Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HP psc 1200 printer scans but won't print on windows 7

25 Sep 2014   #1
Printer

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 
HP psc 1200 printer scans but won't print on windows 7

I have had my windows 7 machine for several years and have never once been able to figure out how to print using my HP 1200 series printer (yea I know, it's a very old printer). I scan all the time with no problems. What the heck. I click print on a document and all that ever happens is the spooler takes up half my cpu and I end up having to end spooler process via task manager. No printing ever occurs. I'm lost and stuck with this problem.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Sep 2014   #2
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

Did you install the HP driver software? If not that is the first step. If you did, download and install the software again.

Here is the HP, Windows 7 64 bit software
Software & driver downloads HP PSC 1200 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #3
Printer

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Did you install the HP driver software? If not that is the first step. If you did, download and install the software again.

Here is the HP, Windows 7 64 bit software
Software & driver downloads HP PSC 1200 All-in-One Printer | HP® Support

I mentioned that I can scan and scanning wouldn't work without the driver. I checked in device manager and it says the printer is working properly and the driver is up to date.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Sep 2014   #4
Berton

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8.1 64-bit, Mac OS X 10.10, Linux Mint 17, Windows 10 Pro TP
 
 

It's my belief the scan function uses different hardware from the print function and usually uses a TWAIN driver. The physical connection would be the same. Scanning and Copying use the same hardware in the unit while Copying also uses the print function of the machine. Can you Copy and get the printout? Does the printer give you its diagnostic printout?

Also, since this post is in the Networking forum instead of Hardware, how is the printer connected to the computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #5
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Berton makes good points and asks a few valid questions.

You might find the answers here:
HP LaserJet - Driver support included in Windows 7

Try this method first: Download and install the driver on your computer now

If you still have printer issues, try this method: Download the driver for later use or use on another computer

Both methods are on the same page so you can scroll either one if you find that easier.

You might have to uninstall the scanner and printer for the HP 1200 series printer if your machine continues to have issues with the printer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #6
Printer

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Berton View Post
It's my belief the scan function uses different hardware from the print function and usually uses a TWAIN driver. The physical connection would be the same. Scanning and Copying use the same hardware in the unit while Copying also uses the print function of the machine. Can you Copy and get the printout? Does the printer give you its diagnostic printout?

Also, since this post is in the Networking forum instead of Hardware, how is the printer connected to the computer?
It's connected by a physical cable. The copy function operates separate from the computer anyway and there are buttons on the printer to do copying, so that doesn't help me. If I connect the printer to the windows 8 machine, it prints fine. It's just the windows 7 machine that it won't print from.

What I need people to understand is that when I click print on a document, the spooler (spoolsv.exe) process takes up 50% of my cpu in an unending way. That process just sits there taking up half my cpu but the printer doesn't print. It's like it can't get the document to the printer for some reason.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #7
OvenMaster

Win7 Pro 32bit; Zorin OS 9 Core (in VM)
 
 

A friend of mine "upgraded" from XP to 7 and had an HP 1200 all in one. HP supplied the Win 7 driver but basic functions like scan controls, ink level check and printer head alignment were no longer available, and the printer put so much ink on the paper that it soaked through. He had no trouble at all with XP. He reluctantly retired it and bought a Brother.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #8
Printer

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Berton makes good points and asks a few valid questions.

You might find the answers here:
HP LaserJet - Driver support included in Windows 7

Try this method first: Download and install the driver on your computer now

If you still have printer issues, try this method: Download the driver for later use or use on another computer

Both methods are on the same page so you can scroll either one if you find that easier.

