Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: Question: Domains in 7 and even Vista

30 Oct 2009   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Question: Domains in 7 and even Vista

Hello, I am at a place where we use a CFS domain but also login to this computer itself.
In XP, there was a drop down menu to choose between CFS and this local computer.
Is there a way to get this or something similar in Windows Vista and most importantly Windows 7?
Thanks in advance.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

in the username box use <computername>\<username>

You might be able to use just a backslash but not 100% sure
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Oct 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

Nope the backslash doesn't work but you had me going I had to try. <computername>\<username> is the way to go. If you don't know the computer name right off there is a link at the bottom that says... "How do I log on to another domain?" If you click that link it will show you the local computer name as the example.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


30 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hehe I only thought it as a while ago I logged into Windows and had thought I used a single backslash, but I never tried it since. This thread just reminded me of it though.

A single backslash to logon locally seems to makes sense to me, maybe they could make it a Windows 8 feature then I can start screaming that Windows 8 was my idea
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DC187 View Post
in the username box use <computername>\<username>

You might be able to use just a backslash but not 100% sure
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ultraplanet View Post
Nope the backslash doesn't work but you had me going I had to try. <computername>\<username> is the way to go. If you don't know the computer name right off there is a link at the bottom that says... "How do I log on to another domain?" If you click that link it will show you the local computer name as the example.
I am well aware about how to login but I do not wish to enter the computer name is what I am saying.
In XP there was a drop down menu saying what you wish to login to.
I.E. Login to "Name-PC" or "CFS" in a drop down menu.
I am wondering if there is anything similar or any way of obtaining this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Oct 2009   #6

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thisislaw View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DC187 View Post
in the username box use <computername>\<username>

You might be able to use just a backslash but not 100% sure
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ultraplanet View Post
Nope the backslash doesn't work but you had me going I had to try. <computername>\<username> is the way to go. If you don't know the computer name right off there is a link at the bottom that says... "How do I log on to another domain?" If you click that link it will show you the local computer name as the example.
I am well aware about how to login but I do not wish to enter the computer name is what I am saying.
In XP there was a drop down menu saying what you wish to login to.
I.E. Login to "Name-PC" or "CFS" in a drop down menu.
I am wondering if there is anything similar or any way of obtaining this.
"CFS"? I'm guessing that's meant to be either CIFS (SMB) or the actual name of the domain they use at your workplace?

Either way, it doesn't really matter.

The drop down list of names to which you're referring is/was generated based on what are called "trust relationships" between the domain to which your workstation's machine account belongs and other domains. In other words, what you see in the list is domains trusted by your workstation's DCs.

It tends to confuse the heck out of people.

There are two ways to specify the domain context when there's no domain list available:

1) The domain\username syntax which was already mentioned.
2) The "UPN" form which looks like a mail address: User@Domain.com

The authentication plumbing consisting of your machine plus its DCs will then attempt to hunt down a DC from the domain specified in order to verify the account credentials. Again, it only works if the domain is trusted, either transitively or in the NT4 sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

"CFS"? I'm guessing that's meant to be either CIFS (SMB) or the actual name of the domain they use at your workplace?

Either way, it doesn't really matter.

The drop down list of names to which you're referring is/was generated based on what are called "trust relationships" between the domain to which your workstation's machine account belongs and other domains. In other words, what you see in the list is domains trusted by your workstation's DCs.

It tends to confuse the heck out of people.

There are two ways to specify the domain context when there's no domain list available:

1) The domain\username syntax which was already mentioned.
2) The "UPN" form which looks like a mail address: User@Domain.com

The authentication plumbing consisting of your machine plus its DCs will then attempt to hunt down a DC from the domain specified in order to verify the account credentials. Again, it only works if the domain is trusted, either transitively or in the NT4 sense.[/QUOTE]

Yes, CFS is the name of the domain, just an example.
This is all very confusing for me but looks very good
What it is now is I have the option of whatever was last logged onto or "Other User".
Is there a way to make just login to domain and then have all other users just show up?
You said it is based on trust but in XP this was all there by default and since the login screen from XP to 7 is different, there will be no drop down.
So what exactly do I have to do? If you7 already mentioned it, sorry, I will need more explanation; if it can't be done, I guess we will enter it each time.
Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Nov 2009   #8

Win7x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thisislaw View Post
Is there a way to make just login to domain and then have all other users just show up?
I don't understand that question. Can you rephrase it please?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thisislaw View Post
You said it is based on trust but in XP this was all there by default and since the login screen from XP to 7 is different, there will be no drop down.
XP used a completely different logon architecture based on a framework known as GINA - Graphical IdentificatioN and Authentication. It was a b###h of an API to try to code for (it was very difficult to develop a custom "GINA"), but the default MSGINA.DLL had the domain drop-down list which it refreshed every couple of minutes (if memory serves) by contacting a DC to pull down a list of trusted domains.

The new credUI architecture in Vista/Win2K8/Windows 7 is far superior to GINA, but MSGINA.DLL is gone and so is the domain drop down list.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thisislaw View Post
So what exactly do I have to do? If you7 already mentioned it, sorry, I will need more explanation; if it can't be done, I guess we will enter it each time.
Thanks
No problem at all

To the best of my knowledge, and I'm relatively confident about this, it is not possible to obtain that domain drop-down list with any of the credUI Windows flavours (Vista onwards).

Hence, use UNC (domain\username) or UPN (username@domain.com) to pick which domain to log on to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Question: Domains in 7 and even Vista





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Question: Domains in 7 and even Vista
Thread Forum
ICANN has decided to ban the use of dotless domains News
I need some clarification about domains and IP addressing. Network & Sharing
Hotmail / Live Domains Browsers & Mail
Solved Registry Domains General Discussion
Domains Being Blocked After New Installation Network & Sharing

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33