Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Networking - aka Black Magic!


19 Nov 2009   #1

Windows 7
 
 
Networking - aka Black Magic!

I've always thought of networking as one of the black arts.

4 PCs - One Vista, 2 Windows 7 Home Premium, 1 Windows 7 Ultimate. All see each other. All have appropriate folders shared.
Try accessing A from B and I get "Enter Network Password (to connect to B)". I never set one up to start with, so why is it asking me for it. How do I access/change something I never set?

Try accessing B from A - I see the PC, and the folders I want but trying to access them results in "You do not have permissionto access folder\names\ Contact your network administrator - who he? Obviously me but I don't know what the answer is!

Trying similar things with the other two PCs in the mix results in various permutations of the same problem.

I have tried all the various links suggested through Networking and Help, but most of the actions seem to be boxes to click to make the PCs try to sort themselves out. When it fails I can't find a manual way of trying to sort it out.

Any suitable tutorials that may help? Couldn't see any.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Nov 2009   #2

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
I've always thought of networking as one of the black arts.

4 PCs - One Vista, 2 Windows 7 Home Premium, 1 Windows 7 Ultimate. All see each other. All have appropriate folders shared.
Try accessing A from B and I get "Enter Network Password (to connect to B)". I never set one up to start with, so why is it asking me for it. How do I access/change something I never set?

Try accessing B from A - I see the PC, and the folders I want but trying to access them results in "You do not have permissionto access folder\names\ Contact your network administrator - who he? Obviously me but I don't know what the answer is!

Trying similar things with the other two PCs in the mix results in various permutations of the same problem.

I have tried all the various links suggested through Networking and Help, but most of the actions seem to be boxes to click to make the PCs try to sort themselves out. When it fails I can't find a manual way of trying to sort it out.

Any suitable tutorials that may help? Couldn't see any.
Hi and welcome

Networking has that mystique. I would suspect you are using homegroup given the password prompts. At its best homegroup is simply bad. It uses IPv6, which is buggy and causes random drops, slow downloads and connectivity issues.

Workgroup, also available in win 7 uses the older IPv4. It works better in mixed environments, is more relaibe, and easier to connect to.

You can change from homegroup to workgroup easily in networking and sharing.
After the change y ou should be able to connect more easily and without password if you choose.

I hope this helps and let us know if you need help with this


Ken J++
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #3

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
It uses IPv6, which is buggy and causes random drops, slow downloads and connectivity issues.
No, IPv6 is not buggy and does not cause those issues. IPv6 is only used when it is used. Otherwise IPv4 is being used. If you are having problems with IPv6 being on then it is down to the hardware and its drivers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


19 Nov 2009   #4

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by logicearth View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
It uses IPv6, which is buggy and causes random drops, slow downloads and connectivity issues.
No, IPv6 is not buggy and does not cause those issues. IPv6 is only used when it is used. Otherwise IPv4 is being used. If you are having problems with IPv6 being on then it is down to the hardware and its drivers.
Hate to say it Ken but I agree with logic...I have had no issues and have heard of no issues directly caused by the IPv6 protocol...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #5

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
Try accessing A from B and I get "Enter Network Password (to connect to B)". I never set one up to start with, so why is it asking me for it. How do I access/change something I never set?
By default you need to have a password set to access the computer from the network. I bet if you assign a password, these problems will be solved well most anyways. There is a way to turn that off tho. In Local Security Policy (Also known as Securty Configuration Managerment) > Local Policies > Security Options, look for "Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only" and set it to Disabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #6

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Logic, Zid

I will fully accept you have had no problems with IPv6, and homegroup. I think many of the people who are having difficulties would disagree.

I see no difference on my system.

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post
Logic, Zid

I will fully accept you have had no problems with IPv6, and homegroup. I think many of the people who are having difficulties would disagree.

I see no difference on my system.

Ken
The Majority of the cases where IPv6 has been the suspect have ended up with being another issue altogether...

There is a certain stigma attached to IPv6...I don't know who started it but it one of the first things people blame when a networking issue occurs...

IPv6 is the future...I doubt it is the issue causer...

As for homegroup...that is a different matter
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2009   #8

Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
 
 

Just doing some simple test, I had no issues with turning Homegroup on while still using the workgroup and connected to a computer running Vista and both has IPv6 enabled. The only thing I had to do was set the Local Security Policy setting, because the account on the Vista computer was without a password.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Nov 2009   #9

Windows 7
 
 

Sorry to have started the difference of opinion! Once I extract the answers to my problems from the debate I'll have a go.

Too late to try tonight - my internet connection was zapped all day by the problems at Workington and Cockermouth. I thank God that was the worst of my problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Networking - aka Black Magic!




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Networking - aka Black Magic!
Thread Forum
- gameplay recording - HDfury4 , black magic intensity pro Gaming
Black screen, safe mode, no networking General Discussion
Partition magic with win 7 Software
BT engineer is magic! Chillout Room
Black Magic with WinXP Boot.ini and Windows 7 boot file General Discussion
Partition Magic Software

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33