You might have to uninstall the scanner and printer for the HP 1200 series printer if your machine continues to have issues with the printer.
As I said, I already have the most current driver according to the device manager.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Sep 2014   #9
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Printer View Post
As I said, I already have the most current driver according to the device manager.
and you also said:
I have had my windows 7 machine for several years and have never once been able to figure out how to print using my HP 1200 series printer
There aren't too many reasons why a device won't function
1) not plugged in
-- it scans so it's plugged in

2) not connected
-- it scans so it's connected

3) no driver
-- you say the driver is in device manager - please post a screen shot of the general tab

4) wrong driver
-- you say the correct driver is in device manager - please post a screen shot of the driver tab

5) misconfigured driver
-- you haven't said anything about the configuration or if you looked in Devices and Printers
- please post a screen shot of Control Panel -> Devices and Printers

Right click on the printer
- select properties post a screen shot of the ports tab
- select see what's printing and cancel any pending print jobs

6) busted device
?????
Try the Control Panel Trouble shooter -> Hardware and Sound -> Use a printer

Post error msgs, codes and screen shots.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2014   #10
Printer

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

EDIT AND UPDATE: I changed the port to the usb port (from LPT 1) and it printed (yay). Any guesses as to why my machine couldn't automatically pick the correct port all these years?

THANK YOU ALL!


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Printer View Post
As I said, I already have the most current driver according to the device manager.
and you also said:
I have had my windows 7 machine for several years and have never once been able to figure out how to print using my HP 1200 series printer
There aren't too many reasons why a device won't function
1) not plugged in
-- it scans so it's plugged in

2) not connected
-- it scans so it's connected

3) no driver
-- you say the driver is in device manager - please post a screen shot of the general tab

4) wrong driver
-- you say the correct driver is in device manager - please post a screen shot of the driver tab

5) misconfigured driver
-- you haven't said anything about the configuration or if you looked in Devices and Printers
- please post a screen shot of Control Panel -> Devices and Printers

Right click on the printer
- select properties post a screen shot of the ports tab
- select see what's printing and cancel any pending print jobs

6) busted device
?????
Try the Control Panel Trouble shooter -> Hardware and Sound -> Use a printer

Post error msgs, codes and screen shots.

In "devices and printers" it says it needs troubleshooting (yellow triangle with exclamation point). When I run the troubleshooter, it says it couldn't find the problem.

The device can't be busted because it prints from my windows 8 machine.





Attached Thumbnails
HP psc 1200 printer scans but won't print on windows 7-printer-general-tab.png   HP psc 1200 printer scans but won't print on windows 7-printer-driver-tab.png  
Attached Images
HP psc 1200 printer scans but won't print on windows 7-printer-port-tab.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HP psc 1200 printer scans but won't print on windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Printer not on print manager list but can print to it from aps
My usb attached printer is no longer listed in control panel PM. I want to set it as default but can't. Tried several suggestions in this forum but nothing worked. Thanks.
Hardware & Devices
Printer problems print button grayed out - test print page fails
Hi, I just purchased an used computer with Windows 7Home Premium x64, this is an HP Slimline s5610f. The problem that I have is with a Brother HL 2040 series printer. It gave me a really hard time to install the drivers that I downloaded from the Brother website I kept getting a "0x00000057" error...
Hardware & Devices
Create task to open printer, print test page, and shutdown printer?
thanks for your guide how can I create a task to 'open a printer, print the test page at that specific printer and then shut down the printer' ? I want to do this, so that the printer will be maintained and not break due to inactivity thanks!
General Discussion
Some applications on Windows 7 will not print to printer on Mac OS
I have a HP PSC 3550 connected to my Mac and I have successfully added this printer to Windows 7. I am able to print a test page from Windows 7. I am able to print from Openoffice. However, I cannot print from Wordpad or Notepad. This is the event log entry: The document Untitled -...
General Discussion
problem with network printer hp laserjet 1020, 1200
hi all :D I have a problem with network printer hp laserjet 1020, 1200, 6L I use windows seven 32 bit professional how to install driver laserjet 1020, laserjet 1200, laserjet 6L on the network ? when i install the printer driver always fails 0x000006be error message for laserjet 1020...
Network & Sharing
OS: XP HP 1200 Printer
I know this is for windows seven forum but i think you may be able to help. This is a printer i have at my business and for YEARS it has been working with out a problem (mostly prints work orders) Recently every few prints i get an error message, i have to either restart the computer or...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:49.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App