Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HomeGroup printer sharing issues

23 Jul 2014   #1
cwburns32

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 
HomeGroup printer sharing issues

I currently have a Brother MFC-8220 hooked up via USB to my main PC in my basement. I have 5 other machines - 4 laptops and one other PC. Currently 2 of the 4 laptops and the PC can print to the printer through the HomeGroup. The 2 other laptops cannot even find the printer on the network or in the HomeGroup.

1. Laptop can see all the other PCs on the HomeGroup but cannot see the printer. This laptop cannot be seen by other machines.

2. Lptop cannot see any other PC on the HomeGroup except for the host PC but still cannot see the printer. This laptop can be seen by other machines.

It is very odd that they are both acting differently. They are all set to share everything including the printer. The printer is set to share obviously as I can print from other laptop and PC with no issues.

Any help here would be great. My current system specs are for the #1 laptop I mentioned above.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jul 2014   #2
2xg

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Hi there,

Have you tried manually installing the printer driver from the computers in question using this method?
Click on the Start button, in the run box type \\ComputerName\SharedPrinterName then tap the enter key from your keyboard.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #3
cwburns32

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hi there,

Have you tried manually installing the printer driver from the computers in question using this method?
Click on the Start button, in the run box type \\ComputerName\SharedPrinterName then tap the enter key from your keyboard.
It just says check the spelling otherwise there might be a problem with your network which obviously there is not as I can print from 2 of the 5 PCs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Jul 2014   #4
2xg

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Can you please provide us 2 ipconfig/all output, one coming from a working computer and another one from the problematic one?
Basic Requirements Before Posting your Networking Thread
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #5
cwburns32

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Can you please provide us 2 ipconfig/all output, one coming from a working computer and another one from the problematic one?
Basic Requirements Before Posting your Networking Thread
Attached is txt file of ipconfig/all from a non-working computer.

As for basic requirements before posting in networking thread...

1. Wired and wireless but I have two wireless connections working and one wired.

2. Comcast

3. Cable

4. Cisco XB3 DCP3939 gateway bridged to a Linksys EA4500 router (can print on working machines when connected to gateway's WiFi or the bridge's Wifi)

5. Microsoft Security Essentials

6. Attached.

Will attach from working computer in a few moments.

EDIT: And just for good measure here are the ipconfig/all from two other devices - one working and one not but these two are connected to the bridge's WiFi... although I doubt that matters as one is printing to the Homegroup printer and the other cannot even find it.


Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig-all working.txt (4.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: txt ipconfig-all non-working.txt (2.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: txt ipconfig-all working on bridge.txt (5.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: txt ipconfig-all non-working on bridge.txt (3.1 KB, 1 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #6
2xg

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Thank you, I see discrepancies...

Here's the working computer, see the DNS Servers:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-80-99-78-31-8C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e90a:7b7f:8327:12ff%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.193(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 25, 2014 2:36:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 01, 2014 4:43:33 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 224690329
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-C7-7B-EE-B8-CA-3A-D6-C5-5E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
The non-working computer:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-5D-4C-90-C9-E3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::29c7:1ca:aaab:36ed%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.120(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 25, 2014 5:19:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 01, 2014 5:19:53 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 249060684
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-C6-C4-61-D8-5D-4C-90-C9-E3

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
75.75.76.76

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Edit ...therefore the DNS Servers will need to be the same. I'd use the Comcast DNS's 75.75.75.75
and 75.75.76.76, set it to Auto to pickup your ISPs DNSes.

Another update of your progress will be nice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #7
cwburns32

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Thank you, I see discrepancies...

Here's the working computer, see the DNS Servers:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-80-99-78-31-8C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e90a:7b7f:8327:12ff%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.193(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 25, 2014 2:36:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 01, 2014 4:43:33 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 224690329
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-C7-7B-EE-B8-CA-3A-D6-C5-5E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
The non-working computer:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-5D-4C-90-C9-E3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::29c7:1ca:aaab:36ed%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.120(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 25, 2014 5:19:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 01, 2014 5:19:53 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 249060684
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-C6-C4-61-D8-5D-4C-90-C9-E3

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
75.75.76.76

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
Exactly except it is the other way around the DNS server 75.75.75.75 is on the working computer and 8.8.8.8 is on non-working. I can tell by WiFi adapter name.

