Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Being bottlenecked by Linksys Wireless-G router

03 Sep 2014   #1
RamyG4

Windows 7 64bit
 
 
Being bottlenecked by Linksys Wireless-G router

Router: http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT54G.../dp/B00007KDVI

Needing faster download speeds, I recently upgraded my internet service. With my pc wired through the router, I get speeds of about 21 Mbps and 12-13 Mbps when connected wirelessly. When bypassing the router, i get speeds of about 60Mbps.

Does anybody have an idea of what the issue may be? Any recommendations on routers that can handle 60Mbps if I do indeed need to upgrade?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Sep 2014   #2
theveterans

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

WRT54G has an ancient CPU that can't keep up with today's bandwidth. For 60 Mbps bandwidth on both WiFi and Ethernet, buy at least N750 Gigabit router which costs around $90. For better performance/money, get an AC1200 Gigabit router for $120 and triple your WiFi speed that you get out of N750 router with a AC1200 client (i.e. your devices must support 802.11ac to get the 3x speeds).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Sep 2014   #3
RamyG4

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theveterans View Post
WRT54G has an ancient CPU that can't keep up with today's bandwidth. For 60 Mbps bandwidth on both WiFi and Ethernet, buy at least N750 Gigabit router which costs around $90. For better performance/money, get an AC1200 Gigabit router for $120 and triple your WiFi speed that you get out of N750 router with a AC1200 client (i.e. your devices must support 802.11ac to get the 3x speeds).

Thanks. Neither of my computers support 802.11ac (have a desktop with a wireless usb adapter and a laptop); both support 802.11n but I suppose a new usb adapter could always remedy that if necessary.

You lost me on the 3x speed though. It sounds like you're saying that an AC1200 router will give me 3x the speed I would get on an N750 router, but that doesn't make sense to me if an n750 router would be giving me 60mbps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Sep 2014   #4
theveterans

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RamyG4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theveterans View Post
WRT54G has an ancient CPU that can't keep up with today's bandwidth. For 60 Mbps bandwidth on both WiFi and Ethernet, buy at least N750 Gigabit router which costs around $90. For better performance/money, get an AC1200 Gigabit router for $120 and triple your WiFi speed that you get out of N750 router with a AC1200 client (i.e. your devices must support 802.11ac to get the 3x speeds).

Thanks. Neither of my computers support 802.11ac (have a desktop with a wireless usb adapter and a laptop); both support 802.11n but I suppose a new usb adapter could always remedy that if necessary.

You lost me on the 3x speed though. It sounds like you're saying that an AC1200 router will give me 3x the speed I would get on an N750 router, but that doesn't make sense to me if an n750 router would be giving me 60mbps.
It's rounded off to 3x the speed. Most laptops have link speeds of 300 Mbps (N300 or N600) while newer AC1200 adapters have 866 Mbps speed (rounded off to 900 Mbps hence AC1200 = 900 + 300). Those link speeds are when the router is in line of sight with the device

Actual transfer speeds is around 50 - 60 Megabytes/sec (400 - 500 Mbps) while it's around 20 MB/s (160 Mbps) for N so you can have a 300 Mbps internet plan and get all that speed with an AC1200 router.

I'm 1 wall between the laptop and router and the router gives me 702 Mbps link speed with an actual transfer rate of 45 - 50 MB/s on USB 3.0 flash drive attached to my router. Not too shabby.

Being bottlenecked by Linksys Wireless-G router-untitled.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2014   #5
Dude

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

You can try DD-WRT to improve a little, do so at you own risk. I did it with my router the Linksys WRT160Nv3 and it improved my speeds

Hacking your Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router with DD-WRT firmware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2014   #6
RamyG4

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theveterans View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by RamyG4 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by theveterans View Post
WRT54G has an ancient CPU that can't keep up with today's bandwidth. For 60 Mbps bandwidth on both WiFi and Ethernet, buy at least N750 Gigabit router which costs around $90. For better performance/money, get an AC1200 Gigabit router for $120 and triple your WiFi speed that you get out of N750 router with a AC1200 client (i.e. your devices must support 802.11ac to get the 3x speeds).

Thanks. Neither of my computers support 802.11ac (have a desktop with a wireless usb adapter and a laptop); both support 802.11n but I suppose a new usb adapter could always remedy that if necessary.

You lost me on the 3x speed though. It sounds like you're saying that an AC1200 router will give me 3x the speed I would get on an N750 router, but that doesn't make sense to me if an n750 router would be giving me 60mbps.
It's rounded off to 3x the speed. Most laptops have link speeds of 300 Mbps (N300 or N600) while newer AC1200 adapters have 866 Mbps speed (rounded off to 900 Mbps hence AC1200 = 900 + 300). Those link speeds are when the router is in line of sight with the device

Actual transfer speeds is around 50 - 60 Megabytes/sec (400 - 500 Mbps) while it's around 20 MB/s (160 Mbps) for N so you can have a 300 Mbps internet plan and get all that speed with an AC1200 router.

I'm 1 wall between the laptop and router and the router gives me 702 Mbps link speed with an actual transfer rate of 45 - 50 MB/s on USB 3.0 flash drive attached to my router. Not too shabby.

Attachment 331937

Alright got it, thanks for your help. I think I'll order an N750 router for now and see what speeds I get with it. Looking at this one:

Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 450Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch: Electronics
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Sep 2014   #7
theveterans

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Keep in mind that you must use a N900 wireless adapter to get the 450 Mbps advertised speeds by TP-Link. Those adapters are quite expensive (not refurb) and it's cheaper to just get an AC1200 adapter (it's backwards compatible with N and G). It's all up to you in the end.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2014   #8
RamyG4

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Thanks for all your help theveterans, it's greatly appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Being bottlenecked by Linksys Wireless-G router




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
When I connect to my wireless router it says "linksys 2"
When I connect to my wireless router it says "linksys 2" but the ssid is just "linksys" so where is this 2 coming from and how do i make it go away?
Network & Sharing
Wireless router Linksys
Anybody can help me to install one wireless router Linksys Wireless - G. I have lost the installation cd. This can be done straight from windows settings but i don't know how to do it. THX
Network & Sharing
BELKIN Wireless G Router Vs Linksys WRT54GL
Title says it all I quite want the belkin one because it's cheaper but apparently the linksys one is more reliable The belkin: http://bit.ly/vkw0F4 The Linksys: http://bit.ly/ughnQE
Network & Sharing
My Linksys router frequently stops wireless broadcasting
My Linksys WRT54GC (version2) model router frequently stops wireless broadcasting and I have to unplug and replug the power cable to connect again. After some time, it again suddenly stops wireless broadcast until it's repowered. I've been having this problem for over 2 weeks now and tried...
Network & Sharing
Help setting up wireless linksys router
I had to redo my uncles wireless router this weekend. I was able to get the router hooked up and working with a hardwire, but the wireless didn't seem to get setup and when I tried to do it through control panel I didnt have any luck. I should say that I think he's on Vista (it's a compaq...
Network & Sharing
Wireless Speed Bottlenecked!
I'm using a Belkin F6D3000(Atheros Chipset) (g/a/b) wireless adapter that is able to get 108mbs on XP Pro(with and without the "controlling" software). The Problem is, on the 7000 x64 Beta, it will only connect at 54mbs, even with the newest Atheros drivers. Is there some way to fix this, or does...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App