Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Network identification problem


18 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Network identification problem

I have 3PCs at home with Windows 7. My pc has 2 network connections:
1. Internet connection (wired)
2. LAN connection (wired)

My pc gets internet through connection 1 and then shares it through connection 2, as simple as that, but here's the problem.

I can change connection 1 type and put everything I want public/work/home and all is great, but no matter what I do I just can't change the type of my LAN connection 2, it's always identified as public and it can't be changed (grayed out). Therefore I can't create homegroup. Guys, I really tried everything, but no luck, connection 2 is public and can't be changed. My pc has Windows 7 x64, two other pcs have Windows 7 x32


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SLOT View Post
I have 3PCs at home with Windows 7. My pc has 2 network connections:
1. Internet connection (wired)
2. LAN connection (wired)

My pc gets internet through connection 1 and then shares it through connection 2, as simple as that, but here's the problem.

I can change connection 1 type and put everything I want public/work/home and all is great, but no matter what I do I just can't change the type of my LAN connection 2, it's always identified as public and it can't be changed (grayed out). Therefore I can't create homegroup. Guys, I really tried everything, but no luck, connection 2 is public and can't be changed. My pc has Windows 7 x64, two other pcs have Windows 7 x32
What is so important about making it homegroup? You can have a workgroup instead and that also means you can turn off IPv6 which causes problems in the first place


Ken J++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 7
 
 

[QUOTE=zigzag3143;389053]
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SLOT View Post
What is so important about making it homegroup? You can have a workgroup instead and that also means you can turn off IPv6 which causes problems in the first place


Ken J++
IPv6 was turned off and it didn't help.
I don't like unsolved problems ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


18 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

This is a pretty well known issue, from what I've read. I found a thread over at Microsoft that may help:

Windows 7 RC - I can't change my network from public to work

There are a lot of posts in there, but scroll down to the post by Isendaloft and see if that helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #5

7600.20510 x86
 
 

Turn on IPv6 if you want Homegroup.

But as ZigZag says, classic sharing method (Workgroup) is a much "better" solution.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Nov 2009   #6

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
Turn on IPv6 if you want Homegroup.

But as ZigZag says, classic sharing method (Workgroup) is a much "better" solution.
I agree, but workgroup/homegroup isn't related to this problem IMHO. I believe Windows cannot determine the network type and defaults to a public network and will not allow it to be changed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Network identification problem




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Network identification problem
Thread Forum
Hardware Identification Tutorials
SATA identification Hardware & Devices
Very slow network identification (Wired) Network & Sharing
USB Identification. Hardware & Devices
Hardware identification BSOD Help and Support

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33