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Have you tried resetting the router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jan 2014   #4
Ajcard

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (86x)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Is your connection only a wireless one or ethernet? If its wireless, i would check to make sure the wireless adapter settings in the control panel are ok. On the other side of things; you could try doing a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew at a elevated command prompt and see if that might resolve the issue you are having. Also, can you go into event viewer and copy and post and logs that have any possible related errors; then we can go from there.
My Connection is Wireless. I just tried the command prompt technique and it WORKED! But however, it only gives me another 30 minutes.

For Event Viewer, it does seem helpful but I am lost as to how to obtain wireless-connection error related logs from it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
Have you tried resetting the router?
I have indeed, it is not the router that's the problem but a certain configuration of settings on my computer. I've looked on other similar problems and some say that the power plan could be shutting off the Wifi Card after a certain amount of time to save power which would make sense since I can't even put my computer to sleep due to a power-plan configuration mess up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2014   #5
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ajcard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Is your connection only a wireless one or ethernet? If its wireless, i would check to make sure the wireless adapter settings in the control panel are ok. On the other side of things; you could try doing a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew at a elevated command prompt and see if that might resolve the issue you are having. Also, can you go into event viewer and copy and post and logs that have any possible related errors; then we can go from there.
My Connection is Wireless. I just tried the command prompt technique and it WORKED! But however, it only gives me another 30 minutes.

For Event Viewer, it does seem helpful but I am lost as to how to obtain wireless-connection error related logs from it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
Have you tried resetting the router?
I have indeed, it is not the router that's the problem but a certain configuration of settings on my computer. I've looked on other similar problems and some say that the power plan could be shutting off the Wifi Card after a certain amount of time to save power which would make sense since I can't even put my computer to sleep due to a power-plan configuration mess up.
I believe that the power plan you have set is telling windows to turn off the connection ports after a period of inactivity which in your case appears to be 30 minutes. I would try adjusting some of the settings for your power plan and see if that resolves it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2014   #6
Ajcard

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (86x)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ajcard View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by matts6887 View Post
Is your connection only a wireless one or ethernet? If its wireless, i would check to make sure the wireless adapter settings in the control panel are ok. On the other side of things; you could try doing a ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew at a elevated command prompt and see if that might resolve the issue you are having. Also, can you go into event viewer and copy and post and logs that have any possible related errors; then we can go from there.
My Connection is Wireless. I just tried the command prompt technique and it WORKED! But however, it only gives me another 30 minutes.

For Event Viewer, it does seem helpful but I am lost as to how to obtain wireless-connection error related logs from it.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sardonicus View Post
Have you tried resetting the router?
I have indeed, it is not the router that's the problem but a certain configuration of settings on my computer. I've looked on other similar problems and some say that the power plan could be shutting off the Wifi Card after a certain amount of time to save power which would make sense since I can't even put my computer to sleep due to a power-plan configuration mess up.
I believe that the power plan you have set is telling windows to turn off the connection ports after a period of inactivity which in your case appears to be 30 minutes. I would try adjusting some of the settings for your power plan and see if that resolves it.
Its not a period of inactivity but a set time. I've tried adjusting my power plan settings but I dont know which are the correct ones and it would be a frenzy to experiment.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jan 2014   #7
matts6887

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Well you may have to play around with the settings as I don't know what your settings were before so I can't help figure out how to resolve it unfortunately. U might be able to search for this issue and see if there are others out there with the same issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Jan 2014   #8
Ajcard

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit (86x)
 
 

I've tried everything at this point. Now it won't even stay up for more than 5 minutes. I am the only person in the house to have this happened to. I know it has to do something with the wireless lease because normally when the "Lease End" time is reached, my Internet cuts off for good. Please someone help me, I've tried everything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Internet Connection drops every 30 exact minutes




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Internet connection drops every few minutes
Symptoms: - After few minutes (1, 5 sometimes 30) of well functioning internet, sites stop loading. - Wireless indicator icon in the tray shows as it's STILL CONNECTED and everything's fine. - Can't even load 192.168.1.1 in the browser. Workaround: - Reset adapter solves for a few minutes....
Network & Sharing
connection speed drops after minutes connected
I can connect to the internet and browse but after anywhere from a minute to ten minutes my connection speed drops or i get disconnected all together. I only have this problem at school in my dorm. It works fine on my wifi at home and in other buildings on campus. I know nothing is wrong with my...
Network & Sharing
Internet Drops out after USB Connection or Disconnection
Hello, I am using a NETGEAR WN111v2 wireless adapter, whenever i connect or disconnect something into a USB port eg. Ipod Touch. It drops out and I then have to reconnect the Wireless adapter. I don't recall this happening on Windows XP
Network & Sharing
My internet connection drops frequently
My connection goes to Off Line very frequently and I have to cancel it to get back online. Any thoughts as to what may be going on?
Network & Sharing
My internet connection drops and resumes after 10 sec
Hello! I currently have a wired Broadband connection(PPoe connection) which drops at irregular intervals and resumes after 10 or so .. seconds I tried various "solutions" including registry modifications, commands in command prompt and so on , but with no result. - Happened on Vista and Now on...
Network & Sharing
My computer drops the internet connection...
I've been having this problem since I bought this new computer a few weeks ago. It's a HP desktop, the model number is s5229uk and it's Windows 7 Home Premium. At random times when I'm browsing the internet, sometimes it can be every 10/15 minutes, sometimes just a few times a day it will stop...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App