Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop downloads slow when not plugged in


30 Mar 2014   #1

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 
Laptop downloads slow when not plugged in

My brand new laptop downloads slow when I unplug it and run on battery power, and then it stays slow even if I plug it back in.

When I plug in and reboot my brand new laptop, and run speedtest.net, I consistently get numbers in the 17 Mbps range. When I unplug it and run on battery power, I consistently get numbers in the 0.6 Mbps range. The upload speed doesn't change whether on battery or plugged in.

Even stranger, when I plug the laptop back in, then run speedtest, I continue to get download numbers in the 0.6 Mbps range. If I put the system to sleep or hibernate, wake it, and run speedtest, the speed remains in the 0.6 Mbps range.

This was a recently purchased floor model Lenovo E545 running Windows 7 Pro (x64).

I looked in the Control Panel - Power Settings and notice that there are two plans: Energy Saver and Power Saver (what's the difference between saving energy and saving power?).

In the Power Options Advanced Settings, there is a setting for Wireless Adapter Settings. I changed it to Maximum Performance when on battery. But still I'm getting 0.6 Mbps download.

Why is my download speed so slow after I unplug the system? How do I fix it?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 Mar 2014   #2

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

You might have to dig down in the settings but there is usually one that says High Performance. If so, set it as default power plan and reboot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Apr 2014   #3

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by StupidUser View Post
My brand new laptop downloads slow when I unplug it and run on battery power, and then it stays slow even if I plug it back in.

When I plug in and reboot my brand new laptop, and run speedtest.net, I consistently get numbers in the 17 Mbps range. When I unplug it and run on battery power, I consistently get numbers in the 0.6 Mbps range. The upload speed doesn't change whether on battery or plugged in.

Even stranger, when I plug the laptop back in, then run speedtest, I continue to get download numbers in the 0.6 Mbps range. If I put the system to sleep or hibernate, wake it, and run speedtest, the speed remains in the 0.6 Mbps range.

This was a recently purchased floor model Lenovo E545 running Windows 7 Pro (x64).

I looked in the Control Panel - Power Settings and notice that there are two plans: Energy Saver and Power Saver (what's the difference between saving energy and saving power?).

In the Power Options Advanced Settings, there is a setting for Wireless Adapter Settings. I changed it to Maximum Performance when on battery. But still I'm getting 0.6 Mbps download.

Why is my download speed so slow after I unplug the system? How do I fix it?
Since this is a new system you will need to visit the Windows Update Center so you can download all the updates for your new system.

Most problems such as you are describing will be fixed after updating the system which can take quite a few reboots and a considerable amount of time to download all the updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


01 Apr 2014   #4

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
You might have to dig down in the settings but there is usually one that says High Performance. If so, set it as default power plan and reboot.
I will look again when I get home tonight. The first time I only saw the one suspicious setting that I wrote about (Wireless Adapter Settings) in the OP.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Since this is a new system you will need to visit the Windows Update Center so you can download all the updates for your new system.

Most problems such as you are describing will be fixed after updating the system which can take quite a few reboots and a considerable amount of time to download all the updates.
I have done that already. You're right, it did took me about 2 days - or maybe 3.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2014   #5

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7600 Multiprocessor Free
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
You might have to dig down in the settings but there is usually one that says High Performance. If so, set it as default power plan and reboot.
I dug down as far as I could find. There are no settings other than Wireless Adapter Settings, which is set to Maximize Performance.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2014   #6

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Sometimes you have to create a new profile. I would suggest joining the forum specific to the manufacturer. Most of them have them. Often you find things only long time users of a particular make know. For example there was an Easter Egg on HP desktops that opened BIOS settings to adjust fan speeds. The page was not documented. That kind of stuff.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Apr 2014   #7

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by StupidUser View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
You might have to dig down in the settings but there is usually one that says High Performance. If so, set it as default power plan and reboot.
I will look again when I get home tonight. The first time I only saw the one suspicious setting that I wrote about (Wireless Adapter Settings) in the OP.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Since this is a new system you will need to visit the Windows Update Center so you can download all the updates for your new system.

Most problems such as you are describing will be fixed after updating the system which can take quite a few reboots and a considerable amount of time to download all the updates.
I have done that already. You're right, it did took me about 2 days - or maybe 3.
Yes looking through the Lenovo site there are recently updated wireless drivers and also power management drivers that may have the desired effect. This isn't a Windows problem, It's a Lenovo driver problem as Miles suggested.

Drivers and software - ThinkPad Edge E525
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop downloads slow when not plugged in




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Laptop downloads slow when not plugged in
Thread Forum
I plugged out my PC as it was shutting down. Now it is painfully slow. Performance & Maintenance
vaio laptop slow downloads speeds Network & Sharing
Slow downloads Network & Sharing
Slow Downloads General Discussion
Slow downloads Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33