Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Remote Desktop Woes (Connection Issues)

18 Aug 2014   #21
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

If you have ccleaner installed, you can open it then go to tools-startup

If not see here:


1. Open the Start Menu, type msconfig in the search box, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.

3.) Click the startup tab

Take a snapshot of the list. Or use the snipping tool.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Aug 2014   #22
Syfer22

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
If you have ccleaner installed, you can open it then go to tools-startup

If not see here:


1. Open the Start Menu, type msconfig in the search box, and press Enter.

2. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes.

3.) Click the startup tab

Take a snapshot of the list. Or use the snipping tool.
Here they are, attached. Thanks for all your help!


Attached Images
Remote Desktop Woes (Connection Issues)-startup.jpg Remote Desktop Woes (Connection Issues)-startup2.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #23
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hmmm, I see nothing that would cause this. What is powernap? Do you know what that is? I was unable to find any information on it.

I also do not see any antivirus software! Do you have any? Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program.

On the other pc that works, when you open the rdp file, look through each tab and look at the settings set. Make sure they are identical to what is on the pc you're having trouble with.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2014   #24
Syfer22

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Hmmm, I see nothing that would cause this. What is powernap? Do you know what that is? I was unable to find any information on it.

I also do not see any antivirus software! Do you have any? Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program.

On the other pc that works, when you open the rdp file, look through each tab and look at the settings set. Make sure they are identical to what is on the pc you're having trouble with.
I did try what you suggested as far as mirroring settings, and I even tried sending a copy of the one that works to my work PC. Still the same issue; it sits on "initializing connection" before eventually giving me the error message.

Powernap is part of Display Fusion; a program I use to manage my dual monitors. Aside from Malwarebytes, I do not have any other program.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #25
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

That is not good. All your pcs should have an antivirus. If you want a free and lightweight program, I recommend panda cloud free. Its in my signature below this post. You should have an antivirus. Malwarebytes is a compliment to it, not a replacement! I would also run a scan once you get it installed.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am running out of ideas...

Is the one that cannot connect a desktop or laptop?

Do you have any other issues with the pc? Browsing the web and everything else fine?

Do you have any connection software (vpn, filters, host file edits,) or any software that involves connecting to the internet that is different from the other pcs?

I would ask you to upload it here, but since its a matter of security that would not be wise.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #26
Syfer22

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
That is not good. All your pcs should have an antivirus. If you want a free and lightweight program, I recommend panda cloud free. Its in my signature below this post. You should have an antivirus. Malwarebytes is a compliment to it, not a replacement! I would also run a scan once you get it installed.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I am running out of ideas...

Is the one that cannot connect a desktop or laptop?

Do you have any other issues with the pc? Browsing the web and everything else fine?

Do you have any connection software (vpn, filters, host file edits,) or any software that involves connecting to the internet that is different from the other pcs?

I would ask you to upload it here, but since its a matter of security that would not be wise.
You and me both. It just makes no sense that my desktop could connect remotely up until a week ago (when my workplace migrated to the new system) but now it can't -- Whereas my laptops can.

AFAIK I do not have any connection software like VPNs, just the remote desktop software. Everything else is fine on the desktop; I still browse and game like normal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #27
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Unfortunately,

I am out of ideas and will have to leave the thread. We have posted this in our section where we ask for more help, hopefully another member can assist.

But please make sure to install panda or some other free AV. Stay safe out there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #28
Syfer22

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Unfortunately,

I am out of ideas and will have to leave the thread. We have posted this in our section where we ask for more help, hopefully another member can assist.

But please make sure to install panda or some other free AV. Stay safe out there.
Thanks for trying, man. I know I wasn't much help with my vague info.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2014   #29
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I have a small suggestion after you get your anti virus installed and your system scanned.

Once again go into msconfig/Start up and uncheck everything except your security and the the programs you need for RDT.
Then go into Services in the lower left corner select Hide all Microsoft Services. Uncheck everything except your security and things needed for RDT.
Reboot and give it a try.

*** Make a list of everything you had checked in Start and Services before changing them.
That way you can put them back the way they were.***

What this is doing is stopping the unchecked items from starting at boot. They will still work when you or a program request them to work.

Example:
If you have Office installed but it doesn't start at boot.
You can still use it just by ticking on Office or it's Icon.
It will start as it normally would. When your done you just close it and it stops running in the background when your not using it.

If RDT starts working as it should you will know that it is one of those programs you unchecked in msconfig. You can then add them a few at a time to find out which program is causing the problem.

Also compare your setting in Malwarebytes with the proper working computer settings in Malwarebytes.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support...dSettings.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Aug 2014   #30
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Look I am really a bit of a simpleton when it comes to this stuff but I am wondering maybe you have a driver problem with your LAN / WLAN etc etc have you updated them all?

For any malware I would run these

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

download from bleeping computer delete any rubbishthese find.

Emsisoft Free Emergency Kit: portable malware scanner | Free removal of Viruses,Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers and Trojans I only use the Emergancy Kit and Commnnad line scans

this
http://support.kaspersky.com/4162
There are more heavy duty ones but I usually find these enough.

There is also the bleeding obvious

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html < use the /f option in Option 2 ifnecessary

















My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Remote Desktop Woes (Connection Issues)




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Identifying remote computer for Remote Desktop Connection
Remote Desktop Connection wants the IP or name of the remote computer to connect to. But suppose the remote computer is behind a router. The router has one WAN IP, say 192.45.63.98, which will be the same for all the computers connected off of that router, (when you google "my ip" from any of...
Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection
Can I connect through my LAN to my other PC using the Pubic IP or do it have to be outside of the WAN for it to work? :confused: Using the Computer Name and User Name behind WAN works great. Please I need Help! Thanks :)
Network & Sharing
Remote desktop connection issues -> console session
Hi, Very recently I started having a problem with the remote desktop where it says the following message: "Your computer could not connect to another console session on the remote computer because you already have a console session in progress." What I am trying to do is to access my...
Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop connection
Hi just bought a laptop computer with windows 7 home prem in hopes that i could connect it to my desktop pc (windows 7 ult.) at home. Is there a way I can create a windows remote desktop connection with my laptop to connect to my computer at home if its on a different network. I know i can easily...
Network & Sharing
Remote connection issues
Im trying to setup a remote connection to my PC & Netbook then vice versa, my PC can access my netbook with out issues but my netbook cant, this is via mstsc command and I've temporarily disabled the firewall on both ends and im still having issues connecting to my PC from my netbook, I get the...
Network & Sharing
Remote Desktop Connection
Hey Guys and Ladies. I have been having issues setting up my machine for RDC. The times that I've tried connecting to my home computer from my work computer, it keeps asking me for Credentials. I have been looking all over the internet, and in this forum, for how to get those credentials it is...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App