Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Changing MAC address in windows 7

21 Nov 2009   #1
hellbound1988

Windows 7 Professional
 
 
Changing MAC address in windows 7

Hi there,

I m a new windows 7 user. I have got a windows 7 professional edition. I have updated my pc from win XP. But i m confused how can i change the mac address of my wireless lan. It's vendor is Broadcom and drivers are installed automatically by windows 7. Previous version of windows i was able to change the mac address and i had to do it because at my school's hotspot i have registered my Ipod's mac address so in case i take my laptop in school i have to change my laptop's mac to the ipod's. It was easy in windows xp. But in windows 7 it seems to be a problem. Any solution guyz ??


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Nov 2009   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hellbound1988 View Post
Hi there,

I m a new windows 7 user. I have got a windows 7 professional edition. I have updated my pc from win XP. But i m confused how can i change the mac address of my wireless lan. It's vendor is Broadcom and drivers are installed automatically by windows 7. Previous version of windows i was able to change the mac address and i had to do it because at my school's hotspot i have registered my Ipod's mac address so in case i take my laptop in school i have to change my laptop's mac to the ipod's. It was easy in windows xp. But in windows 7 it seems to be a problem. Any solution guyz ??
Hi and welcome

Its an added security feature (bug) that is difficult to do, at best

Sorry

Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2009   #3
hellbound1988

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

Hi and welcome

Its an added security feature (bug) that is difficult to do, at best

Sorry

Ken
Thanks mate

I just wanna know is there anyway. Because in Linux and MacOS it is fairly an easy process to change mac address
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Nov 2009   #4
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by hellbound1988 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zigzag3143 View Post

Hi and welcome

Its an added security feature (bug) that is difficult to do, at best

Sorry

Ken
Thanks mate

I just wanna know is there anyway. Because in Linux and MacOS it is fairly an easy process to change mac address
They removed the ability to change the MAC address from within Windows...a third party app will be necessary
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2009   #5
torrentg

7600.20510 x86
 
 

The ability actually depends on the driver in use.

I have the ability in mine, natively.


Attached Images
Changing MAC address in windows 7-capture.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Nov 2009   #6
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
The ability actually depends on the driver in use.

I have the ability in mine, natively.
I forgot about that little detail...I have been contemplating on a memory I had of a friend who changed his in 7 and was wondering why I don't have that function...

Looks like Intel and Broadcom removed the ability for me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #7
hellbound1988

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by torrentg View Post
The ability actually depends on the driver in use.

I have the ability in mine, natively.
I have the same network address parameter in the adapter settings and changed it. But it wont work when i type ipconfig /all i use to see the old mac address of mine. Even i have changed the information in the registry manually and it didn't worked
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #8
andygr

WinXP
 
 

Your MAC must start with 12. THen it should work. This is M$ antiwardriving feature? or just a bug. Go over to the TechNet board for details. Lots of people are going mad about this one.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #9
hellbound1988

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andygr View Post
Your MAC must start with 12. THen it should work. This is M$ antiwardriving feature? or just a bug. Go over to the TechNet board for details. Lots of people are going mad about this one.
my mac starts with 00 not 12. You know some technet board where i can find the solutions ??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Nov 2009   #10
andygr

WinXP
 
 

Sorry for not being clear. The NEW network addr (MAC) you specify must start with 12. Check here: Cannot change MAC address in windows 7 - driver has option, doesnt work, neither does regedit, MS this is a BUG, fix it!

RGDS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Changing MAC address in windows 7




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
My Ip Address Keeps On Changing!! Help
Hey guys i have a problem here im trying to host some gaming servers but my ip keeps on changing. Can you help me to make it stop changing ? Im using a WRT54GL linksys router.
Network & Sharing
changing the size of the address bar in IE9?
I am wondering if there is a way to condense the address bar in IE9? It's two rows by defualt. I'd prefer it to be one. Any thought's?
Browsers & Mail
Stop client from changing nstatic IP address
Is it possible to stop someone changing their IP address, or setting their system to DHCP? I have ACLs defined and somone is changing their IP address to get around the rules. This only applies to one rogue person who just won't play by the rules, so I'd prefer not to make everyone suffer because...
Network & Sharing
Changing my ISP IP Address?
Well the reason why is because i share (well used to share) internet with my neighbors ever since they got me banned on stickam (ip banned). I go to stickam to hangout and meet people on the internet for fun. And there was a feature called "Shuffle", where you randomly meet someone who is using...
Network & Sharing
changing mac address?
how do i change my mac address. i have windows 7 with a 32 bit op system.
Network & Sharing
Changing mac address airlive WT-2000pci
Hi. I'm having problem with my airlive WT-2000pci wireless card. I want to change mac address/network address under windows 7 x64bit 7600rtm but with no luck. I'm using latest official drivers for 64bit vista, I have even tried older drivers but nothing helps. When I log onto windows XP i can...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App