Either way can I fix this easily?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #8
2xg

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

I don't know if you were able to read the edits that I've made, sorry if you didn't. The DNSes need to be set to 75.75.75.75 which is your ISP's DNS'es, the 8.8.8.8 is an Open DNS, also Google's DNS'es.
Quote:
Exactly except it is the other way around the DNS server 75.75.75.75 is on the working computer and 8.8.8.8 is on non-working. I can tell by WiFi adapter name.
Here's how to change the DNS server to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" from the problem computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #9
cwburns32

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Thank you, I see discrepancies...

Here's the working computer, see the DNS Servers:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 64-80-99-78-31-8C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e90a:7b7f:8327:12ff%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.193(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 25, 2014 2:36:28 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 01, 2014 4:43:33 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 224690329
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-C7-7B-EE-B8-CA-3A-D6-C5-5E

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
The non-working computer:
Quote:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.il.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TP-LINK 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : D8-5D-4C-90-C9-E3
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::29c7:1ca:aaab:36ed%10(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.120(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 25, 2014 5:19:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 01, 2014 5:19:53 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 249060684
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-18-C6-C4-61-D8-5D-4C-90-C9-E3

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 75.75.75.75
75.75.76.76

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Edit ...therefore the DNS Servers will need to be the same. I'd use the Comcast DNS's 75.75.75.75
and 75.75.76.76, set it to Auto to pickup your ISPs DNSes.

Another update of your progress will be nice.
Okay set alternate DNS servers and both non-working machines to 75.75.75.75 as primary and 75.75.76.76 as alternate. On the machine that is connected to the bridge's WiFi the printer can be found but upon installation tells me I need to manually install driver (I'd assume look online). The machine that is connected to the gateway's WiFi still does not recognize the printer on the network or in the Homegroup. I doubt this matters but might be worth mentioning.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jul 2014   #10
2xg

Win7 & Win8 64bit
 
 

Yes, please look for a current driver online and install it.
Quote:
On the machine that is connected to the bridge's WiFi the printer can be found but upon installation tells me I need to manually install driver (I'd assume look online).
I would do a reboot if you have not done this yet.
Quote:
The machine that is connected to the gateway's WiFi still does not recognize the printer on the network or in the Homegroup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HomeGroup printer sharing issues




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Homegroup Printer Sharing Fails error 0x000003e3
We have an ASUS Zenbook U31F. We like it, but may have to return it because we cannot get it to print to our network printer on our HomeGroup. We have a Dell Studio 17 that prints to this computer with no problem. When we attempt to print to the printer (HP OfficeJet 6100 Series), the ASUS...
Network & Sharing
HomeGroup: Sharing Printer only w/1 PC & files + printer with another
I was wondering if there is a way to only share certain files/folders with selected PCs on a HomeGroup. For example: Main PC has all the files/folders + printer attached ... PC2 only gets printer + some folder access and PC3 only gets printer access but no access to shared files/folder on the...
Network & Sharing
Sharing a printer in a Homegroup
I am trying to print from my laptop to my pc. Both belong to the same Homegroup with shared printer. I have added the printer from my PC to my laptap and it shows up in the Devices and Printers. My problem is that the printer default on my Laptop is Xps Writer and it doesn't allow it to be...
Network & Sharing
XP mode and printer sharing issues.
I have a fresh windows 7 pro install on a new machine. For the sake of this email, lets say that machine is called HHH. I joined that machine to workgroup GGG. The machine is DHCP into my router. I created a new XP mode Virtual. Called the new virutual VVV, joined it into the same workgroup...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup printer issues
Have seen this discussed on the net but I have tried some of the suggested fixes and they have not worked. Have a pc and a notebook both running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Homegroup had been set up on the pc and I just got the notebook and have joined the same homegroup I have two printers...
Network & Sharing
Printer Sharing issues
Main PC upstairs wired to the printer. Homegroup has been set up and everything has been set up to share with my downstairs PC. I can see the Printer from downstairs but cant seem to connect to it? Any ideas on what to Check Thanks Kwack
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:54.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App