Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Safe Mode makes internet speed 50Mb/s faster

17 Aug 2016   #11
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

We need the other scans please


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
17 Aug 2016   #12
cawa

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zoloft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cawa View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samuria View Post
A lot of things are failing but why are you trying to dial up to a VPN which won't help?
I'm not.
In the run command once again, type inetcpl.cpl and hit OK.

The internet properties window comes up. Click on the connections tab.

Anything that is in the Dial Up and Virtual Private Network Settings box left click once to select, hen click remove. Give approval. I don't think that alone is your problem, but as samuria noted, it certainly doesn't help. I'd bet dollars to donuts that AVG is the problem, disable it in both the ethernet (local area connection) and wireless, and I'd bet you'll see much improved speeds.
Actually, no. Those VPN connections do not engage automatically, so do not run at boot, as shown in the boot error logs above. Those were disconnections errors from earlier in the day. see time stamps.
I have completely uninstalled all traces of AVG tune up. I have removed my VPN connections as well (to follow advice ) and uninstalled most of the error causing progs as well. Still trying to find drivers for ArcCtrl ArcSec, the first two errors, and will let you know with a new scan... but so far no change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2016   #13
samuria

win 8 32 bit
 
 

If you do this so we can rule out malware

Please download Adware cleaner from the link below.
ToolsLib - Downloads - AdwCleaner
Save it to your desktop.
Right click run as admin.
Hit the scan button.
Allow completion.
Make sure all items are ticked.
Hit the clean button.
Even if no items are displayed to be ticked hit the clean button anyway.
The machine will reboot this is normal.
Post the log in your next reply.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Aug 2016   #14
cawa

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by samuria View Post
If you do this so we can rule out malware

Please download Adware cleaner from the link below.
ToolsLib - Downloads - AdwCleaner
Save it to your desktop.
Right click run as admin.
Hit the scan button.
Allow completion.
Make sure all items are ticked.
Hit the clean button.
Even if no items are displayed to be ticked hit the clean button anyway.
The machine will reboot this is normal.
Post the log in your next reply.
Ya, that was done. I use Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro often and ran both every day since first post. Clean and clear as a whistle.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2016   #15
cawa

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

OK! I uninstalled Game spy and both my anti virus apps.
Panda and MS Security Ess
scanned
Problem fixed.
So now I have to re-install an antivirus and see what happens.
Getting somewhere!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Aug 2016   #16
cawa

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Well, looks like Panda Cloud Antivirus was the culprit!
AVG Tune Up was benign after all.
Running it with MS Sec Essentials only and all my anti malware apps and getting full speed.
Thanks for all the help Samuria!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2016   #17
wasnotwas

W10 Pro x64, W7 Pro x64 in VMware
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cawa View Post
OK! I uninstalled Game spy and both my anti virus apps.
Panda and MS Security Ess
scanned
Problem fixed.
So now I have to re-install an antivirus and see what happens.
Getting somewhere!
This was the problem, not Panda. You should never run 2 A/V at once. MSE normally gets disabled when a 2nd A/V is installed (for this very reason). Somehow, that didn't happen in your case. Turning off MSE and just using Panda would have also fixed the problem.

This ^ doesn't apply to on demand stuff eg Mbam.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Aug 2016   #18
cawa

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wasnotwas View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cawa View Post
OK! I uninstalled Game spy and both my anti virus apps.
Panda and MS Security Ess
scanned
Problem fixed.
So now I have to re-install an antivirus and see what happens.
Getting somewhere!
This was the problem, not Panda. You should never run 2 A/V at once. MSE normally gets disabled when a 2nd A/V is installed (for this very reason). Somehow, that didn't happen in your case. Turning off MSE and just using Panda would have also fixed the problem.

This ^ doesn't apply to on demand stuff eg Mbam.
Actually, no. Panda was the issue.
Reinstalled Panda only, and issue came back exactly as it was.
It seems running Panda and Firefox always causes speed issues (for me), even if FF is run in safe mode.
The fastest speeds I get is when running MSE and using Chrome with Adblockplus and do not track enabled.
Surprisingly, during tests AVG was not that much of a speed and resource hog as some suggest.
Testing on www .dslreports. com/speedtest as well as my usual speedtest.net sure was an eye opener. Great tool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Safe Mode makes internet speed 50Mb/s faster




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Internet faster in Safe Mode, slower in "normal mode"
As title says, my internet in safe mode with network activity is 10x times faster than in normal mode, i've removed a lot of services but the problem insists. Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5 Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505) MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514) ...
Network & Sharing
normal mode acting like safe mode and now internet not working
Hi all, my laptop has been acting crazy the past couple of days. First of all, I was watching a movie on it and it just shut down. when I tried restarting it in normal mode i would get to the welcome symbol after what seemed an eternity of loading, but then the screen just went black. when I...
General Discussion
No internet in normal mode but works in safe mode with networking
Hi! I'm just a new here, hope someone can help and give advice here. (Sorry if this is not the right thread to start my topic) Scenario: (this is my first time to encounter this problem) While playing facebook games last monday, my computer get BSOD and restarts. After booting up on windows,...
Network & Sharing
Poor upload speed in normal mode, fine in safe mode
My speedtest.net performance is 30 Mbps download, and between 0.3 and 2.0 Mbps upload. If I start in safe mode with netorking, I get download and upload speeds of 25-30, my contracted speeds. Obviously, something loading in the full mode interferes with upload speed. I have tried restarting in...
Network & Sharing
XP mode INTERNET faster??
I noticed today that my download speeds went for 1.08 mb/s to 1.34 mb/s when I am in xp mode.
Virtualization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App