dont need to do any of that when you experiencing the security key problem, here is a quick and best way to solve it.
First is basic.
Windows xp is an old OS, the best securiy type for xp is WEP, Mac also majorly support WEP, so as well your ipods, wireless cell phones & Printers, etc. so you see the difference, WPA PERSONAL & WPA 2 PERSONAL and others are majorly supported by windows vista and windows seven. yes wpa and wpa 2 personal are high end security types and gives you sliglty faster speed for wireless networks. where as the wep make your net little bit slower but gives you decent security and compatibility with major hardwares/products available in todays market.
1) Open your router page from any of your computer, which is connected to the router using wired or wireless connection. (to do so open cmd, check your default gateway using ipconfig and type default gateway in your internet explorer's address bar, majorly the default gateways aree 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1
2) once the router page is open, proceed towards security tab, where you can change the password and security mode, select security mode as WEP and type your password 10 digits in key 1 or key 2 feild. make sure its only numbers.
3) save settings close internet explorer, you can also use any other browser,, such as mozilla. (make sure you also remmeber your network name /SSID after this step or write it down exactly on peice of paper).
4) proceed to control panel & then network and sharing center/ network and internet connections. here, the steps change depending on your operating system, but the goal for all the operating system is same. (we have to create a manual profile for wireless network)
5) how to create a manual profile?
first right click on on wireless lan network, or anything that says wireless on network connections page. click on properties. click on wireless tab, (note if you dont have wireless tab, you will need to enable wireless zero configuration service), once you are on wireless tab make sure, that the first checkbox is checked that says let windows configure my wireless connection. below that there's a white box that says preferred networks, remove all the networks / ssid from that box. after that click on add and thats how you create it manually by inserting all the information in here manually such as ssid, passphrase or passkey, security mode which is now & should be WEP)
same is for windows vista and 7
proceed to control panel and netowrk and sharing center. click on manage wireless networks. remove all the wireless networks from here, then click on add. click on manuall add a network. insert your network name/ssid, passhrase/passkey/password, then select security type as WEP. click next and finish.
bingo you are done, no need to do osri or any other thing.
JUST REMMEMBER WEP IS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL THE WIRELESS EQUIPMENTS AVAILABLE TODAY, WPA AND WPA 2 PERSONAL ARE STILL NOT.