Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to protect yourself on an unsecured network?

12 Apr 2016   #11
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Excellent advice Nigel

A little off topic but...

I just went bonkers on my daughters PC through the routers security using keywords, I totally trust her and she`s 18 years old, but I`m so overprotective of her, I added sooo many keywords

I won`t be surprised if youtube or google won`t even come up anymore


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Apr 2016   #12
Jemjem787

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
You could always add a software Firewall to the actual devices connecting to the open network, which if set correctly would prevent anyone from accessing, (or even seeing), the protected devices I always install Comodo Firewall on all systems I deal with Free Internet Security and Antivirus | Security Solutions from Comodo (there are both free and commercial software options on their site, so take care )

Adding a firewall will add complexity and a learning curve to your computing but that is the price you pay for security these days.

My basic advice with Comodo Firewall is to set it to "training mode" for a few days or weeks to let it learn your web surfing habits and set itself up.

You can also install the Comodo Internet security suite (free) which gives a number of reliable extras for security,

One other thing is to ensure that you set your network type to "Public" which will set windows own network security to it's highest level, (switching off sharing and device discovery Etc)
This is exactly what i am looking for, thanks!



Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post

And you`re forgetting one important factor, you have to be physically connected to that landlords wireless router to make any changes or see any other devices connected to it.

These smartphone apps may scan the network, and see devices, but that`s all they can do, scan it.
I am currently connected wirelessly to my internet connection, with no physical connection at all, and can currently change all the settings in the router and see other devices on the network.

I have an APP on my phone called FING. I can scan the network, find any hosts and the ports they have open, and in the case they have port 80/8080 open (Web interface), i can open the interface and depending on the security, (No password/default password) i can do MORE then just scan.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Wow, you didn`t need to know that printers ip address ? I find that quite amazing.
There are tons of tools too scan your network and find any hosts that are alive. I assume you would be able to find the printer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2016   #13
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote:
I am currently connected wirelessly to my internet connection, with no physical connection at all, and can currently change all the settings in the router and see other devices on the network.
Is this your own router to which you have the required credentials or are you saying that the router at your friends location has no credentials set up for the Router - If so then that is really stupid of the landlord, and I would be tempted to add credentials and let the other residents, and the landlord, know
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Apr 2016   #14
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Excellent advice Nigel

A little off topic but...

I just went bonkers on my daughters PC through the routers security using keywords, I totally trust her and she`s 18 years old, but I`m so overprotective of her, I added sooo many keywords

I won`t be surprised if youtube or google won`t even come up anymore
I always have fun at clients when setting up network security, the first thing to happen is a block on any address containing "Faceb" which removes the majority of load on the systems
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2016   #15
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jemjem787 View Post
A friend of mine is moving into a basement suite...
~~~
She has a Macbook, an iphone, and her boyfriend who has an android phone.
~~~
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
You could always add a software Firewall to the actual devices connecting to the open network, which if set correctly would prevent anyone from accessing, (or even seeing), the protected devices I always install Comodo Firewall on all systems I deal with Free Internet Security and Antivirus | Security Solutions from Comodo (there are both free and commercial software options on their site, so take care )

Adding a firewall will add complexity and a learning curve to your computing but that is the price you pay for security these days.

My basic advice with Comodo Firewall is to set it to "training mode" for a few days or weeks to let it learn your web surfing habits and set itself up.

You can also install the Comodo Internet security suite (free) which gives a number of reliable extras for security,

One other thing is to ensure that you set your network type to "Public" which will set windows own network security to it's highest level, (switching off sharing and device discovery Etc)
I don't see a Comodo Firewall product for Mac and iPhone. Adding a firewall should not hurt anything, but it won't help to prevent the problem shown in the video I posted. The video is old and Facebook uses https now, but many website don't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Apr 2016   #16
sml156

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit 7601
 
 

The only way I can see your friend protecting themselves

1: Use A VPN

OR
2: Find out the make and model of the router and see if it has a guest network setting and set that up properly for himself

OR
3: Get your friend to spend a bit of cash and buy a new router and talk the landlord into using his new super duper router instead of the old crappy one. If the landlord is giving him internet for free spending $50 or $100 on a new router would still be worth the peace of mind a properly setup router would bring. To sweetin the deal he should let the landlord keep it as a gift.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to protect yourself on an unsecured network?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Laptop Keeps Connecting To Unsecured Wifi Network?
I have my own modem/router. So i connect to it via ethernet so wired connection. Sometimes i would use it on wifi. However recently a new internet wifi connection has shown up in my wifi connections and my computer keeps trying to connect to it. Im not sure 100 percent if it has or not but many...
Network & Sharing
protect my computer from others on my network
So on my network at home there are a few others connected to it and i wanted to know how i would go about making it so they cannot access my shared docs or computer at all over the network without a password but i dont know how to go about doing this. Can anyone help me do this?
Network & Sharing
Wireless Security: How To Protect Your Network
Why Secure Your Network? Securing your network is an important step in keeping most hackers out of your wireless network. Adequate wireless security can keep interlopers, such as neighbors or attackers, from hogging network bandwidth (a form of denial-of-service), compromising sensitive...
Tutorials
how to protect my network
how do i know no one is conected to my wifi and how to protect my network?
Network & Sharing
unsecured network will not connect
so my girlfriend bought a new computer a toshiba sattelite brand new with windows 7 and it has internet connection problems. It only connects to the internet in the dorm which is unsecure but with limited connectivity there is no router in the dorm but it is their internet they are not borrowing...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App